• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting on land next to a road

Dave_pro2a

imported post

What is the legality of shooting on land immediately adjacent to a "State Route." I tried looking for an RCW but couldn't find anything about State Routes.

Assume safe conditions, back drop, shooting away from the road (90 degree angle).

IIRC it's illegal to shoot within a set distance from a Interstate, at least I have a vuage memory of hearing that.

DrewGunner

imported post

I too was wondering about this... I was told the other day that the beach (westport, wa) is state park and consider a state highway or state route. So shooting on it is illegal. Can anyone back that up?

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

RCW 77.15.460

From the Washington state Hunters Phamplet http://www.cfr.washington.edu/Classes.ESC.250/WDFWhunting.pdf

Discharging a firearm from,across, or along the maintained portion of any public highway,regardless of surface, is prohibited, except for disabled hunters in compliance with WAC232-12-828. Page 12

I am sure there is a restriction in the WAC specifing the number of feet you must be from a road but I have been unable to locate it. Seems like it was 150 yards but I am far from sure. I also don't know if there are exclusions.

From the US forest Service

Duck hunters questions about them enforcing their rules came up with this. Officials with the US Forest Service (USFS) offered assurances to Gun Week that such a situation could never happen, and at press time were researching the history of the questionable regulation, which prohibits shooting of any kind within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, or National Forest System road or adjacent body of water.