• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

your gun in a movie

Leader

imported post

Pointman wrote:

From what I read, my having an out-of-stateconcealed-carry permit allows me to carry concealed, but I've heard that's not the case, because MI requires me to have the permit from my home state, and WI doesn't have permits. One more twist: Having a MN "carry" permit, which is OC and CC, can I as a WI resident CC in Michigan? Can I OC in MI?

I drive to MI every few months, so I'm wondering what's legal.
You are right that MI *REQUIRES* a permit issued by "Your Home State" in order to legally carry in MI. Your MN. permit means nothing to the police officers in MI. You may NOT even openly carry in MI because your gun isn't properly registered. (Safety Inspected)Sorry.

Leader

imported post

Pointman wrote:

From what I read, my having an out-of-stateconcealed-carry permit allows me to carry concealed, but I've heard that's not the case, because MI requires me to have the permit from my home state, and WI doesn't have permits. One more twist: Having a MN "carry" permit, which is OC and CC, can I as a WI resident CC in Michigan? Can I OC in MI?

I drive to MI every few months, so I'm wondering what's legal.
You are right that MI *REQUIRES* a permit issued by "Your Home State" in order to legally carry in MI. Your MN. permit means nothing to the police officers in MI. You may NOT even openly carry in MI because your gun isn't properly registered. (Safety Inspected)Sorry.

ScottyT

imported post

Pointman wrote:
(a) Acts prohibited
It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture, enter into commerce, ship, transport, or receive any toy, look-alike, or imitation firearm unless such firearm contains, or has affixed to it, a marking approved by the Secretary of Commerce...
Thats what I thought. Federal Law does not require an orange tip on imitation firearms that you own and use, just on the ones that are being sold, shipped, etc...

Good news for airsoft enthusiasts like me!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Pointman wrote:
I did read the safety inspection in the MI Code, and thought, "You have to be kidding! They want to recordthe serial number of every weapon you intend to carry!!"

Thanks for the information. I guess I'll have to wait for reciprocity.

In Michigan it has recently (last few years) been determined via an Attorney General opinion that you MUST have a CPL from your home state to be recognized by Michigan. There was some ambiguity in the wording of the law and some residents of Michigan tried to carry with out-of-state CPL's, before the law changed to shall issue. It was decided they could NOT. Recent enforcement is that only out-of-state resident CPL's are allowed.

As for the safety inspection, this is Michigan's way of registering handguns without saying "registration". So for every handgun you own in Michigan you get a registration card. These handguns or serial #'sare NOT printed on your CPL and you are allowed to carry any handgun that is legally owned in Michigan either your own or someones else's.

This safety requirement is also the reason non-residents can't posses a handgun in Michigan unless they have a home CPL.

In your case you would not be allowed to use/posses a handgun in Michigan if you were to stay for any length of time. You are allowed to pass trough Michigan if it's locked, unloaded, etc. So until WI get's a CPL you are out of luck.

ScottyT

imported post

Pointman wrote:
Sure...just don't transport it. You're fine if you keep it on your property, buttransport it off your property, and you're breaking the law.

I think that is a gray area, since the title of the law is "Penalties for entering into commerce of imitation firearms." It would hold that the transportation would apply only to commerce (like a company transporting it to another store), and transporting for private use is not commerce, is it?

I am not worried or anything, we have several current and former LEOs and military on our local airsoft teams...