• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

very large hands...purchasing a gun. help!

oj73

imported post

Hi. i've been in the market for a handgun for the last few weeks now. first off, i'm left handed and i have very large hands, so i've been having some problems finding one that fit properly. i recently went to a gun shop and fired an XD 40 sub compact and a used SA 1911. unfortunately the shop owner only had the 10 round clip for the sub compact XD, and i loved the way it fired. the only issue was that the end of the grip stopped short about an inch and a half on my palm. it was unconfortable to the point of feeling unsafe. the 1911 had a nicer grip, but it just didn't feel right in my hand and the clip release was on the left side, not to mention that it was harder to maintain a proper site picture after repeat firings than the XD. I also fired the 45 acp with the 5" barrel, but it was far too big. i work in an area where i need something a little more "agile" if i would need it for any reason. anyone know of any compact pistols (other than glock, too expensive) with ambidextrous safety/clip release buttons that i should take a look at? any help would be great. i'm trying not to spend more than 500, but i can definately stretch if anyone has a gun that i should definately take a look at.

Marco

imported post

My advice, get a revolver.
The grip can always be changed to accomadate you.

Save a few bucks, head to a local range that rents guns and try as many as you can afford.

Happy shopping.

ScottyT

imported post

I also had the "big hands" problem when shopping for my carry gun. I settled on the XD 45 Compact, but carry it with the full size mag/grip extension, so it is the same size as the "service" model. With the grip extension and a double stacked .45 mag, it provides lots of surface area for those big, meaty paws. I have been thinking of picking up a pearce grip extension and giving that a try on the 10-round mag. My wife and I went shopping for a KelTec P3AT for her to carry and I can't even hold that gun properly, let alone shoot it!

Loneviking

imported post

Try a CZ 75, which is a double stack 9mm, and the controls on some models are ambidextrous. The SA/DA model safety, magazine release and slide release are all ambidextrous. I'm left handed as well and I know the problem of finding a left handed gun. I picked the CZ 82, in 9mm Makarov, which is also an ambidextrous gun.

oj73

imported post

thanks for all the suggestions. i'll definately give those a look.

ATCer

imported post

Check out the Glock 45 ACPs (G21/G30). They have a pretty big grip on them. I was I-I this close to buying the G30, but it was just a tad too big for my hands. About being left handed, the Glock's only feature that will be an issue is the mag release button. If that's not an issue, check them out!

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Get a 1911 in commander size with hogue wraaround grips. That'll get you into the best firearms you could bet your life on, as long as it is from a decent manufacturer. You can get one with an ambi safety from any company.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I also have an XD.45 compact service (4" barrel). I carry with the 13 rd full size mag when possible, but with the 10rd when I need more concealment. I have shot the both the 9 and .40 sub-compact, the 9mm service, and the .45 compact and tactical with pierce extensions. It sounds like your hands are just slightly larger than mine.

The sub-compacts were already so short that the ext just dug in my palm and made it more uncomfortable. The full size mag/grip 9/.40 with the extension was about perfect. The extension on the .45 10 rd mag was comfy but eliminated part of the concealing advantage so I decided not to use them.

So, I would recommend you try the XD.45 service/compact. Other recommendations I have that fit my hand well are above a Glock's price so out of the range you are looking to spend.

oj73

imported post

well, i drove back to the gun shop and the owner finally had a 13 round clip for the 45 compact, and it was great. like other people were mentioning, you can feel the grip extension, but that's a compromise i'm willing to live with. thanks for all the help, and i think i'm just going to spring for the XD 45 sub with the extensions. i just love the way that gun feels. the trigger is kind of funky, but from what i hear, there are DIY adjustments you can do to get what you want out of it, so i think i found my first handgun! thanks everyone who posted for your help..

i'd also like to say that it's refreshing to enter a forum with a question (not just gun forums) and not be met with hostility/judgemental attitudes. it seems like the internet has just become a place where people bash and badger people for the simple reason that they can.

Samuel Adams

imported post

Loneviking wrote:
Try a CZ 75, which is a double stack 9mm, and the controls on some models are ambidextrous. The SA/DA model safety, magazine release and slide release are all ambidextrous. I'm left handed as well and I know the problem of finding a left handed gun. I picked the CZ 82, in 9mm Makarov, which is also an ambidextrous gun.
+1 for both pistols.

eyesopened

imported post

You can't go wrong with the XD45C. I've had one for about a year now and no issues at all. The trigger feels even better after being broken in.

Eeyore

imported post

oj73 wrote:
....anyone know of any compact pistols (other than glock, too expensive) with ambidextrous safety/clip release buttons that i should take a look at? any help would be great. i'm trying not to spend more than 500, but i can definately stretch if anyone has a gun that i should definately take a look at.
See my "Pistols for Lefties" thread in this forum. In addition to the M&P and CZ85 already mentioned in this thread, there's the Bersa Thunder9 subcompact (~$350), which is ambi and has a toe on the mag to extend the grip. (Note: this is a completely different weapon than the old, tiny Thunder .380.) Also the new Sig P250 compact (~$550) is ambi and available with different sized grips and trigger lengths--not a subcompact, but "definitely worth a look."

For the non-ambi subcompacts, if you still like the XD subcompact, there's a $10aftermarket shoe that adds a 1/2-inch "toe" to the small mag. Remember, the XD SC is only about 3/4" shorter (in length)than the XD compact--the big difference is in grip size. IMHO,if you use the larger mag with sleeve on the SC, or the shoe on the short mag, you might as well get the compact. Alsoconsider the new Taurus 24/7 subcompact (<$400), which appears to be replacing the Millenium Pro line of subcompacts. The grip is a little bigger and more ergonomic than the XD SC, it's cheaper, but maybe not as high-quality.

Mjolnir

imported post

Can't believe nobody mentioned the Beretta 92FS, she's a sweet shooting pistol just made for big hands and lefties :cool::cool:

DangerousDave

imported post

I have fairly average size hands so I'll list the guns that don't fit me all that well.

SIG 226 AND 229 (Elite and Equinox grips, standard grips are okay)

HK USP45

any ParaOrdnance double stack 1911

FN Five Seven

Glock 20 and 21

Beretta 92 series

XD45 fullsize seems a hair large, but workable. XD40 compact is perfectly okay

A medium frame 357 magnum revolver with a 2 or 3 inch barrelmay be a good alternative for you since a variety of grips is available.

mhemu

imported post

oj, I too have large hands (long skinny fingers and wide palms) and had some trouble finding a cc gun to fit my hand while still being able to maintain control over it. I'll run down my experience as it might be useful for you.

I went to my range and rented just about every compact gun they had by manufacturers I trust. All the guns I tried were .40's, so if you were trying 9's, that into account.

Glock 27: Almost 2 fingers were off the frame and when firing the weapon, it nearly jumped outta my hand every time. I didn't get a chance to try it with any mag extenders, but I felt the gun would jump almost as much based on my experience with it.

HK USPc: very very nice, perfect fit, fires beautifully. Only issues I had with it were price and it was substantially larger than all the other "compact" guns I was trying (a note, I own a full sized usp, so I'm a bit biased)

Sprinfield XDSC: nice weapon, pretty controllable. Pinky off the grip. I didn't shoot with the enxtended mag and when I checked out the extended mag it seemed to add a little too much length for my liking but I'm sure would make it more controlable/comfortable to hold while firing.

HK P2000: Both the standard and SK versions, neither fit well nor fired well for me personally. Didn't like the trigger nor how much it jumped while firing.

S&W M&Pc: Fit really well, tried the adjustable palm swells, and the finger extention mag. VERY controlable. Without the mag extention the gun still was very controlable, pinky wasn't completely off the grip but I chose to tuck it under the base of the grip anyway and didn't feel too weird.

My choice came down to the XDSC and the M&Pc. The M&P performed better for me while shooting as far as accuracy and jump/control was concerned. I did like the XD's trigger and grip safety better, but not enough to sway me. I ended up with the M&Pc and haven't looked back. My local shop was having a sale on them plus the rebate (good till 4/30) with cash back and 2 free mags finally pushed me over the edge.

I'd suggest you try the M&P compact if you haven't already, fits the big mits well and since you're a lefty the ambi mag release is there on the M&P. If you look around and act quickly, you can grab one for $400-450 with 4 mags (if you jump on the rebate asap)

Happy hunting!

RHVette

imported post

Maybe you'd like the G21SF? I've handled the G21 and the G21SF, and it really does make a difference; if the G21 is just a little too big for you, the SF should be a perfect fit.

Huck

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
My advice, get a revolver.
The grip can always be changed to accomadate you.

I agree, that's one of the things I like about revolvers over automatics. Since the grip on a auto is also the magazine well you're very limited on adjusting the grip sizeto suit you.

I have smaller than average hands so finding a pistol with a grip that aint too big can be a problem. The grip on my XD-45 Tactical is pushing the limit towards being too big but the grips I got from Hogue ([font="Arial, Helvetica, San-Serif"][size=-1]Ruger GP100/Super Redhawk Rubber Monogrip)[/size][/font]for my Ruger revolvers to replace the ones they came with do the job nicely. Now if onlyHogue would make them available without finger grooves I'd be in hog heaven!

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

oj73 wrote:
Hi. i've been in the market for a handgun for the last few weeks now. first off, i'm left handed and i have very large hands, so i've been having some problems finding one that fit properly. i recently went to a gun shop and fired an XD 40 sub compact and a used SA 1911. unfortunately the shop owner only had the 10 round clip for the sub compact XD, and i loved the way it fired. the only issue was that the end of the grip stopped short about an inch and a half on my palm. it was unconfortable to the point of feeling unsafe. the 1911 had a nicer grip, but it just didn't feel right in my hand and the clip release was on the left side, not to mention that it was harder to maintain a proper site picture after repeat firings than the XD. I also fired the 45 acp with the 5" barrel, but it was far too big. i work in an area where i need something a little more "agile" if i would need it for any reason. anyone know of any compact pistols (other than glock, too expensive) with ambidextrous safety/clip release buttons that i should take a look at? any help would be great. i'm trying not to spend more than 500, but i can definately stretch if anyone has a gun that i should definately take a look at.
"I also fired the 45 acp with the 5" barrel, but it was far too big.."

I thought you had big hands?

A Glock is too expensive? What planet do you live on?

Get a Glock19. If your glove size is bigger than XXL, get a Glock17.