Thread: Shooting on land next to a road

, ,

Post imported post

What is the legality of shooting on land immediately adjacent to a "State Route." I tried looking for an RCW but couldn't find anything about State Routes.

Assume safe conditions, back drop, shooting away from the road (90 degree angle).

IIRC it's illegal to shoot within a set distance from a Interstate, at least I have a vuage memory of hearing that.
    "I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman

"We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

"Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon

Seattle, Washington, USA

Post imported post

I too was wondering about this... I was told the other day that the beach (westport, wa) is state park and consider a state highway or state route. So shooting on it is illegal. Can anyone back that up?

Campaign Veteran
    SeaTac, Washington, USA

Post imported post

RCW 77.15.460

From the Washington state Hunters Phamplet

Discharging a firearm from,across, or along the maintained portion of any public highway,regardless of surface, is prohibited, except for disabled hunters in compliance with WAC232-12-828. Page 12

I am sure there is a restriction in the WAC specifing the number of feet you must be from a road but I have been unable to locate it. Seems like it was 150 yards but I am far from sure. I also don't know if there are exclusions.

From the US forest Service

Duck hunters questions about them enforcing their rules came up with this. Officials with the US Forest Service (USFS) offered assurances to Gun Week that such a situation could never happen, and at press time were researching the history of the questionable regulation, which prohibits shooting of any kind within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, or National Forest System road or adjacent body of water.