• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.22 advice?

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Well my dad is going to purchase a .22 pistol when I get home next week so we can go target shooting together. I would also like to have somthing that I can start OCing with. Anyways what are your recommendations? Currently we are looking at this
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/86/products_id/26551
I haven't heard too much on it though. The P22 seems to be very popular here as I have read a lot of threads with P22's mentioned.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/344/products_id/61019
What do you guys think? What will be better for target shooting? The Beretta is a little big to OC with, but I can wait to OC until I move up to a 9mm I guess. I am just starting out shooting so I am in the dark when it comes to picking guns out. I have gotten some recommendations on 9mm's for later already, but next week is coming up soon and I am still not sure what my best choice will be. Thanks guys!

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

The advantage of OC is that you can carry big guns.

You could get an S&W 617 10 shot .22lr revolver. That way when you get the dud primers which are common in .22lr you can just skip over them by pulling the trigger again.

The Ruger .22 pistols are good semi-automatics as well.

squarepeg

imported post

I have no personal experience with either of those guns, so I will not spread things I heard on the interweb about either. What I will say is that there is a great forum dedicated to 22s, well mostly 22s. rimfirecentral.com. I have learned a lot from there and suggest you read up on that website to learn about any 22 you are looking at. Something to consider is that you want to have a longer barrel if you want to work on target shooting. I have a 6" barrel on my 22 and if I was a better shot, I could drive tacks at 25 yards. It is a lot more difficult to shoot a short barrel gun accurately. I know they offer many size barrels for both of those guns you listed.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I really like the look of the P22, but will it be a good gun to shoot with? I will have to talk to my dad some more about it. We can always get the .22 and use it for a while and add to the collection. I think we can only buy one a month from a FFL though w/o a CCW if I'm not mistaken.

Euromutt

imported post

I've read a review in Gun Tests on the Neos, and read some more anecdotal stories, and for the most part, the endorsements were less than ringing. The manufacturing quality is perfectly okay, but the grip angle was awkward, as were the safety levers. The blued version wasn't very accurate, and while the stainless (Inox) version was better, it had a creepy, and rather heavy trigger. Gun Tests gave it a C-.

I've heard more stories from people who are very happy with their Walther P22s. One great advantage the Walther has is that it's fairly rare among .22s in having a DA/SA action (most .22 target pistols are SAOs), which makes it useful as a training weapon if you're considering a DA/SA centerfire as a defensive weapon, or a P99, which it closely resembles. I have been told it's quite small (I've seen them at the gun store, but never handled one, so I can't confirm that).

So if you're set on one of those two, I'd say go with the Walther.

However, Felid' Maximus mentioned Rugers, and that's the direction I went, with a 22/45 Mk.III (this one, to be exact), and I'm very happy with it. I've had it two months, and firing el cheapo Federal American Eagle 40-gr round noses, it has yet to malfunction. It's also more accurate than I am. The 22/45 specifically is designed to mimic certain features of the 1911 (grip angle, posititioning of controls), so it makes a good training gun for (prospective) 1911 owners. One caveat with any Ruger .22 is that they're tricky to get the hang of disassembling and reassembling, particularly the mainspring assembly, and that's a major turnoff for some people. So a Ruger may not be your cup of tea.

expvideo

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I really like the look of the P22, but will it be a good gun to shoot with? I will have to talk to my dad some more about it. We can always get the .22 and use it for a while and add to the collection. I think we can only buy one a month from a FFL though w/o a CCW if I'm not mistaken.

I've only heard good things. The benefit of the P22 is that it is a popular gun, and as such there are a lot more holster options. Also, the Sig Mosquito is a cool looking 22, but I don't know how good of reviews it's getting.

I'll be the second to recommend a revolver though.

Some nice 22 revolvers in roughly the same price range are:

Taurus M94 4"
Taurus 941 2" (I want one!)
Ruger Single Six :D

But hey, to each his own. The P22 is an excellant choice. Plus you can save up some extra money and eventually buy a suppressor for it :cool:

Goliath

imported post

I bought the Ruger .22/45 also. It is a great pistol. I shoot the cheapo federal hollowpoints that I buy in bulk from Walmart in it and never a misfire or jam. I have no experience with the other guns you are considering at all, but I would recommend the Ruger.

Goliath

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

My g/f recently purchased a Walther P22. We thought we were having feeding problems at first, but it turns out I was thumbing the slide lock, which was causing the issue. Since then we haven't had any problems. The gun IS smaller in size compared to "full-sized" handguns, but it is not uncomfortable to shoot. As far as I'm concerned, the P22 was designed to be a "tactical" .22 handgun. It lends itself very well to being carried as a defensive weapon, regardless of the caliber.

I think the P22 makes a very good multi-purpose .22 pistol. If you're only looking for a range shooter, the Ruger's are awesome as well, and probably a bit more accurate. You would be happy with either one of them, I'm sure.

expvideo

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
expvideo wrote
But hey, to each his own. The P22 is an excellant choice. Plus you can save up some extra money and eventually buy a suppressor for it :cool:
Is that legal to do in VA? I thought you needed some type of permit for suppressors?

I don't know VA law, but I do know that no matter what state you live in, you have to pay a $200 tax to the ATF per silencer, and it requires additional paperwork and a longerwait for a federal background check.

DreQo wrote:
My g/f recently purchased a Walther P22. We thought we were having feeding problems at first, but it turns out I was thumbing the slide lock, which was causing the issue. Since then we haven't had any problems. The gun IS smaller in size compared to "full-sized" handguns, but it is not uncomfortable to shoot. As far as I'm concerned, the P22 was designed to be a "tactical" .22 handgun. It lends itself very well to being carried as a defensive weapon, regardless of the caliber.

I think the P22 makes a very good multi-purpose .22 pistol. If you're only looking for a range shooter, the Ruger's are awesome as well, and probably a bit more accurate. You would be happy with either one of them, I'm sure.
You really love those Walthers, don't you :p

I'm tempted to get one to teach my little brother how to shoot, and to try out silenced weapons. :cool:

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

expvideo wrote:

I'm tempted to get one to teach my little brother how to shoot, and to try out silenced weapons. :cool:

Oh I dunno. I got my PPK/s only because it was James Bond's gun and I knew nothing about guns at the time. The SW99 is half Walther, and I bought that for the ergo's and action. I don't know for sure why my g/f bought the P22. Honestly I think it's because it's the coolest looking .22 pistol out there right now. If you wanna get technical, I really only own one Walther :p.

As far as suppressors go, I'm almost positive owning one isn't a problem in VA, as long as you pay the ridiculous $200 tax :?. In fact, I'm pretty sureit's not a problem in most states. Is there a reason the P22 is considered easier to suppress? I'm assuming it's the availability of threaded barrels for it, but I might be wrong.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

No way I am going to pay $200 and fill out forms for a supressor. I might as well chip in the extra $100 and get another p22:lol: That way my dad and both have one. Stupid one gun a month laws though:cuss:I am not 21 for another year and 6 months, so I don't have a ccw or at least we could buy seperately, but no. Oh well we'll get one then hopefully expand on our collection if my mom ok's it:banghead:

DrewGunner

imported post

I love my P22. I've got around 2000- 2500 rounds through it. She's a little picky on ammo. Never had a single failure for CCI ammo tho. If you plan on carrying it for self defense I'd recommend CCI "stingers", 36gr HP 1640fps, shot placement is key.

I've got a fobus holster for mine, it works great.

It'd be a blast with a suppressor.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
I love my P22. I've got around 2000- 2500 rounds through it. She's a little picky on ammo. Never had a single failure for CCI ammo tho. If you plan on carrying it for self defense I'd recommend CCI "stingers", 36gr HP 1640fps, shot placement is key.

I've got a fobus holster for mine, it works great.

It'd be a blast with a suppressor.
I heard the fobus holster for it grabs it too tight and you can barely get it out of the holster. Do you have problems getting yours out?

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
No way I am going to pay $200 and fill out forms for a supressor. I might as well chip in the extra $100 and get another p22:lol: That way my dad and both have one. Stupid one gun a month laws though:cuss:I am not 21 for another year and 6 months, so I don't have a ccw or at least we could buy seperately, but no. Oh well we'll get one then hopefully expand on our collection if my mom ok's it:banghead:
i smell straw purchase....

CRF250rider1000

imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
i smell straw purchase....
No, my dad is purchasing a firearm for both of us to shoot at the range. There is nothing wrong with that. I was simply pointing out that if he had two, we would not have to share them at the range. We could shoot in booths right next to each other and not have to trade off. it doesn't really matter anyway it's a miracle that my mom will let him get ONE gun!
Anyways if my dad was to shoot the .22 for a while and then buy something else and give the old one to me, that is a gift, which is perfectly legal right? If not then I am mistaken and will wait till I'm 21 to purchase my own. Either that or seek out a used .22 that someone is getting rid of.

ATCer

imported post

Hey, check out the SigSaur Mosquito too. It's just a tad bit smaller than their full size 9mm (couldn't tell you what model... I'm a Glock guy!). I had a buddy of mine pick one up about a month ago and he loves the crap out ofit. It's really comfortable too. If you have bigger hands, this might be more comfortable than the P22. I'm not dissing the P22, I think it's a great gun (as long as you use the right ammo) as I have one myself. But hinsight being 20/20, I probably would've bought the Sig had I known about it.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/50931

Hope this helps

expvideo

imported post

DreQo wrote:
expvideo wrote:

Oh I dunno. I got my PPK/s only because it was James Bond's gun and I knew nothing about guns at the time. The SW99 is half Walther, and I bought that for the ergo's and action. I don't know for sure why my g/f bought the P22. Honestly I think it's because it's the coolest looking .22 pistol out there right now. If you wanna get technical, I really only own one Walther :p.

As far as suppressors go, I'm almost positive owning one isn't a problem in VA, as long as you pay the ridiculous $200 tax :?. In fact, I'm pretty sureit's not a problem in most states. Is there a reason the P22 is considered easier to suppress? I'm assuming it's the availability of threaded barrels for it, but I might be wrong.
That's exactly why it's easier to suppress. It's pretty much marketted as a suppressed gun. Every shop I go to seems to have a suppressed version, and a threaded barrel adapter sitting right next to the standard version :D