• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Plastic(polmer)knives

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

asforme wrote:
Secondly, a place with medal detectors is where I most want a weapon.
"Medal detector?" Is that what they used at the Phoenix airport when the stopped Joe Foss from boarding the plane with his Medal of Honor? :p

Getting back on topic, I don't believe the widespread availability of common weapons increases the threat of terrorism or aids terrorists or the criminal-minded-- no, a bigger aid to terrorismis theunavailablity of weapons in the hands of citizens making it much more difficult for them to defend themselves.

As has been pointed out, with a minimum of creativity many things can be used as weapons.Plastic knives? Bah! A totally non-metalic firearm could be made by anyoneat their kitchen table.

METAL dectectors are not infallible, the weakest link being, naturally, the operator. I'vetaken two standard steel knives through 3 metal detectors in New York City without detection. I'm no ninja or Jedi knight, so anyone could have done the same thing. Most security is a joke and at best will only screen out the most obvious things. Determined and creative people will always be a step ahead of security steps. Accept that. The best defense is, literally, to enable and allow people to defend themselves. Not to force them into a position of helplessness.

Tomahawk

imported post

Placementvs.Calibur wrote:
Wow! No background checks...hmm.I'm gonna go on record and saythat there are some laws regarding the purcahsing of firearms/knives I agree with and I don't care what you guysthink because the laws are in place and aren't going anywhere.
That's what the antis thought about CC laws in states like Virginia a few years back. I hear they're saving some crow in the fridge for anyone else who'd like a bite some day.
I like to obey laws...
That's a very curious philosophy.

In any case, I don't think plastic knives are illegal yet, so there's no law for you to follow there.

The right to keep and bear arms is a right. Background checks, bans, registration, blah blah blah, it's all against the highest law to begin with.

And what got all those people killed on 9/11 wasn't Clinton's failure to ban the dreaded plastic knife, but the ban on armed self-defense by passengers and crew, coupled with over-reliance on incompetent government agencies to provide a security blanket.

The solution to terrorism isn't to restrict more freedom, it's to remove restrictions on freedom. Your argument that banning inanimate objects will somehow magically make you safer makes no sense, and to see why just go across the Potomac for a fine example.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I follow the laws too, but only because I have a wife and child and have too much to lose by going to jail. However I commend someone willing to take a stand for the principals that the founders of this country fought for. The 2nd Amendment was to put us at equal footing with the government, CCW laws and self-defense are secondary, the constitution has already been tossed out the window.

savery

imported post

peter nap wrote:
savery wrote:
People have been killing each other for a long ass time now. I don't think that getting rid of plastic knives is going to stop that.

Just remember... DIESEL FUEL and FERTILIZER.... the choice of BOMB MAKERS... Ooops, damn - I meant farmers.
Damn, I didn't think of that. I've been stocking up on diesel. Bought 320 gallons yesterday. I sure hope I don't have some squarehead snooping around my tractor.:shock:

Naah, after that they'd know you wouldn't have had any change left over for fertilizer. :what:

Point is... if someone can kill a bunch of people with common agricultural commodities, i don't think banning sharpened plastic is going to save anyone.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OK...... I don't need someone I don't know telling me to relax when I perfectly am, and I certainly don't need an education on what can be utilized as a weapon. I believe I stated that I know anything can be used as weapon. Hell, even a freakin' spork could scoop your eye out.I carry a firearm where ever legal and a knife 100% of the time. My job requires I carry some kind of blade always. However, I don't see the need to be armed in a situation where metal detectors are being used for security. Any incident involving an OC'erwould fuel the anti-gunners more than any statement I've made in this post. Just as there's left wing commie liberals there are paranoid-psycho right wingers.Granted, I trust the fellow members on this blog would know what they're doing, and in control of their anger/fears if they make it through the metal detectors even though the same respect wasn't afforded to me.Switch blades and OTF knives are illegal to purchase and carry in VA unless you're an emergency response person(police, fireman, emt). Before the hater's start I know there are ways around the purchase of OTF/switchblades in VA, but if you get caught carrying it, weapons charge. I don't like the law and would rather carry a Microtech-Ultratech, but have settled for my speed-safe Kershaw. My point with my original post is that nothing was done(by Clinton) before 9/11 to prevent it and now the things being done don't make much sense. This is an example of something available to the terrorist's over the counter, and there's no background check involved. Similar to the training received by the terrorist who didn't learn how to fly a plane, but instead keep it stable until.......:cuss:

So maybe I did not understand your first post. And I sure as heck do not seem to understand this one, either.

Unless the understanding you wantedme to take away was that you are strongly in favor of background checks being required for the purchase of firearms, and that you feel those same background checks should be extended to the purchase of plastic knives. Oh, yes, almost missed this part - Clinton was responsible for the terrorist acts committed on Sept. 11, 2001 because he did nothing about those things before those acts were committed.

Hope I got everything covered, and that I'm understanding you correctly now. No sarcasm intended but there is no non-smiley to indicate that I do not intend to be sarcastic.

You say "This is an example of something available to the terrorist's over the counter, and there's no background check involved" after saying "I believe I stated that I know anything can be used as weapon." So are you saying that there ought to be a background check completed before I buy an ice cream cone? Because I guarantee you I can kill you instantaneously with a common pointy-ended ice cream cone. Using the cup cones may actually require two or three seconds for death to take place because you deploy those cones differently.

(No, I am not a ninja, have never studied ninjitsu, and never served as any kind or type of special force soldier. I have, however, been exposed to an awful lot of nastiness and learned lessons well. Just saying that in case you wonder how I know how to kill with a cup cone.)

I do not have the "official" statistics in front of me, and am not going to go look for them. I'm going to presume some things and sit back waiting for anybody to present evidence that refutes my presumptions. I'm going to presume that:

1 - background checks run on folks who should not be allowed to play with firearms or sharp/pointy things stop only a relatively small fraction of the people who submit themselves to background checks, and

2 - most folks who already know they are likely to flunk a background check but want a firearm or sharp/pointythings are going to find a way to obtain said items without going through any background check.

If both presumptions hold water, it suggests that background checks merely vett the good guys and do little to stop the bad guys.

But you and I both know that making people pass background checks shows that we areDOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT - whatever that something is and whatever the "it" is. Just as checking the shoes of little old ladies for explosives before we let them get on a plane has DONE SOMETHING to prevent some lunatic terrorist from seizing control of a jetliner and crashing it into a building. But the problem is that the previous lunatic terrorists had boxcutters, not explosives. And the lunatic (still not sure he was also a terrorist) who had explosives in his shoe was so incompetent as to be comical rather than frightening.

I'm going to lump "However, I don't see the need to be armed in a situation where metal detectors are being used for security. Any incident involving an OC'erwould fuel the anti-gunners more than any statement I've made in this post" together just like you did. Metal detectors do not provide security - they merely serve as a means of alerting those who provide security that there is something they might want to check on to see if it needs to be taken away. And any incident involving an OC'er (or CC'er) would be cause for being thankful that someone was there to DO SOMETHING while everybody else was waiting for the cops to show up - if they wanted to, as opposed to fueling the antis. Sure, afterwards somebody is going to say that in general everybody is better off being a good witness and calling 911. But they forget that those who might be witnesses (good, bad, or indifferent) or who might call 911 may also end up being dead or injured while playing that role.

I am not advocating that anybody ignore the laws or rules/policies that prohibit carrying firearms past certain points. I'm just trying to point out that by creating dead lines (places beyond which you cannot go) you are creating places where there is a greater chance people can become dead merely because they are forbidden a convenient and effective means of self protection.

If you still think that I did not get your point, I ask that you treat me as a very simple person and spell it out in words of few letters, using very direct statements.

stay safe.

skidmark

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I make light of a lot of things and sometimes it's hard to know when I'm serious or not. Just so you know, I'm serious.You seem to have been offended that people didn't care for your concern over unregulated plastic knives :shock:. Instead of being offended, you should be ashamed.
Do you really think background checks, regulations, restrictions, etc. would make one bit of difference.

Do you want your children to grow up to be good little servants to our government, to inform on their parents and neighbors, to learn morals and standards from the school resource officer.

I pity you if you do.
The day George Bush looked the American public in the eye and said "You have to give up some freedom to stay safe" I decided Bubba could kiss my a$$ cause I wasn't giving up anything!

I generally dislike historical quotes, especially since some members in other states sound like Chinese fortune cookie makers, gone American...but this one always stands out for me. It pretty well says it all.

“Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains or slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take but as for me; give me liberty or give me death!”

Marco

imported post

WTF!!
Ban plastic knives just because you see no need for them??

Gee, people say the same thing about MG's, SBR's, SBS's, Silencer's, military style rifles, hunting riflesand handguns.

They do serve a purpose.
Some of the best plastic knives I've come across were designed as tools for EOD personnel, othershave taken that idea and ran with it.

Blackie Collins makes a excellent folder designedas a letter opener that is spring assisted similar to aKershaw Blackout.

Just encase you didn't know knives with a 3"blade or less where allowed on planes prior to 9/11 for domestic flights and < 2" blades for international flights.

[line]
Maybe we should ban vehicle engines larger than 4cyl since that is all that is really needed for most transportion.
People wanting something larger should have to obtain a permit and submit a request stating why they need a larger engine.

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

Background checks referring to firearms/knives(OTF, and automatics) to include proving you're an emergency response person to buy/carry those knives. I know there are no laws regarding the sale of polymer knives. Get a grip people you're coming at me with info I already know, coincidently I agree with our carry laws. I know based on history though that these knives will fly under the radar until some inner city kid gets through the medal detectors at school or even worse terrorists hijack a plane with them. This forum is for exchanging ideas and info you might not like what I say and I may notlike what you say, but we're here with acommon interest. To address the background checks in VA our State has a democratic governor who would never do away with them, nor would any Republican for that matter. You're sniffin' glue if you think in our lifetime the background check for a firearm will be lifted. If it is then serve me some crow, wouldn't be my first one. Enough with the Second Amendmenttirade I get it.

ufcfanvt

imported post

... That said, it's not a problem untila group of people(if you can call them that)brings down the Twin Towers with box-cutters. No disrespect to the hero's of 9/11.
There were not enough heros on 9/11 because in America today, we do not respect Heros!
Our society as a whole is responsible for the twin towers falling and for the Pentagon being hit. You cannot rightly blame box cutters, bomb threats, Bill Clinton, or oil.

We are taught to be complacent sheep at a young age and therefore we, from-time-to-time, die the death of a complacent sheep.

The Heros on Flight 93 are only heros now because they heeded their instinctual mandate to resist and counter attack. For that I applaud them, but I must say that the lesson didn't stick w/ the rest of us. :(

ufcfanvt

imported post

... these knives will fly under the radar until some inner city kid gets through the medal detectors at school or even worse terrorists hijack a plane with them. ...
I simply can't let this go.
If a terrorist uses this or ANYTHING else to hijack a plane at this point, I cannot blame him, his mulla (sp?), his mother, Allah, or the wife-beater Muhammed.
I will blame the people on the plane. This goes for the subway, the synagogue, the school, and the soda machine too.

Without a little self-reliance and some guts, I assure you we will fall and we will deserve it!

expvideo

imported post

Hold on one second. Back up. We're worried about knives falling into the wrong hands? You realize that knives have been around for about 30000 years, right? And that up until recently, they weren't made of metal. The origional knives could go through metal detectors as well, because they were stone or bone.

Just because something could be used for evil is not a reason to ban it. The problem is the person, not the tool. The terrorists were able to take down a plane with box cutters. That means that they could have used anything, because apparently enough people are too big of pu**ies to stand up to a guy with a damn box cutter, so I don't see why they would stand up to a guy with a big stick or a baseball either. Banning things doesn't fix anything, and if you're affraid of bad people having knives, you really need to pull your head out of your ass and realize that they've been around longer than the written or even the spoken word.

Don't be such a wuss. We're in America. Either enjoy your freedom or shut up, but don't try to "reason" away mine.

ScottyT

imported post

I see weapons like this as a damn good reason to allow law-abiding citizens to be armed at all times, period. Including airplanes, courthouses, hospitals, post offices, schools... EVERYWHERE. You think Achmed (or Pablo or Steve) will try to hijack a plane with his plastic knife when half the passengers are carrying? Wasn't it the governor of Texas who proposed that there be NO restrictions on where to carry?

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

I myself made the decision to open carry regularly after 9/11. Yes, I know, the goverment nor the police are going to save you. We are at war with a belief that will never go away. I'll never forget what happened on9/11 or the people from all the tragedies this day be it the victims, their families,the rescue/police/recovery/construction people involved. Those are the heroes of 9/11. My most vivid memory of that day were the people who fell/jumped from the towers, those people had balls! I will never forget the brave service men and women around the world in harms way then and now. My post was based on a concern that I have thatour enemies are looking for their next window of opportunity be it Al-Queda or the anti-gunners. PIECE!

ScottyT

imported post

Just checked out the Cold Steel website, these suckers are more affordable than I imagined! I actually think I am going to order one right now and check it out. Thanks for bringing these innovative tools to my attention!

FogRider

imported post

Background checks referring to firearms/knives(OTF, and automatics) to include proving you're an emergency response person to buy/carry those knives. I know there are no laws regarding the sale of polymer knives. Get a grip people you're coming at me with info I already know, coincidently I agree with our carry laws. I know based on history though that these knives will fly under the radar until some inner city kid gets through the medal detectors at school or even worse terrorists hijack a plane with them. This forum is for exchanging ideas and info you might not like what I say and I may notlike what you say, but we're here with acommon interest. To address the background checks in VA our State has a democratic governor who would never do away with them, nor would any Republican for that matter. You're sniffin' glue if you think in our lifetime the background check for a firearm will be lifted. If it is then serve me some crow, wouldn't be my first one. Enough with the Second Amendmenttirade I get it.
So, carrying weapons is A-OK to you, as long as it is a weapon you are not afraid of. How is this any different than an anti-gun argument? You like guns, so you are ok with me carrying one. You don't like polymer knives (for some baseless "it could get through a metal detector" reason), so they should be banned/heavily regulated. Here is an interesting/helpful mental game to play by yourself: when you are making an argument like this, replace whatever you want to get rid of with something you like and see if your arguments still hold water. Example:

I agree with our carry laws. I know based on history though that these screwdrivers/nail files/other-possibly-lethal-item-that-is-not-generally-considered-a-weapon will fly under the radar until some inner city kid gets through the medal detectors at school or even worse terrorists hijack a plane with them.

Now how is that any different than what you are worried about?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I can't believe this is still going on. It's like arguing with Sarah Brady!:banghead:

ScottyT

imported post

I just ordered one! I think it is the perfect backpacking knife, since it weighs just under an ounce! Mostly I was just curious to check them out. I have to thank the OP for bringing these to my attention.

Marco

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Blackie Collins makes a excellent folder designedas a letter opener that is spring assisted similar to aKershaw Blackout.

These can be had for < $10 + shipping

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ScottyT wrote:
I just ordered one! I think it is the perfect backpacking knife, since it weighs just under an ounce! Mostly I was just curious to check them out. I have to thank the OP for bringing these to my attention.

Be sure to give a review when you get it. I'm a bit skeptical and wonder how sharp a polymer knife would actually be, especially for backpacking. Can it cut through brush?

On a more related note: My father is a pilot and has told me that before 9/11 pilots were taught to cooperate with a hijacker. Talk about discouraging heroism in America. These knives could be exactly what the next hero needs since our government is constantly doing anything they can to disarm potential heros where they are needed most.