• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC in Oak Harbor

Mightybigjosh

imported post

Well, I finally gave in and did it! Had to wait until the wife wasn't around (too much nagging). Not a bad time either! Had to make a stop at the AutoZone to get some oil. Going in was cake but they sure got friendly when they got sight of my strong side. They didn't mention it but I got the impression they wanted to get me out as soon as they could. On my way out there was a woman sitting in her car with her daughter, both just starring at me as I left.
I figured I would make a quick stop at Subway for lunch while I was out. I go there a lot so they all know me but there were some HS kids there eating lunch that got really quiet when I went to pay right next to them.

No problems at all! Looking forward to doing it again. I think a trip to Walmart might be fun... might have to bring a few more copies of the training bulletins.

sailor628

imported post

OC is fun isn't it? I have often gotten the feeling that people are friendlier to me when I'm carrying. Thanks for sharing your story. It's stories like yours that got me OCing for the first time just a few months ago and I'm sure more people will be encouraged to do the same. And don't worry about the wife, she'll come around :).

Nitrox314

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Sweet! I grew up in Oak Harbor, haven't been back in years... My brother still lives there though.

China Harbor still there?

Its called "The Imperial" now....

Funny, I work in Oak Harbor and I have been out that way a few times. I didn't go out today because I brought my lunch. I wish I could bring my pistol with me, but I work on the base... Fat Chance. After recent incidents, I don't feel safe in Oak Harbor anymore. People bringing guns to clubs and such... Guy shot himself in the stomach...

Mightybigjosh

imported post

I actually work with the girl that got shot in the leg by that same guy at the club, turns out he is her friend and the gun accidentaly fired hitting him in the gut and her in the leg with the same bullet. He still hasn't been to jail for it yet.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mightybigjosh wrote:
I actually work with the girl that got shot in the leg by that same guy at the club, turns out he is her friend and the gun accidentaly fired hitting him in the gut and her in the leg with the same bullet. He still hasn't been to jail for it yet.
That's called a negligent discharge. Guns don't accidentally fire by themselves. Someone had their booger hook on the bang switch.

Nitrox314

imported post

Your a sailor I take it? I think I know what command she was with.

That story was crazy. But so many rumors have flown about it, so I don't know how much is truth. I heard he had several guns in his barracks, and I know that is illegal. They have to be in the armory. I think, also, that the club was a Gun-Free Zone... as many clubs like to put up signs. I also heard that he had a CPL.... So many Rumors without confirmation.

Nitrox314

imported post

Your a sailor I take it? I think I know what command she was with.

That story was crazy. But so many rumors have flown about it, so I don't know how much is truth. I heard he had several guns in his barracks, and I know that is illegal. They have to be in the armory. I think, also, that the club was a Gun-Free Zone... as many clubs like to put up signs. I also heard that he had a CPL.... So many Rumors without confirmation.

Mightybigjosh

imported post

I just got the first hand story today from my co-worker who was shot. The gun was in his car. After they left the place he pulled it out and went to holster it but it got caught on something and discharged hitting him in the gut and my co-worker in the leg (not bad for a .22!). He lives off base so there's no problem with him carrying and he did have a CPL (not sure if he still does or not).
It wasn't a drive-by or a gang shooting, just a careless gun owner.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My dad used to tell a story about a friend of his who broke several rules of gun safety and paid for it with a .22 caliber hole in his stomach. He'd had the rifle loaded while in his truck, and when he stopped and got out he reached back in, grabbed the rifle by the barrel and pulled it towards himself. A broken seat spring found its way into the trigger guard and pulled the trigger, shooting the guy in the gut. He survived and lived for many more years.