• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pembroke Mall Now Posted!!!!!!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The no firearms signs have no weight Bob, except to notify the person that he is not allowed in with a firearm.

If he ignores the sign, he can be charged with trespassing because he has been told to NOT come in if he has a gun.

I have a similar problem on the farm. Virginia law allows dog hunters to enter posted property to retrieve their dogs.

They cannot take a gun or vehicle. They use that law as an excuse to hunt posted property.

I get convictions based on game camera pictures of them with a gun passing the NO TRESPASSING signs.

tapper95

imported post

Instead of making a stand by ignoring the sign (and martyring yourself and your rights), if Pembroke Mall is such an important place to go, why not attempt toeducate the management? It could fall on deaf ears, but it could also be a spark that brings them to change their policy, or at least amend it.

Give the facts, explain some logic, and ask them to base their policy on current VA law. What many of them want is already illegal... and what they fear will not be stopped by a piece of laminated cardstock...

In the past, we have had people here who have brought about change in situations like this by having the local management educated by upper managment... WalMart is one that I know of... One of our members got an apology from a local manager after getting the higher level of management involved.

Being hard-arses just angers the antis (and those on the fence) to more extreme measures... They could go on a sign posting rampage, and try to blockSnubby,Beretta 92f, and 1911 access to every business...

This just doesn't seem the place to make the proverbial stand...

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

peter nap wrote:
The no firearms signs have no weight Bob, except to notify the person that he is not allowed in with a firearm.

If he ignores the sign, he can be charged with trespassing because he has been told to NOT come in if he has a gun.

I have a similar problem on the farm. Virginia law allows dog hunters to enter posted property to retrieve their dogs.

They cannot take a gun or vehicle. They use that law as an excuse to hunt posted property.

I get convictions based on game camera pictures of them with a gun passing the NO TRESPASSING signs.
I just read that one about the dogs too. I still thought there was some clause or code somewhere that required it to be made to the individual.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
"or after having been forbidden to do so by a sign "

There you go Bob.... "Forbidden" being the keyword. :D

Well, since my gun is not only afraid of the dark (so I HAVE to OC), he's afraid to go places alone so I always have to be with him. :p

Since he's committed to defending me and my family, the least I can do is stick by him and anywhere he's not welcome...I'm not welcome.

Neplusultra

imported post

The real way, IMO, to solve this personal property rights/right to self-defense issue is for someone to get shot on their property and then sue their ever living pants off for failure to protect them after disarming them. After that malls will do a cost/benefit analysis and see the light.

hsmith

imported post

tapper95 wrote:
Instead of making a stand by ignoring the sign (and martyring yourself and your rights), if Pembroke Mall is such an important place to go, why not attempt toeducate the management? It could fall on deaf ears, but it could also be a spark that brings them to change their policy, or at least amend it.

Give the facts, explain some logic, and ask them to base their policy on current VA law. What many of them want is already illegal... and what they fear will not be stopped by a piece of laminated cardstock...

In the past, we have had people here who have brought about change in situations like this by having the local management educated by upper managment... WalMart is one that I know of... One of our members got an apology from a local manager after getting the higher level of management involved.

Being hard-arses just angers the antis (and those on the fence) to more extreme measures... They could go on a sign posting rampage, and try to blockSnubby,Beretta 92f, and 1911 access to every business...

This just doesn't seem the place to make the proverbial stand...
I agree and I will add.

MAKE SURE you also write the stores which you shop at and CC the mall management on those letters. Let them know you are taking your business elsewhere!

MONEY TALKS! Especially in a slowing economy, stores don't want to see someone that spends $100-$1000 a year there going elsewhere. Write the store manager, write the district manager, write the regional manager. Let EVERYONE know that law abiding people are being discriminated against and you won't have any part in it.

LEO 229

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
The real way, IMO, to solve this personal property rights/right to self-defense issue is for someone to get shot on their property and then sue their ever living pants off for failure to protect them after disarming them. After that malls will do a cost/benefit analysis and see the light.
Nice try..... but they have no obligation to protect you whether you were armed or not.

cdunlop

imported post

I guess I Stired up some fun? Look I said " if I go there" when Lynnhaven post I made the decision to never go back and spend my money there. I do not just go around and break the law. It just sucks, b/c untill now Pembroke and Mac Arthur are the only malls in the area that have not posted. If I recall there was a discussion on a person in the Barnes and nobel @ Lynnhaven, who carried in there CC. It doesnt make it right but, whats more important, your life or a sticker on a door?

LEO 229

imported post

cdunlop wrote:
I guess I Stired up some fun? Look I said " if I go there" when Lynnhaven post I made the decision to never go back and spend my money there. I do not just go around and break the law. It just sucks, b/c untill now Pembroke and Mac Arthur are the only malls in the area that have not posted. If I recall there was a discussion on a person in the Barnes and nobel @ Lynnhaven, who carried in there CC. It doesnt make it right but, whats more important, your life or a sticker on a door?
Let me just say that I, as a LEO, am not exempt from those signs either while off duty.

Let me also say that... my wife and I go armed EVERYWHERE we go and nobody ever knows.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
cdunlop wrote:
Let me just say that I, as a LEO, am not exempt from those signs either while off duty.

Let me also say that... my wife and I go armed EVERYWHERE we go and nobody ever knows.

Hush now!:D

We'll have to come up wuth a code for that.

I used to have to spend some time in the local FBI office several times a week. One day I asked if I had to leave my gun in the car and he replied with a grin, yes....I don't see one so I guess you did.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

While the topic is being discussed I have a question. The mall has posted no firearms, the Sears store entrance has not. I already know the signs are posted in the mall and do not want to ignore them. Can I with no fear of being accused of trespassing, shop just in the Sears as long as I don't enter into the hallways of the mall?

LEO 229

imported post

asforme wrote:
While the topic is being discussed I have a question. The mall has posted no firearms, the Sears store entrance has not. I already know the signs are posted in the mall and do not want to ignore them. Can I with no fear of being accused of trespassing, shop just in the Sears as long as I don't enter into the hallways of the mall?
If you enter Sears from an outside door and they had no sign... and you STAYED in Sears... I would say,IMO,that technically you are OK. I do not believe the mall can place this restriction on the stores unless it is in the lease agreement.

If they could... the mall could control what the renters could sell at any time. :lol:

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
"or after having been forbidden to do so by a sign "

There you go Bob.... "Forbidden" being the keyword. :D
If you are off duty or on non official business then the sight would apply to LEO's also correct? If not, why not?

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
cdunlop wrote: Let me just say that I, as a LEO, am not exempt from those signs either while off duty.

However, I and most others who have been confronted while OCing the first question we are asked is if we are Law Enforcement. I'll bet if we answered yes the manager or whoever would just walk away.

LEO 229

imported post

asforme wrote:
However, I and most others who have been confronted while OCing the first question we are asked is if we are Law Enforcement. I'll bet if we answered yes the manager or whoever would just walk away.
That could happen.

It is up to the property owner to decide if he wants to make an exception.

Please do not hate the LEO for being trusted on the property.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

I don't hate you, I'm jealous. :p

I try to be very respectful of property rights and if my gun is not wanted I stay out. I just wish people who make these policies would be consistant, if an LEOs life is important enough to allow him to carry, I should be able to as well. But I certainly wouldn't wish them to take away the exception, putting more lives in danger by disarming the LEOs doesn't help anybody.

LEO 229

imported post

asforme wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

I don't hate you, I'm jealous. :p

I try to be very respectful of property rights and if my gun is not wanted I stay out. I just wish people who make these policies would be consistant, if an LEOs life is important enough to allow him to carry, I should be able to as well. But I certainly wouldn't wish them to take away the exception, putting more lives in danger by disarming the LEOs doesn't help anybody.

It is a perk of the job.

Do not think it is about "ones life being more valuable than another." or self defense.

I think it isabout who they would trust more to be there with a gun.

There are guys here that will shoot and kill a man for stealing tires off a car. A cop is not going to kill a man over property. They have been exposed to life and death situations and have been trainedon how to pick the best course of action.

The average citizen can pack a gun and needs no training or experience. The only experience they getis probably from playing Rainbow 6 or some other shoot 'em up game. :lol:

Being funny here people... laugh a little will ya'!!???

So a business will obviously feel better about a cop being there armed and allow him to stay. But they can also demand he leave and even have him charged if he was not there on business.

Neplusultra

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Nice try..... but they have no obligation to protect you whether you were armed or not.
You know we all went over this in some other thread a while ago. In it I, or someone, cited a SCOTUS decision that described the mall area as public space. I tried to find it but can't now. I think the argument is that they allow anyone and everyone to come into the mall, can't remember exactly.

Does anyone know this thread?

LEO 229

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
You know we all went over this in some other thread a while ago. In it I, or someone, cited a SCOTUS decision that described the mall area as public space. I tried to find it but can't now. I think the argument is that they allow anyone and everyone to come into the mall, can't remember exactly.

Does anyone know this thread?

Howis public space being defined?

Can I do anything I like there and not follow any mall rules? Pitch a tent and stay overnight maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_space

Non-government-owned malls are examples of 'private space' with the appearance of being 'public space'.

Examples

Typical differences between a public space and a private space are illustrated by comparing sitting on a public bench and sitting on a seat in a sidewalk cafe:

• In the first case, usage costs nothing, in the second it requires a purchase to be made.
  • In the first case, there is no time limitation (though loitering laws might apply), while in the second, money has to be spent at certain intervals.
  • In the first case, one is allowed to consume brought-along food and drink (alcohol consumption laws may restrict this), in the second case, this is usually prohibited.
  • In the first case, only general laws apply in terms of dress (such as prohibition of public nudity) and other aspects of public decency, in the second, stricter rules (such as a prohibition of being shirtless) may apply.