• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CA_Libertarian planning to visit

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I'll likely be visiting OR for a family reunion in July. I always travel armed, so I'll be arriving with a gun on my hip. I've been browsing the threads here for a couple days, and here are the bits and pieces I have gathered that don't make sense to me:

Localities can ban loaded carry. Is there a list of these ordinances available somewhere? Am I really expected to somehow research every locality I will be passing through and then stop and unload? (This seems like a severe lack of due process; something even CA has had the foresight to preempt.)

I remember reading somewhere that carrying while in your car you have to have your firearm where it is clearly visible from outside the vehicle. (I can't find the thread now, but I'm pretty sure I read it in the OR section.)

I would also appreciate it if you can direct me to other threads where common questions have been covered. I looked around a bit, but didn't find much. I'm hoping that is simply due to the lack of government meddling in gun rights in OR.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

pdxwarrior

imported post

Localities can ban loaded carry. However, only a few areas have chosen to do so. For the most part it's areas surrounding Portland.

[font="Arial, sans-serif"]City of Dallas - 5.100 Unlawful Possession of Weapons.[/font][font="Arial, sans-serif"]
City of Beaverton
– 5.08.240 Unlawful Carrying of a Loaded Firearm.
[/font]
[font="Arial, sans-serif"]
City of Oregon City
- 9.24.020 Carrying or discharge of weapons.
[/font]
City of Bend
– Parks 5.320 Violations.
[/font]
City of Independence
- § 9.24.1 POSSESSION OF FIREARMS.
[/font]
City of Salem
– 95.095 LOADED FIRARMS.
[/font]
City of Tigard
- 7.32.125 Carrying Loaded Firearms.
[/font]
City of Portland
- 14A.60.010 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place.
[/font]

There may be others, but those are the places I know of. It does make it frustrating for non-licensed open carry. Although it won't help you, licensed carry does exempt the person from these local restrictions.

As for travelling in your car, the law is written very broad. If it's in your vehicle it is supposed to be visible. In theory, a handgun in a OWB holster while in your vehicle should be considered unconcealed. Although an officer might argue this with you, depending on where you are and how easily he can see the firearm. Of course if you pulled your shirt over the holster, it could be considered concealed. If concealed, it would need to be unloaded. This usually means, no magazine and no ammo in any magazines.

Additionally, there are still other discussions that debate if the above locality regulations apply to the inside of your vehicle.

You would best be protected from the law if you were to travel with the handgun out of reach and not accessible. Say, in your trunk. Of course this presents a problem if you ran into trouble on the side of the road.

On the other hand, if you choose to have it in reach I would make every effort to make sure the firearm is visible.

You might also check this thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum45/9028.html

Another thing to consider would be this book:

http://oregonfirearms.org/store/uorlbk.html

I'm sure others will have some good information for you as well. Also, knowing the area you will be travelling to would be helpful as well. As mentioned, above you'll find more regulations in the Portland Metro area and less in the southern and eastern parts of the state.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Thanks for the info. I don't travel without protection within easy arms reach. I'll find a way to secure the firearm in a highly visible place or just take my chances with the concealed weapons laws.

I don't have the info on the location for the gathering yet. I assume it's in a rural area - one of my grandfather's brothers has a large ranch where we're gathering. Once I get the details I'll map my travel route and determine if loaded carry would be an issue.

Thanks again for the info.