• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eric Thompson to speak at VT

Pointman

imported post

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SOU_VIRGINIA_TECH_WEAPONS_VAOL-?SITE=VANOV&SECTION=STATE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Seller of gun used in Va. Tech shootings due on campus
Apr 24, 11:46 AM EDT

BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) -- A planned visit by an online weapons dealer who sold one of two guns used in the Virginia Tech mass shootings stirred controversy on campus Thursday. Eric Thompson was to speak at the school Thursday night as part of a weeklong demonstration in favor of concealed weapons on college campuses.

Ken Stanton, president of the university's chapter of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, said the visit had not prompted objections until a school spokesman denounced it. He had received a number of complaints after Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker issued a statement saying he found it "terribly offensive" that Thompson would set foot on campus. "The organizers appear to be incredibly insensitive to the families of the victims who lost loved ones and to the injured students still recovering from this horrendous tragedy," Hincker said.

Virginia Tech last week marked the first anniversary of the shootings in a dormitory and classroom building in which 33 died, including shooter Seung-Hui Cho.

Stanton said Thompson's connection to the shootings was random. Cho bought a Walther .22-caliber handgun through Thompson's Internet gun store based in Green Bay, Wis. The store also sold handgun accessories to the man who killed five Northern Illinois University students in February.

Stanton said he had never considered carrying a gun until the shootings at Virginia Tech, in which his friend Jeremy Herbstritt died. "I'm just someone who's seen firsthand the importance of self-protection," said Stanton, a graduate student.

Members of the student group, which claims a nationwide membership of 25,000 and 200 at Virginia Tech, are wearing empty holsters to classes this week to protest laws and policies that restrict concealed weapons on campuses.
--------------
Comment: Larry Hincker might want to bury his head where the sun doesn't shine, but it won't help anyone. Eric Thompson affords the opportunity for people to defend themselves against those who commit murder, rape, and other acts of violence. Instead of hand-wringers whining tiresome moronic questions of "why can't we all get along" and "could we have offered more counseling to prevent this" the question we all should be asking is, "Why don't we allow students to defend themselves?"

mpg9999

imported post

I just got back from the speach and dinner with Eric and the other SCCC at VT officers. I thought the speach went very well. There werent a ton of people, I'd sayaround 50 including media and police. There was one girl with a shirt that said "Guns Kill" and "Protest Easy Guns" on the back. We actually had a very nice and long conversation with her and another women who was against handguns after the speach. I don't think we changed their minds about it, but it was a very respectful conversation and I hope we at least got them thinking. I have a video of the entire speach and most of the Q and A. It's about an hour long. I'll have to figure out some way to host it if anyone is interested.

Flintlock

imported post

It's mind boggling to me that the university officials hold that gentleman responsible for "providing" the weapons used during the shooting. It's against school policy to keep weapons off campus. Why didn't that work? Ummm, because criminals don't follow rules or laws, maybe...?

What does it matter how he got them?Cho didn't get his Glock from that guy..

Anybody that is hell-bent on destruction will not be stopped unless they are met with equalizing firepower. The students are currently potential unarmed victims and nothing that has been done since that horrible daywould ever stop something like that from happening again.

nova

imported post

Why don't we go after the car dealerships who sell cars later used in DUI hit and runs? It is no different. Putting the blame on the dealer like he contributed to the shooting. What a bunch of idiots. I guess since they can't blame Cho (you know the wackjob who actually commits the crime is never at fault in their minds) they have to place the blame on someone (or something) else.

vt357

imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
My response to the editorials board's disgusting commentary. I wonder if they will print it on Tuesday (I won't count on it). Last years editorial board used to print my letters somewhat frequently - this one, not so much.

The Collegiate Times Editorial board shows itself to be a group of hypocrites. I applauded when they took a stand against allowing Protest Easy Guns to hold a demonstration on April 16. Even though they agree with PEG’s position, they rightfully believed that that day should be for remembrance and not for pushing a political agenda.

Quoting some of their April 9 editorial: “Everyone has a right to their opinion, and there are strong opinions on all sides of the gun control issue… It is admirable that the group is working toward changes it believes in, but the anniversary of the shootings is not the time to do it. Hopefully, Protest Easy Guns will rethink their decision to lie-in on the drillfield and save their demonstration for a different day.”

But now they rail against Eric Thompson who was invited to speak on Friday about allowing students to carry concealed firearms. He also spoke of strengthening the mental health laws that should never have allowed Cho to pass a background check. But according to them “There is little place for him on campus. Last night, all he did was perpetuate the situation and rile up the student masses that have taken sides on this increasingly controversial issue.”

Apparently they think he has a right to his opinion, but he doesn’t have a right to share it at VT. I guess it isn’t “admirable for him to work for a change he believes in” because they don’t happen to agree with that change.

vt357
Class of 06
Alumnus

nova

imported post

Pointman wrote:
CNN is moderating all comments before posting them.

They sure are allowing a lot of comments that are against freedom through there.

Also, I read this in the article:

"Additionally, the organizers appear to be incredibly insensitive to the families of the victims who lost loved ones and to the injured students still recovering from this horrendous tragedy."

In my opinion, having 32 people dressed in black, reenacting the victims' deaths, is a hell of a lot more insensitive to the familys of the victims.