• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.22 advice?

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
KodiakISGOOD wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
No way I am going to pay $200 and fill out forms for a supressor. I might as well chip in the extra $100 and get another p22:lol: That way my dad and both have one. Stupid one gun a month laws though:cuss:I am not 21 for another year and 6 months, so I don't have a ccw or at least we could buy seperately, but no. Oh well we'll get one then hopefully expand on our collection if my mom ok's it:banghead:
i smell straw purchase....
No, my dad is purchasing a firearm for both of us to shoot at the range. There is nothing wrong with that. I was simply pointing out that if he had two, we would not have to share them at the range. We could shoot in booths right next to each other and not have to trade off. it doesn't really matter anyway it's a miracle that my mom will let him get ONE gun!
Anyways if my dad was to shoot the .22 for a while and then buy something else and give the old one to me, that is a gift, which is perfectly legal right? If not then I am mistaken and will wait till I'm 21 to purchase my own. Either that or seek out a used .22 that someone is getting rid of.
well now that you clarify it seems on the up and up, but in my defense, in your previous post, you did state that " might as well chip in the extra $100 and get another p22:lol:" which is why I stated that i smelled a straw puchase. Your mother sounds like my mother a short time ago.

happy carrying,

jason

DrewGunner

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
DrewGunner wrote:
I love my P22. I've got around 2000- 2500 rounds through it. She's a little picky on ammo. Never had a single failure for CCI ammo tho. If you plan on carrying it for self defense I'd recommend CCI "stingers", 36gr HP 1640fps, shot placement is key.

I've got a fobus holster for mine, it works great.

It'd be a blast with a suppressor.
I heard the fobus holster for it grabs it too tight and you can barely get it out of the holster. Do you have problems getting yours out?
The fobus is very tight, but its not a problem drawing. It can be a little hard to pull it out of the holster when its not on your hip.

ATCer

imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
The fobus is very tight, but its not a problem drawing. It can be a little hard to pull it out of the holster when its not on your hip.
I second that! I have seen leather holsters for the P22 online for about $50 or so. Can't recall where, but I'm sure you could do a google search and it would come up with something.

eyesopened

imported post

I've fired a few mags through the P22 and I didn't really care for it. The trigger didn't feel right, but it was my friend's gun and he seemed to like it. The Magazine release was wierd too, it's a european design and I guess I'm more familiar with the US style.

I picked up a used MKII 22/45 and it's a great pistol. Ruger can really make nice .22s.

I hope you do not have plans to OC a P22 with a threaded barrel in VA without a CHP either. That's a no-no. Also if your Dad gets a CHP, he can buy as many pistols as your Mom let's him :lol:

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Yea sorry for the wording on that. I just was pointing out that by the time I paid the $200 for a supressor, I could just as well afford another one with an extra $100. This would not actually happen, just pointing out that supressors are expensive. Sorry for the confusion. Oh and isn't the threaded barrel an option? I saw the law on the threaded barrels and got a little scared, but then someone mentioned that they had an adaptor barrel for the supressor or somthing correct? If not, can I order the CA model which doesn't have a threaded barrel anyways right?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Yea sorry for the wording on that. I just was pointing out that by the time I paid the $200 for a supressor, I could just as well afford another one with an extra $100. This would not actually happen, just pointing out that supressors are expensive. Sorry for the confusion.

Suppressors aren't expensive, the ridiculous, arguably unconstitutional tax on them is. :? Oddly enough, with all of the firearms restrictions in the UK, suppressors are one of the few things that are LESS restricted there. They actually encourage the use of a suppressor when firing a gun for lawful purposes in order to reduce "sound pollution". What a novel idea that is!
Also if your Dad gets a CHP, he can buy as many pistols as your Mom let's him :lol:
The worst kind of gun control: your wife. :D

CRF250rider1000

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Yea my mom hates guns, but I am going to educate her on proper gun safety and show her how to use the firearm/disassemble it. She will become comfortable with it in time. I think she just doesn't know about them and has the general idea that guns kill:banghead: Guns do not kill, they are a tool just as a wrench is a tool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6bbXgUNOws

expvideo

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
DreQo wrote:
Yea my mom hates guns, but I am going to educate her on proper gun safety and show her how to use the firearm/disassemble it. She will become comfortable with it in time. I think she just doesn't know about them and has the general idea that guns kill:banghead: Guns do not kill, they are a tool just as a wrench is a tool.

See if you can get her out shooting. Make it fun with reactive targets, such as unopened, shaken pop cans, or bottles. Something that does something rewarding to watch when hit, rather than a piece of paper that just makes a hole. I find that new shooters enjoy that a lot more than just punching holes in paper at the range.

Seriously, cheapcans of soda (shaken) are one of the best reactive targets for the money, and new shooters love the reward of hitting one. If your mom doesn't like shooting after going through a case of store-brand soda, she'll never like it :D

ETA: that is my favorite example of "guns kill people" ever! I love that clip. I always had Seth McFarlan pegged for an anti because of the negative portrayal of guns and gun owners on family guy. Then again, it's hard to tell if he's seriously anti-gun or being satirical. I'm guessing that he's being satirical, but only because of this clip.

I can't stand Brian the dog, BTW. Leftist d-bag if you ask me.

DrewGunner

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
DreQo wrote:
"...And the paprika not enough." HAHAHAHA!!!

sccrref

imported post

I will give a +1 more on the Walther P22. I bought one for my daughter not quite 2 months ago and we already have close to a 1000 rounds through it. It has had a few times when the round fails to extract but as we get more rounds through it this is becoming a non existant problem. The walther is pretty easy to clean. I also have a Ruger 22/45 MK III. It shoots extremely well with no problems at all. It is a little bit of a pain in the ass to strip and put back together, but that is mostly due to it is not the only gun I shoot. It is a little bit different to strip down than my glocks and baretta. However, it is a joy to shoot and that more than makes up for the slight PITA to clean. Bottom line, go to a range, shoot the guns you are interested in and get what feels best for you.

ETA: I would also have to agree with the comment about the mag release. The first time I picked the gun up it took me almost 5 minutes to find the damn thing. It is on the trigger guard of all places.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
No way I am going to pay $200 and fill out forms for a supressor. I might as well chip in the extra $100 and get another p22:lol: That way my dad and both have one. Stupid one gun a month laws though:cuss:I am not 21 for another year and 6 months, so I don't have a ccw or at least we could buy seperately, but no. Oh well we'll get one then hopefully expand on our collection if my mom ok's it:banghead:
A 'straw purchase" is when someone buys a gun for someone who cannot legally own one.....there is nothing illegal about a dad "gifting" a gun to his son.....

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Yea I can legally own one since all I am 19 and all I have to my name is a speeding ticket. It was my fault. One day after school I was messing around with a friend in my car and got a 74 in a 55. I paid it, took the class to get the points off, and bought a truck. Now I am the "slowpoke" of my friends. They all joke about how I can't drive when we take trips because we will take so long to get there:lol: I learned my lesson to say the least. I was speeding for sure, I can't deny that, but what made me a little mad was that the girl that I was messing with passed me AND the LEO who walked out onto rt. 28 doing over 80mph. She even bragged about not getting the ticket the next day at school. I was so mad!:cuss: But everything happens for a reason and now I drive slow. I did get VERY scared over spring break. I was going into Leesburg doing 57 in a 55, which we all know I am SLOW:lol: So anyways I am driving my big lifted bright red F150 and I look to my right and see a 45mph sign and look left and there is a state trooper. Well my heart just about sank!!!! I was the only car on the road at the time too! For all of my good driving and now I make a small unintentional mistake:cry: Luckily he did not budge, but I ALWAYS am very aware for speed limit signs when I am driving now.

On anoher note I was in an accident caused by a LEO on a motorcycle who had no care for motorist's safety, but that is another story. He saw the accident happen and just fled the scene!!!!! I didn't get a chance to get his plate number because I had just been hit by another car. He didn't even check to see if we were ok for God sakes!:cuss:

Just realized how much I wrote sorry guys

Michigander

imported post

What I would do is get a 1911, and a .22 conversion kit. That way you have the proven stopping power and reliability of the worlds most successful pistol, combined with cheap practice for the same gun.

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
KodiakISGOOD wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
A 'straw purchase" is when someone buys a gun for someone who cannot legally own one.....there is nothing illegal about a dad "gifting" a gun to his son.....
yes i am fully aware of what a straw purchase is, however he cannot legally buy a handgun from a FFL. However when he mentioned chipping in extra money and not paying 200$ (and filling out forms) for a suppressor, the concept of the said gun being a 'gift' is no longer valid in my opinion..... whatever i dont want to argue, but i don't want the original poster nor his father to get into any trouble. just looking out

happy carrying,

jason

on another note:

va code: 18.2-308.2:2 states:
M. Any person who purchases a firearm with the intent to (i) resell or otherwise provide such firearm to any person who he knows or has reason to believe is ineligible to purchase or otherwise receive from a dealer a firearm for whatever reason or (ii) transport such firearm out of the Commonwealth to be resold or otherwise provided to another person who the transferor knows is ineligible to purchase or otherwise receive a firearm, shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony. However, if the violation of this subsection involves such a transfer of more than one firearm, the person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of five years.

proving intent is often the most difficult thing.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
Comp-tech wrote:
KodiakISGOOD wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
yes i am fully aware of what a straw purchase is, however he cannot legally buy a handgun from a FFL. However when he mentioned chipping in extra money and not paying 200$ (and filling out forms) for a suppressor, the concept of the said gun being a 'gift' is no longer valid in my opinion..... whatever i dont want to argue, but i don't want the original poster nor his father to get into any trouble. just looking out

happy carrying,

jason

on another note:

va code: 18.2-308.2:2 states:
M. Any person who purchases a firearm with the intent to (i) resell or otherwise provide such firearm to any person who he knows or has reason to believe is ineligible to purchase or otherwise receive from a dealer a firearm for whatever reason or (ii) transport such firearm out of the Commonwealth to be resold or otherwise provided to another person who the transferor knows is ineligible to purchase or otherwise receive a firearm, shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony. However, if the violation of this subsection involves such a transfer of more than one firearm, the person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of five years.

proving intent is often the most difficult thing.
Yea I'm not trying to get into trouble by any means. I would like to stick to the law, whatever that might be. What is going to happen in reality is that my dad is going to buy a p22 or something like that and him and I are going to share it at the range. Then when I want to step up I will look for a private sale from someone in northern VA or wait till I'm 21 to purchase my own.

imperialism2024

imported post

While I can see the value in .22's as far as the inexpensive ammo and such...

Have you considered getting something chambered in 9mm, .45ACP, or some other common self-defense pistol caliber, and getting a .22 conversion kit? Then you could use it for plinking and such, but then you could drop in a better self-defense round for OC purposes.