• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Magazine Capacity

SQLtables

imported post

I think I've seen this topic here before, but a quick search didn't come up with anything as far as I could see.

Are there any restricions on the number of rounds you can carry in your firearm in Michigan? Federal?

I know (read I THINK) there used to be a limit of 10 rounds. Was that with the assault rifle ban? That has expired correct?

Michigander

imported post

Oh yes it expired. September 2004. You can carry as many rounds as you please. You could do the same during the ban, it just had to be with pre ban mags. You'd be surprised what's out there. Things like a drum mag for a 1911, or maybe
a Beta C drum for an AR pistol, you can carry that type of thing just like you would otherwise.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

At the federal level, there is no longer any limit on ammunition capacity. However, some states likeCalifornia and New Yorkenacted their own ammunition restrictions when the AWB expired.

Michigan has state pre-emption of firearm laws as defined in Sec. 123.1102, so whatever the law is in Michigan for magazine capacity it is the same across the state. I cannot find any law limiting magazine capacity, so I would assume there is no restriction on magazine size, but IANAL and haven't read every word of the MCL.

SQLtables

imported post

Thanks for the amazingly quick replies. I love this place. I was just talking to my friend/co-worker about this and we couldn't decide for sure what the deal was. I told him I carry 10, 12, or 15 rounds depending on which gun/mag combo, and he didn't think I could carry more than 10 still.

Michigander

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
I would assume there is no restriction on magazine size, but IANAL and haven't read every word of the MCL.

I'm no lawyer either, but I have read the entire penal code, at least the firearms laws, and there are no mag capacity regulations, unless you're hunting.;)

SpringerXDacp

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
I think I've seen this topic here before, but a quick search didn't come up with anything as far as I could see.

Are there any restricions on the number of rounds you can carry in your firearm in Michigan? Federal?

I know (read I THINK) there used to be a limit of 10 rounds. Was that with the assault rifle ban? That has expired correct?

Per MSP:

[font="Arial, Helvetica"]5. Is it okay if I have a pistol with a 15 round clip? [/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica"]Yes, as federal law 18USC Sec 922 effective September 30, 1994which prohibited an individual from having a firearm with a clip holding over 10 rounds, was repealed effective September 1, 2004.
[/font]

Clip...I know what it meant, but....LMAO. :lol: