• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Dangerous Weapons -- like plastic knives.

ScottyT

imported post

I just had a bit of a DUH moment when studying Utah weapons laws. I always thought that my "Concealed Firearms Permit" allowed me to just conceal firearms, which is obviously not the case. It allows me to conceal any "dangerous weapon" (that I can legally own, of course). 76-10-523 exempts permit holders from 76-10-504, 1(a) and 1(b). Meaning A permit holder can carry knives (or whatever) concealed! How did I not realize this before?

I was looking at the awesome, super-lightweight "Nightshade" knives from Cold Steel, just thinking that I wouldn't mind having one of those on my ankle or something. I am not sure why I would want it, I guess lethal force is lethal force whether you are stabbing the BG or shooting him... I guess they might come in handy if you cannot (and do not) carry at work/wherever?

What are your opinions of carrying knives? (besides pocket knives and multi-tools)

Mr. Magnum

imported post

I always carry a knife both for defense & as an offten used tool.

Although, I seriously believe that you should take some knife fighting training if you plan to carry a knife as a defensive weapon.

If you pull a knife & your opponent chooses to engage (with or without a knife of his own) things will get up-close & very, very messy quickly. Plus if he knows what he's doing or just gets lucky you'll end-up on the receiving end.

Obviously, if you have had any training just ignore the above.;)

b1ack5mith

imported post

a swift kick to the testicular region will stop any situation in a heartbeart, guaranteed... unless its a huge biker chick, then you must go for the eyes.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Just a quick warning. If I recall correctly, and I don't have time to double check right now, so apoligies if I am wrong and please correct me if I am, that a CCW permit does NOT allow you to legally carry a short barrelled shotgun or full auto machine gun concealed even if you have all the paperwork needed to legally own such a firearm.

althor

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
Just a quick warning. If I recall correctly, and I don't have time to double check right now, so apoligies if I am wrong and please correct me if I am, that a CCW permit does NOT allow you to legally carry a short barrelled shotgun or full auto machine gun concealed even if you have all the paperwork needed to legally own such a firearm.

You're right on the shotgun, and an SBR rifle would be the same, but I don't think there is any restriction on the machine gun... at least I can't find it.