• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

your gun in a movie

merpho

imported post

A movie shooting in Saginaw, "Street Boss", needs to borrow a few guns for a few days. They want about a dozen Glocks or Berettas or S&W semi-autos, one revolver, 2 Uzis, and three tactical shotguns. I am already loaning them one of mine. You will get a certificate certifying that your gun was in a movie. Call me at 989-860-3977, Rod Merten.

67390FE

imported post

I would not loan any gun of mine to anybody I didn't know well (and they would have to have a CPL). The way I understand MI law, if they do not have a valid CPL,you cannot leagally loan them handguns. Lawyers?..

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Heh, heh, heh.

Does this mean some of those liberals who so vehemently oppose 2nd Amendment rights are now running into their own regulation?

Michigander

imported post

If you are serious, I would contact someone like Guns Galore in Fenton to rent some. I doubt you'll find many, if any private individuals will want to loan their guns out, even if laws are followed to the letter.

merpho

imported post

I am being entirely serious. Making a movie is not a joke. It is bringing jobs to Michigan. I thought this was ine way we could help an independent film maker who is putting up his own money.

ScottyT

imported post

dougwg wrote:
Here's a solution for you,

Go buy some airsoft guns thenblack out the orange tips during the editing.

"Making a movie is not a joke."

Neither are the laws of Michigan that will make you a felon.
I second that idea. You can buy airsoft guns that are exact copies of the real deal, complete with trademarks and other markings (my Sig 552 [airsoft] even says "for law enforcement/export only" down the side of it). The brand you are looking for is Tokyo Marui.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ScottyT wrote:
dougwg wrote:
Here's a solution for you,

Go buy some airsoft guns thenblack out the orange tips during the editing.

"Making a movie is not a joke."

Neither are the laws of Michigan that will make you a felon.
I second that idea. You can buy airsoft guns that are exact copies of the real deal, complete with trademarks and other markings (my Sig 552 [airsoft] even says "for law enforcement/export only" down the side of it). The brand you are looking for is Tokyo Marui.
Tokyo Marui is the original and arguably the best maker of airsoft guns, but there are many other manufacturers out there that make realistic replica firearms. They even have gas blowback models that force the slide to cycle when the trigger is pulled. There are electric models that do the same thing. There is no need to use real firearms when making a movie because these replicas are so realistic.

XmolotovX

imported post

You can also hire an armorer, there is one in lansing. But they'll only work with you if you're insured, which you should also consider, thatrical insurance is relatively cheap and is actually probably a good idea even if you go the airsoft route, When we organize airsoft games, we use theatrical insurance.

Michigander

imported post

One more thing I want to add, is that in Michigan, pointing a real gun at someone, even wihtout malice, is a felony. That is, unless you're defending your life. Probably not a good idea to do it on camera. Dummy guns, or blanks in a situation where you can only see the shooter would be best.

Being as we have way too few movies made in this state, please keep us updated about the film.

Pointman

imported post

"Sorry your $1,200 Kimber skidded across the asphalt. On the up side, here's your certificate stating it was used in a movie."

Nothing like observing proper firearm safety practices.

----
"MI is just an upside-down WI."

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Pointman wrote:
"Sorry your $1,200 Kimber skidded across the asphalt. On the up side, here's your certificate stating it was used in a movie."

Nothing like observing proper firearm safety practices.

By the way, great advice on blacking out the safety tips and violating federal law.

----
"MI is just an upside-down WI."

Re-read my post.

I suggested "blacking out" the tip during EDITING not during the accual shooting of the scene.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Pointman wrote:
You did say during editing; I wonder if the movie guys caught it. I read the posts and then checked MI Statues--my God you need time to understand them! I should have then re-read the posts, since my mind was still spinning from the statues.

From what I read, my having an out-of-stateconcealed-carry permit allows me to carry concealed, but I've heard that's not the case, because MI requires me to have the permit from my home state, and WI doesn't have permits. One more twist: Having a MN "carry" permit, which is OC and CC, can I as a WI resident CC in Michigan? Can I OC in MI?

I drive to MI every few months, so I'm wondering what's legal.
Apology accepted ;)

ScottyT

imported post

Pointman wrote:
By the way, great advice on blacking out the safety tips and violating federal law.
Could you please point out that law? I would be very curious to see it. My understanding is that it is illegal to sell or ship it without the orange tip... but I have been wrong before and would happily change my ways if I can fond that law.