• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of Cabella's for OC!

Uraijit

imported post

Well, I've had my CWP for a few weeks now, and I finally got sick of not having an IWB holster. I don't really know exactly what I want, so I decided to just go with a cheap Uncle Mike's until I figure out what I want to spend some real money on.

My wife was at work, and then is working a shift at the fire station afterward, so I was alone for the day and evening. After getting my sleep for the day (I work nights) I decided to just run up to Cabella's 20 miles away, and pick up a holster.

While I was at it, I figured I'd get at least 1 XD-40 subcompact magazine, so that I can finally do the "grip chop" to my 'Service Model' XD. And, what the hell, while I'm spending money, I've been wanting to go to ceramic beads for my brass tumbler.

My brother texted me, and asked me to come help him look over the motorcycle that he's rebuilding, and make a list of what parts it still needed. I told him that I was going to run up to Cabella's first, and that he was welcome to come along. "I've never been there," he said, "I s'pose I'll tag along". I run a few blocks down the road and pick him up.

We travel the 20 miles or so, up to Alpine. After driving past the 2 entire rows of handicap parking, and remarking at how ridicules it is to waste that much parking that would NEVER be used at that store, we saunter inside, making small-talk and searching for the object of my desire--a Uncle Mikes Size #15 Sidekick IWB Holster.

Now, I can't ever really figure out the layout of this place... They have the store laid out in sections--Guns, Gun Accessories, Clothing, Boats, Fishing, etc. But within each section, there doesn't really seem to be any logic to any of it. Each isle seems to have a little bit of everything in it. So you have to check each isle.

Isle 1 has about 5 holsters, "Blackhawks, and a couple of Galcos. Next to them, we have Coyote Calls, Paintballs, Shoelaces, .50 BMG reloading dies, and Trail Mix... Alright, lets try isle 2."

"...more Galcos, and some Uncle Mike's, but these ones appear to be only the Kydex ones... Next to them, we have .40 S&W reloading dies, a rifle sling, Glock Magazines, wool socks, Sig Sauer Night Sites... Hmmm, lets try the NEXT isle".

The next isle has another random assortment of products... "Hmm, .22 lr ammo, 30-06 reloading dies, ah, here's a couple holsters..."

So about 3 min. into this little Yard-sale experience, up walks a guy in a tan shirt. He says "I'm _____ [Didn't catch the name] with Cabella's Asset Protection [meaning he's supposed to watch out for shoplifters] and you need to either take your gun back to your truck, or conceal it. Utah doesn't have an Open Carry Law."

I guess he doesn't realize that being that this is a free country, I don't need a law to tell me something's legal. Under our legal system, something's 'legal', unless it's 'illegal'.

Well, I'm a little taken aback. First of all, I find it incredibly odd that the first time ANYBODY has a problem with my gun, in over a year of open-carrying, it's at a Cabella's, of all places! And it's incredibly ironic that it just so happens to be when I'm trying to purchase a concealment holster!

He continues on, "...or give me the gun, and I'll lock it up..." At this point, I've heard enough. I don't feel like wasting my time explaining how, or why it's legal, to some drone who makes $8 an hour, who needs to feel important by telling me his views of the law.

"Okay, we'll eave," I say. "Okay, thank you," he replies. And then we leave.

I have no problem spending my money on the internet, and it seems that this is the thanks I get for making an effort to spend my money locally. It doesn't matter to me if they don't want my money, but I'm kinda hacked I burned the gas to go up there.

I'm going to be writing a letter to Cabella's Corporate Offices, and relaying my experience to them. I don't know if this is business as usual, but if it is, I will never set foot in Cabella's again.

So after we drive back and check little bro's bike over, we decide to go rent a movie. I have a Blockbuster Pass, so I take a movie back to exchange. Decided on Charlie Wilson's War (which is pretty good, BTW).

In the back of my mind, I'm still slightly self-conscious of the gun on my hip, even though I've carried in this store many times. I walk up to the counter, and hand over the movies. The guy at the counter smiles and says, "whatcha carrying there?" "Oh crap," I think, but reply, "It's a Springfield XD40." "Subcompact?", he asks. "Nope, it's a service model, but I'm going to do the 'grip chop' so it will have the shorter grip like the Subcompact". "Cool," he says, "you have a CWP?" "Yup." "Me too, I just got mine. I carry a Subcompact XD-40." "Cool!"

And I'd always heard that Blockbuster was uptight about guns...

GeneticsDave

imported post

Wow, that totally sucks. Sorry to hear you had a bad time there. I have OC'd there with no problems before.

If something like that happens, I would ask to speak with the General Manager. Something like this, "I was just informed by your employee that I must remove my firearm. He stated that Utah does not have an Open Carry Law, thus implying that openly carrying is illegal. Your employee is incorrect in his assumptions and Utah is in fact an Open Carry state where no laws prohibit openly carrying. While it is your right as a private entity to prohibit carrying, if you choose to do so, I will no longer patronize your establishment and I will not hesitate to share my experiences here with other gun owners. Do you wish me to leave your store?" If yes, "What is your name? I respect your decision and will be writing a letter to Cabella's headquarters notifying them of my negative experience here and will be including both your name along with your misinformed employee."

Turn up the heat on these guys. Let them know that you don't agree with their garbage. Granted, you still leave (don't do the Tresspassing sit-in), but don't just walk out either, they have a right to know they are wrong.

Oh, and make sure to invite other carriers (like the guy at Blockbuster) to OpenCarry.org or here in Utah, UtahConcealedCarry.com

Good job, don't stop the OC!

Uraijit

imported post

Yeah, I coulda done the whole making waves thing, but just wasn't really in the mood.

Like I said, I'm gonna send a letter to their corporate office, CC it to the store manager, and let my money do the rest of the talking.

The internet always seems to be eager to accept my business, and I can shop whenever I want. I can wear a gun, shop without shoes, or shop naked if I so desire...

And I get to stick it to the man by not paying any sales tax. ;)

I already wasn't in love with Cabellas. A while back, when I went there, an employee told me and the friend who was there with me that he thinks hunting is wrong... :shock: Go figure.

xmirage2kx

imported post

I go there about once a month and have not had a problem, my guess is it was just that persons views of how things work.

ScottyT

imported post

I read this over on XDTalk first and got a little nervous, but it looks like maybe it was just the one ignorant employee? Someone should call somebody with actual authority and find out for sure.

41 Magnum

imported post

Sounds like an individual employee on a power trip. I know we've held at least one OC meet there in the deli with management approval.

Also, the wife and I were in there monday for a few hours OC'ing, no one said a word. I am thier hunter ed instructor, and my wife is an ex-employee, so maybe that's why nothing was said, but I doubt it.

I'm starting a hunter ed class there tonight. I'll ask around, and see if I can find out if they've changed policies.

rocknsnow

imported post

Cabelas policyis that of whatever state it resides in. I will try to find the source of that. It was during the time of the oc lunch there that i found that out. I will try to get back with you guys on that.

Mainsail

imported post

The last time a Cabela’s employee told me I hade to go downstairs to get my OC pistol checked and strapped, I told him curtly, “No.” Then I scolded, “You know, a customer should never know your store’s policy better than the employees.” I’ve been accosted at Cabela’s four times and Sportsman’s Warehouse twice and I’d pretty much had enough.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Uraijit wrote:
Well, I've had my CWP for a few weeks now, and I finally got sick of not having an IWB holster. I don't really know exactly what I want, so I decided to just go with a cheap Uncle Mike's until I figure out what I want to spend some real money on.

My wife was at work, and then is working a shift at the fire station afterward, so I was alone for the day and evening. After getting my sleep for the day (I work nights) I decided to just run up to Cabella's 20 miles away, and pick up a holster.

While I was at it, I figured I'd get at least 1 XD-40 subcompact magazine, so that I can finally do the "grip chop" to my 'Service Model' XD. And, what the hell, while I'm spending money, I've been wanting to go to ceramic beads for my brass tumbler.

My brother texted me, and asked me to come help him look over the motorcycle that he's rebuilding, and make a list of what parts it still needed. I told him that I was going to run up to Cabella's first, and that he was welcome to come along. "I've never been there," he said, "I s'pose I'll tag along". I run a few blocks down the road and pick him up.

We travel the 20 miles or so, up to Alpine. After driving past the 2 entire rows of handicap parking, and remarking at how ridicules it is to waste that much parking that would NEVER be used at that store, we saunter inside, making small-talk and searching for the object of my desire--a Uncle Mikes Size #15 Sidekick IWB Holster.

Now, I can't ever really figure out the layout of this place... They have the store laid out in sections--Guns, Gun Accessories, Clothing, Boats, Fishing, etc. But within each section, there doesn't really seem to be any logic to any of it. Each isle seems to have a little bit of everything in it. So you have to check each isle.

Isle 1 has about 5 holsters, "Blackhawks, and a couple of Galcos. Next to them, we have Coyote Calls, Paintballs, Shoelaces, .50 BMG reloading dies, and Trail Mix... Alright, lets try isle 2."

"...more Galcos, and some Uncle Mike's, but these ones appear to be only the Kydex ones... Next to them, we have .40 S&W reloading dies, a rifle sling, Glock Magazines, wool socks, Sig Sauer Night Sites... Hmmm, lets try the NEXT isle".

The next isle has another random assortment of products... "Hmm, .22 lr ammo, 30-06 reloading dies, ah, here's a couple holsters..."

So about 3 min. into this little Yard-sale experience, up walks a guy in a tan shirt. He says "I'm _____ [Didn't catch the name] with Cabella's Asset Protection [meaning he's supposed to watch out for shoplifters] and you need to either take your gun back to your truck, or conceal it. Utah doesn't have an Open Carry Law."

I guess he doesn't realize that being that this is a free country, I don't need a law to tell me something's legal. Under our legal system, something's 'legal', unless it's 'illegal'.

Well, I'm a little taken aback. First of all, I find it incredibly odd that the first time ANYBODY has a problem with my gun, in over a year of open-carrying, it's at a Cabella's, of all places! And it's incredibly ironic that it just so happens to be when I'm trying to purchase a concealment holster!

He continues on, "...or give me the gun, and I'll lock it up..." At this point, I've heard enough. I don't feel like wasting my time explaining how, or why it's legal, to some drone who makes $8 an hour, who needs to feel important by telling me his views of the law.

"Okay, we'll eave," I say. "Okay, thank you," he replies. And then we leave.

I have no problem spending my money on the internet, and it seems that this is the thanks I get for making an effort to spend my money locally. It doesn't matter to me if they don't want my money, but I'm kinda hacked I burned the gas to go up there.

I'm going to be writing a letter to Cabella's Corporate Offices, and relaying my experience to them. I don't know if this is business as usual, but if it is, I will never set foot in Cabella's again.

So after we drive back and check little bro's bike over, we decide to go rent a movie. I have a Blockbuster Pass, so I take a movie back to exchange. Decided on Charlie Wilson's War (which is pretty good, BTW).

In the back of my mind, I'm still slightly self-conscious of the gun on my hip, even though I've carried in this store many times. I walk up to the counter, and hand over the movies. The guy at the counter smiles and says, "whatcha carrying there?" "Oh crap," I think, but reply, "It's a Springfield XD40." "Subcompact?", he asks. "Nope, it's a service model, but I'm going to do the 'grip chop' so it will have the shorter grip like the Subcompact". "Cool," he says, "you have a CWP?" "Yup." "Me too, I just got mine. I carry a Subcompact XD-40." "Cool!"

And I'd always heard that Blockbuster was uptight about guns...

I do nothing BUT OC when at Cabelas. We hada OC dinner there a few months back. I think we were about 6-8 + kids. We sat and ate for about an hour and after that walked around for about 30min.

Just an ignorant employee or "Cabella's Asset Protection":quirky.

Tell me when you will go there next I will come with you OPEN CARRYING. I will bring the little "code" book that I have and we will share the Laws with him.

TJ

trapperchik

imported post

You know this whole situation is interesting. I used to work at cabelas and I know they don't allow employees to carry period. I remember never seeing anything about customers; whereas the retail store I work at now specifies that neither customers or employees are allowed ANY sort of "weapon". With that in mind, 2 days ago my husband and I were there and I made the decision to OC. And I actually wastold by a fellow ex-coworker while conversing about a different matter that " hey, you know your not supposed to carry a loaded gun in here-- right?". My reply to him with a smile was "I'm not an employee anymore" and that the rule no longer applied to me. :DHe just kinda mumbled and then he was off to "get back to work". While he was the only one to say anything to me, I noticed several people who were quite familiar with me from my previous employment, that I thought for sure would tell me something similar. It never happened though. I think I will also write a letter to corporate.

b1ack5mith

imported post

yeah lets go kev! tell me when you wanna go and ill go with ya :) i wanna look around for some other prospecting equipment anyways! tomarrow? :D

dh21187

imported post

Rather than pushing a confrontation with the employee while carrying a firearm, why not just shop elsewhere? I know people like to claim they are "manly men" and they'll have to pry their gun from their cold, dead hand, why make it so if the situation escalates? The best revenge is NOT to go back there EVER... When the next owner takes over...go back..

People are under the mistaken belief that just because they can or may carry a firearm it will can and will never be taken away from them......NOT.

dh21187

imported post

Because most people lack the skills to physically retaintheir firearms while amongst the living.......Yes, I'm sure plenty of people here will claim they can, but it simply isn't the truth..

UTOC-45-44

imported post

dh21187 wrote:
Rather than pushing a confrontation with the employee while carrying a firearm, why not just shop elsewhere? I know people like to claim they are "manly men" and they'll have to pry their gun from their cold, dead hand, why make it so if the situation escalates? The best revenge is NOT to go back there EVER... When the next owner takes over...go back..

People are under the mistaken belief that just because they can or may carry a firearm it will can and will never be taken away from them......NOT.

Troll ???:lol:

TJ