• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to the site..

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hello All

I am new to this forum, and please allow mew to introduce myself. I am 31 5' 10" 197lbs male Married with one baby. I do practice with my gun frequently, ranges competitions, and dry drawing and firing, I would say I am above avg. in performance. ( I believe that if I am going to carry, I better know how to use it) I am not new to carrying, I have CC for 6 years now and thank God I have never had a incident to draw my Gun or have I ever been made by anyone. I make sure I my firearm is concealed. I am living in Lakewood WA now, but was born in NC, and I must say I am so happy with the gun laws WA has, and that makes me love this state even more.

I have never carried my firearm open, but I have from the age of 16 known that it was legal to carry a loaded pistol in public, but I never have, because I know that some people may not take well to seeing a guy with a gun. I know and I am sure most members of the forum knows that a GG will know how to carry him/her self with a loaded gun in public or private places, and a BG will just hide his weapon and when he shows it, 100% of the time it is for nothing good. So I do not know why people will bug-out over seeing a man carry a pistol on his side, and carrying on like anyone else on the planet. I guess they just don’t ask questions or just assume.

Like I said before I have not carried my pistol in public, but now that I found this site, and I see there are lots of people here that know a thing or two about the laws of WA. And could inform me or direct me to info I need in the circumstance of me OCing and approached by a LO or a PBO. I think I will start OC now. But I will do lots of research first, anyway I am overseas and cant carry now if I wanted to. For starters I think when I return home and after reading on laws and ordinances I think I will start my OC life style when my wife and myself walk our baby boy and my in the neighborhood. Then I see myself will graduate to public streets, and then I will exercise my rights in establishments. Only after I have read and understand the laws for I will have a foot to stand on if every approached. I do not want to just say it's my right but have no proof to back it up other than the 2nd.

The only fear I have of OC is that a nut my try to snatch my gun, and use it on me. So I am thinking about also having my S&W .357Mag in my opposite pocket. For a backup.

With that being said, does anyone know of any self defense training classes I can take that will cover the situation of a BG trying to take my weapon? I am a tough guy, but there is always someone tougher than I, and I do not want my own gun used against me.

I think this is a cool site, and I look forward to learning more from people here, and contributing what I can at times.

My CC weapon is a simple Springfield Mil Spec ,45
My Pocked pistol BG is a S&W light .357 Mag
And when I OC it my be my XD .40 or .45
But I just my get another Beautiful S&W or Kimber 1911 (I love that style of gun) to compliment my Outfit. haha

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
(snip)does anyone know of any self defense training classes I can take that will cover the situation of a BG trying to take my weapon?

You didn't say what part of Washington you live in, butno matter where you live it would be worth your time to go to Onalaska in Lewis County and attend some defensive classes at the Firearms Academy of Seattle. (I guess nobody's heard of Onalaska.) You can find their web site here: http://www.firearmsacademy.com/

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
Yeah I mentioned I live in Lakewood WA. Just south of Tacoma. :)
My bad. I sorta skimmed your post instead of reading it in detail. I used to be able to read every new post on this site but it's grown so much in the last year that it's darn near impossible to keep up anymore. The only way I can read most of the stuff on here that interests me AND get my work done is if I speed-read, and then I miss pertinent details like this. :(

expvideo

imported post

Welcome to the forums! There are a lot of great people here in the WA state forum, and I think that you'll find it to be a very educational place as far as WA state law goes. Anyway, OC is an excellant option, especially with summer around the corner, and it's nice to be able to express your rights every once in a while (or all the time, whatever) to remind people that we are still free.

If you are unconfident OCing, a good way to break the ice is to come to one of the monthly OC lunch meetups. Every month there is a lunch gathering where people from the WA state forum get together and OC to a restaurant/park/gunshow, etc. It's always easier to do something out of the ordinary if there are other people doing the same thing. Of course you might be comfortable with it from the word go, but if you are nervous, the lunches are great for new OCers.

Again, welcome! Make sure to ask any questions you have, we are a friendly group after all. Most of us, anyway

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would love to be part of something good. And I know I will learn a lot here, guns are a passion for me. Every since I fired my mom’s .22 and a nice .38 Cal when I was a pup

Yeah I think I will have no problem going out in public with my gun on my hip, it’s the standing up for my right I think I am weak in.

Like if I was asked to leave, Ill just leave no question asked…

But yeah I will join and learn form you guys. Thanks a lot.

I think i wil learn how to stand up for my rights from this site:celebrate

swillden

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
Like if I was asked to leave, Ill just leave no question asked…
If you're asked to leave that's EXACTLY what you should do. You can argue about your rights up to that point, but when they ask you to leave, failing to comply is trespassing.

Welcome, and I hope your OC experiences are as event-free as mine have been.

expvideo

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
...I think i wil learn how to stand up for my rights from this site:celebrate

I'm sure you will. I know I did. I learned most of what I know about my rights and about WA state law through conversations on this board, and research of my own FOR conversations on this board :D

I learned how to stand up for my rights, too. This is a great place to learn about liberty and the law, regardless of whether you actually OC.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Speaking of trespassing When I applied for my CC I saw a question on the form that asked if I was ever convicted for trespassing.. If let's say I went into a place with my CC, or OC and did not see a new firearm notice, like lets say a convent store. And I am in turn cited for trespassing will I lose my CC permit?

Nosrac

imported post

Hey neighbor. Let me know when you get back. I live close to the Lakewood Town Center so if you want to meet up and OC at a OC friendly site let me know. I'm just starting to ask different places in Lakewood that I frequent if they have an issue with OC.

expvideo

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
Speaking of trespassing When I applied for my CC I saw a question on the form that asked if I was ever convicted for trespassing.. If let's say I went into a place with my CC, or OC and did not see a new firearm notice, like lets say a convent store. And I am in turn cited for trespassing will I lose my CC permit?
They have to warn you that you are trespassing. A sign saying "no guns" does not make it trespassing to enter with a gun. Not in WA state anyway. They have to ask you to leave before you are trespassing.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

expvideo wrote:
Alwayspacking wrote:
They have to warn you that you are trespassing. A sign saying "no guns" does not make it trespassing to enter with a gun. Not in WA state anyway. They have to ask you to leave before you are trespassing.

OH SWEET!! Thats good to know. I learn something already. Very good to know.

And expvieo we are closer than you think. I live behind QFC in lakewood... I will love to meet you when I get back home. I can come home any time now. I just have to save some more money b4 I do. But I think4-6 more months

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was just thinking about those places and thanks for the info the sporting store, as you find out more please do let me know. It's good to know that when I get home there is someone in the area with the same interest in OC as myself.

Mainsail

imported post

expvideo wrote:
Alwayspacking wrote:
357Wheelgun would not agree with that statement, as you can see in this exchange we had over at THR. I don't buy that, especially since I've been asked to leave a few places by someone with the authority to have me trespassed. Pacific Place in Seattle comes to mind.

compmanio365

imported post

Usually I demand to talk to the general manager, or the most senior person there, and try to talk to that person about their problem before accepting that they have the authority to demand me to leave the premises. I've had a couple instances where an assistant manager or employee asks me to leave or gives me a hard time, and when I speak to a superior, they state the opposite, that they don't want me to leave, don't want to lose my business, etc.

Now if the general manager agrees and says GTFO, then yeah, you gotta go. But make sure you are speaking to the manager before you resign yourself to never giving a place your business again. If we all left the first time anybody in a store gave us crap about OC, we wouldn't have anywhere to shop.......

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well mainsail, from what I read in the link you posted in #16, I understand that if there is a notice on the door or a place, or a sign posted and I see it, and still enter the establishment and I get caught then I will or could be charged with Trespassing, and I will lose my CCW. (That’s what I read) thanks for the link

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As I continue reading that discussion, #18 I see that if I am asked to leave a establishment because of OC or CC orthen, I can never enter that place again or I will be or could be charged with TPassing,:what: Then I lose my CCW. Am I understanding that right?

Mainsail

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
Well mainsail, from what I read in the link you posted in #16, I understand that if there is a notice on the door or a place, or a sign posted and I see it, and still enter the establishment and I get caught then I will or could be charged with Trespassing, and I will lose my CCW. (That’s what I read) thanks for the link

Like I said, I’m not buying it. Much of what they wrote is complete nonsense, which I tried to point out. If someone doesn’t want you somewhere, they’ll tell you. There are dozens of people who love to walk around telling you something.

j2l3

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Alwayspacking wrote:

Not necessarily. A business can place conditions on your future entry to the property. If they tell you that you can come back anytime you are unamrmed, then you can come back. Being asked to leave is not always the same as being trespassed. If you are being formally trespassed, they will need to issue you a trespass admonishment or warning in writing. Either the business will do this or the police will. This initial warning rarely results in anything further. Without the written document, it is difficult for a company to prove you knew you shouldn't be there.

That's why I always keep a pre-written warning on my desk citing the applicable city municipal code. All I need to do is fill in the personal particulars on the person, sign it, have the person to sign it and give that person a copy. Then a copy is sent to the police for their records.

Refusal to sign does not mean it has no force. A witness can sign attesting to the person refusing to sign, and it would still stand.

We have never used this form at my work place.