• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Torch teams to patrol NYC subway

Flintlock

imported post

http://wcbstv.com/local/machine.guns.subway.2.707398.html

Machine Gun-Toting Officers To Patrol NYC Subway
M4 Carbine Rifles, MP5 Submachine Guns & Bomb Sniffing Dogs Part Of New "Torch Team" Anti-Terror Efforts
NEW YORK (CBS) ― More protection against terrorists is coming to a subway station near you. Starting Thursday, special bomb teams, known as "Torch Teams," will be toting submachine guns and bringing bomb-sniffing dogs onto the platforms and into the trains. CBS 2 HD was out first thing Thursday morning on the lookout for these significant security measure improvements.

It's a first for mass transit in the United States. NYPD officers, armed with rifles, submachine guns, body armor and bomb-sniffing dogs will begin patrolling the city's subway system thanks to a 50 percent increase in a homeland security grant.

The city's massive subway system has long been considered a potential terror target. Six officers and a dog will constitute a team, patrolling all platforms and trains in 12-hour shifts. The "Torch Teams" will be toting MP5 submachine guns and M4 Carbine riflesthat are used by Navy seals and FBI hostage-rescue teams. The teams are being paid for by $151 million from the Feds.

Similarly equipped NYPD units, known as "Hercules Teams," have patrolled Wall Street, the Empire State Building and other aboveground city landmarks for years as a response to the World Trade Center attacks.

A police official likened the "Torch Teams" to "Hercules Teams" with MetroCards. In this age of heightened security, commuters and keen canines will share the underground world of mass transit.

"It's a very good idea. It's like a deterrent. It's going to make me feel safer, much safer, yes it will. It's a good idea," said commuter Patricia Knight Williams.

Huck

imported post

"It's a very good idea. It's like a deterrent. It's going to make me feel safer, much safer, yes it will. It's a good idea," said commuter Patricia Knight Williams.

Sure you do, until you get jacked up because one of the dogs hit on your bag after smelling the hoagie you have in there for your lunch.

ScottyT

imported post

Huck wrote:

Sure you do, until you get jacked up because one of the dogs hit on your bag after smelling the hoagie you have in there for your lunch.
I guess they will just have to ban all deli meats from the subway too... it's ok though, it is for national security!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When I was a kid I remember watching the news at night and seeing guards walking around train platforms, government buildings and airports with machine guns and dogs and thinking, "Thank God I was not born in one of those countries. What a horrible place to live!"

Now this doesn't change things much in that I have always thought that NYC would be a horrible place to live, but the NYPD recreating those Eastern Bloc news images of my youth is disconcerting to say the least. I hope those officers feel better about their penis size. :cuss:

DrewGunner

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
When I was a kid I remember watching the news at night and seeing guards walking around train platforms, government buildings and airports with machine guns and dogs and thinking, "Thank God I was not born in one of those countries. What a horrible place to live!"
Really! Reminds you of some old Nazi war movie.

I just talk to a friend that got back from NY. I guess if you want to visit Ground Zero it'll cost you 10 bucks.

PT111

imported post

deepdiver wrote:

Now this doesn't change things much in that I have always thought that NYC would be a horrible place to live, but the NYPD recreating those Eastern Bloc news images of my youth is disconcerting to say the least. I hope those officers feel better about their penis size. :cuss:
How do you suggest they patrol the subways? Unfortunately we are reaching exactly what you describe as those Eastern Bloc countries in our probability of attacks.

DrewGunner

imported post

PT111 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

How do you suggest they patrol the subways? Unfortunately we are reaching exactly what you describe as those Eastern Bloc countries in our probability of attacks.
Do you think an M4 is going to stop a suicide bomber?

Flintlock

imported post

PT111 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

Well, they could at least attemptto use cutting edgetechnologies that are able to detect explosive materials, WMD's, etc. (which I am sure they do to some extent)as well aslet the people freelycarry firearms to protect themselves from criminal elements. There has to be a better way than is described here.

Using the police in this manner with bomb sniffing K9 unitsjust confirms to many that NYC and parts of the rest of the U.S. are moving closer to a police state mentality. You can't seem to be able to travel in a bus, subway, go to a ball gameor anything without feeling like you are in a major internationalairport, on camera, being searched,or under some other type ofstrict scrutiny. It also gives the police in that area a bad image when they cart around that type of weaponry as it makes them look paramilitary, or like some special ops unit patroling our cities.

A little safety at the expense of liberty is damaging to our long-term future, IMO.

imperialism2024

imported post

PT111 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

How about leaving the rest of the ******* world alone? Then let the good people of New York arm themselves to protect against the street crime.

I mean, hitting a hornet's nest with a baseball bat while trying to not get stung does get old after a while. :banghead:

Tomahawk

imported post

PT111 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

Well, let's see, this is OCDO, so I guess someone has to say it:

Allow New Yorkers to carry handguns, and encourage them to be vigilant and responsible for their own security, like you're supposed to do in America!

I know it's difficult to imagine a world without cops and dogs sniffing through your stuff every time you step outside to go to work or to the store, but try.

deepdiver: I know exactly how you feel. I try to explain this to people, and they look at me like I'm crazy. That was different, they say, those were communist dictatorships. We have to give up freedom to be safe from terrorists! DUCT TAPE, PLEASE!

Nothing is beyond the pale, anymore. In addition to having to answer to some guy in a uniform with a dog whenever you want to travel, you have to submit to having your stuff searched, your body sniffed and scanned with see-through machines, your email and financial records snooped through, the list goes on and on. If someone invented a way to read minds, you'd have to submit to that, too, no doubt.

And the authorites and those who apoligize for them tell us we're supposed to be cool with it. I'm amazed at how much East German charm we've picked up in just a few short years.

samdavisrises

imported post

class="post"
Ducknazi.jpg

When der Fuehrer says, "We ist der master race"
We HEIL! (phhht!) HEIL! (phhht!) Right in der Fuehrer's face
Not to love Der Fuehrer is a great disgrace
So we HEIL! (phhht!) HEIL! (phhht!) Right in der Fuehrer's face

When Herr Göbbels says, "We own der world und space"
We HEI[L! (phhht!) HEIL! (phhht!) Right in Herr Göring's face
When Herr Göring says they'll never bomb this place
We HEIL! (phhht!) HEIL! (phhht!) Right in Herr Göring's face

Are we not the supermen
Aryan pure supermen
Ja we ist der supermen
Super-duper supermen.

Ist this Nutzi land not good?
Would you leave it if you could?
Ja this Nutzi land is good!
Vee would leave it if we could

We bring the world to order
Heil Hitler's new world order
Everyone of foreign race will love der Fuehrer's face
When we bring to der world disorder

When der Fuehrer says, "We ist der master race"
We HEIL! (phhht!) HEIL! (phhht!) Right in der Fuehrer's face
When Der Fuehrer says, "We ist der master race"
We HEIL! (phhht!) HEIL! (phhht!) Right in der Fuhrer's face

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The fundamental breakdown in understanding from the sheep is that submachine gun wielding uniformed employees of the state with guard dogs patrolling American streets means that the terrorists have won.

Period. End of story.

They have now undoubtedly won.

Thank you once again NYC. The point of terrorism is to make us give up something. To make us change our way of life, our behavior, to accomodate something about the terrorist. We have. We have changed grotesquely in the last 20 years. The only change we should be undergoing in response to the terrorist attacks is, as Tomahawk succinctly said, "Allow [all Americans in every state and city] to carry handguns [and long guns], and encourage them to be vigilant and responsible for their own security, like you're supposed to do in America!"

expvideo

imported post

Why does the commissioner have heavily armed and armored elite police forces standing behind him for a press conference?

terror.jpg

What kind of image does this project about government?

imperialism2024

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
The fundamental breakdown in understanding from the sheep is that submachine gun wielding uniformed employees of the state with guard dogs patrolling American streets means that the terrorists have won.

Period. End of story.

They have now undoubtedly won.

Thank you once again NYC. The point of terrorism is to make us give up something. To make us change our way of life, our behavior, to accomodate something about the terrorist. We have. We have changed grotesquely in the last 20 years. The only change we should be undergoing in response to the terrorist attacks is, as Tomahawk succinctly said, "Allow [all Americans in every state and city] to carry handguns [and long guns], and encourage them to be vigilant and responsible for their own security, like you're supposed to do in America!"
+1 to that.