• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Torch teams to patrol NYC subway

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Let's rename it "Operation Conditioning the Public for Martial Law". If the gov't is going to BOHICA the people, they should at least be honest about it.

Pointman

imported post

It seems a whole lot less expensive to allow American Citizens to conceal carry.

41 Magnum

imported post

I lack the oratory and literaryskills to put my feelingsabout this into words. It almost makes me just want to assume the fetal position for awhile.

How in the hell do we EVER beat this kind of stuff back? Is there any possible way America will ever return to what she once was?

Just try to stop on the dam at the head of lake mead to take you picture standing in both states.....Hell no, you might be a terrorist.

Ihear no one is allowed in the torch of the Statue of Liberty any longer......

Somehow folks think that the National Guard thing that happened in 1913 has everything to do with the 2nd Amendment of theConstitution written over 100 years previous.....

We(society as a whole)think thatsocial security is a good thing, and needs to be saved....

Hillary and Obama both actually have a chance at being president.......

And the list goes on. Freedom? Not anymore. We're flat out subjects, not citizens. Haven't been for more than 50 years or more.

PT111

imported post

I may be worng but the torch of the Statue of Liberty has been off limits to the publicfor at least 60 years now. I did visit it back in 1968 and it was closed then due to structural concerns and not about any sort of terrorism.

America has changed and one of the main reasons is simply because of the population growth both of the US and of the world. There are some changes that we are going to have to endure and all we can do is bitch about them or curl up into a fetal position and hide underthe bed. I grew up on a frarm in the deep South in the 50's and you talk about changes in lifestyle from then until now. The one thing that really bugs me is the ones I hear telling about how it was back then that weren't even bornthen and have never been below the Mason-Dixon line. They have no idea of what was going on or how we lived but they are the experts on what I was thinking and how I acted. Yes America is changing but it isn't the first time it has changed and won't be the last..

Tomahawk

imported post

PT111 wrote:
I may be worng but the torch of the Statue of Liberty has been off limits to the publicfor at least 60 years now. I did visit it back in 1968 and it was closed then due to structural concerns and not about any sort of terrorism.
Before 9/11 I think the torch was open by appointment only. You could talk your way into it with the park rangers. I went there when I was about 11 or 12 with my dad and my younger brother. After we went to the crown and back, I asked one of the rangers about a guy I had seen on the TV show That's Incredible who worked in the torch. The ranger said he knew him. Later, when my dad and brother were in the rest room, the ranger came back and asked me if I wanted to go up in the torch and see the guy. Like the idiot I am, I turned him down because I was more afraid of what my dad would do to me when he couldn't find me than I was eager to go up there.

Now I think it's just plain closed to public all the time no matter what. Another thing lost from a freer time, I guess.

expvideo

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
41 Magnum wrote:
And the list goes on. Freedom? Not anymore. We're flat out subjects, not citizens. Haven't been for more than 50 years or more.
I'd say that either 1865 or 1933 is the year that marked that transition...
Please pardon my ignorance, but why 1933?

imperialism2024

imported post

expvideo wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
41 Magnum wrote:
Please pardon my ignorance, but why 1933?
The second Roosevelt assumed power.

PT111

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
PT111 wrote:
Before 9/11 I think the torch was open by appointment only. You could talk your way into it with the park rangers. I went there when I was about 11 or 12 with my dad and my younger brother. After we went to the crown and back, I asked one of the rangers about a guy I had seen on the TV show That's Incredible who worked in the torch. The ranger said he knew him. Later, when my dad and brother were in the rest room, the ranger came back and asked me if I wanted to go up in the torch and see the guy. Like the idiot I am, I turned him down because I was more afraid of what my dad would do to me when he couldn't find me than I was eager to go up there.

Now I think it's just plain closed to public all the time no matter what. Another thing lost from a freer time, I guess.

I know a fellow that claims in about 1960 he was visiting it on his Senior Class trip and he and a girl jumped the rope and went up into the torch and had a little afternoon delight.:shock: Whether he was telling the truth or not it does point out that the torch was closed as far back as then. :lol:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Statue of Liberty, including skirt and arm, were damaged in the Black Tom Pier explosion in 1916 (munitions espionage) and to the bets of my knowledge, after repair the arm and torch were never officially again opened to the public.

Tomahawk

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
The Statue of Liberty, including skirt and arm, were damaged in the Black Tom Pier explosion in 1916 (munitions espionage) and to the bets of my knowledge, after repair the arm and torch were never officially again opened to the public.

Yes, but like I said, you used to be able to talk yourself into it. According to wikipediathe current torch is not the original torch, which was damaged by the 1916 explosion, and replaced in the mid-1980's restoration because engineers judged the patchwork repair on the original to be inadequate and leaky. Apparently the weather had rotted it over the years. Also, the iron internal structure was replaced with stainless steel, and the arm is now plenty sturdy, but the reason visitors aren't allowed in the torch is not terrorism, but, get this, fire code regs.

The tyranny of for-your-own-good safety rules thus prevents us from fully enjoying our (Lady) Liberty.

PT111

imported post

The tyranny of for-your-own-good safety rules thus prevents us from fully enjoying our (Lady) Liberty.
Just who do these people think they are trying to protect me from myself?:cuss: I am not exactly what fire has to do with it seeing as how it is all metal and I don't think it isd made of magnesium :question:but there isn't much room for anything in the rest of it other and to be pushed around so I can only imagine what the torch would be like open to the public. If someone has a heart attack near the top I can see it could be very serious trying to get help.

Tomahawk

imported post

Well, to be honest, if it were open, you'd have to limit access just for practical reasons. When I visited back in the early 1980s, it was a huge crowd and a long, slow line, just to get to the crown, and that's on a spiral staircase just wide enough for two skinny people side-by-side. The stairway up the arm to the torch is steeper and much skinnier, almost like a ladder. Getting people in and out would be difficult, so you'd have to wait in a much longer line.

Even still, if the fire codes require people to evacuate quickly, they should really close the whole statue, period. If something were to happen while you're on that spiral staircase you're not going anywhere anytime soon, unless you leap to your death down the inside of the statue!

unreconstructed1

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
41 Magnum wrote:

by 1865, the FED had proven that its authority was greater than that of the constitution, thereby destroying these United STates and replacing it with the foundations of tyrrany.

LEO 229

imported post

expvideo wrote:
Why does the commissioner have heavily armed and armored elite police forces standing behind him for a press conference?

terror.jpg

What kind of image does this project about government?
I just watched the news clip... he is speaking about the men.... behind him.. and that is why they are there. :banghead:

Please tell me you never saw the new video and was only given the picture. If you took the snapshot yourself... I am going to nominate you for a dumb ass award. :?

You can view the video here http://wcbstv.com/local/machine.guns.subway.2.707398.html

They have 5 million riders a day on the subway and it is a major terrorist target. That is why they are there in such force. They want to deter anyone from even thinking about trying to make such an attack in the future.

Pointman

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
They have 5 million riders a day on the subway and it is a major terrorist target. That is why they are there in such force. They want to deter anyone from even thinking about trying to make such an attack in the future.
Then arm the public. They're omni-present, and cost a lot, lot less.

LEO 229

imported post

Pointman wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Then arm the public. They're omni-present, and cost a lot, lot less.
I can justsee 5 million people all jumping in to shoot what they believe is a threat and then they shoot everyone they see with a gun and then they all shoot each other.

Not my place to arm everyone. And I am not sure I would feel that safe having untrained people with guns in a confined space who I could not readily identify as a friendly with a gun.

How do I know the guy wearing a burka is shooting a bad guy and not innocent people?

Pointman

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I can justsee 5 million people all jumping in to shoot what they believe is a threat and then they shoot everyone they see with a gun and then they all shoot each other.
I didn't know you were part of the Brady Foundation for Advancing Gun Violence. :shock:

Police departments are made up of the same humans we find in the general population. They also make mistakes, like yelling, "GUN!" when there is none.

LEO 229

imported post

Pointman wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
I didn't know you were part of the Brady Foundation for Advancing Gun Violence. :shock:

Police departments are made up of the same humans we find in the general population. They also make mistakes, like yelling, "GUN!" when there is none.
And they limited the direction of their gun fire so that 5 million people were not killed or injured.