• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private Sales

ccunning

imported post

When you make a private sale in Virginia I know you're not required to do anything, however it seems to me it would be a good idea to get some info on the buyer, particularly if that person is a stranger, just in case LEO 229 comes a'knocking.

Are you culpable if the buyer turns out to be a felon? Do you make any effort to determine if the buyer is legally elligable to own a gun? What, if any, information do you collect from a buyer when making a private sale?

LEO 229

imported post

§ 18.2-308.2:1. Prohibiting the selling, etc., of firearms to certain persons.

Any person who sells, barters, gives or furnishes, or has in his possession or under his control with the intent of selling, bartering, giving or furnishing, any firearm to any person he knows is prohibited from possessing or transporting a firearm pursuant to §§ 18.2-308.1:1, 18.2-308.2 or § 18.2-308.7 shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony. However, this prohibition shall not be applicable when the person convicted of the felony, adjudicated delinquent or acquitted by reason of insanity has (i) been issued a permit pursuant to subsection C of § 18.2-308.2 or subsection B of § 18.2-308.1:1, (ii) been pardoned or had his political disabilities removed in accordance with subsection B of § 18.2-308.2 or (iii) obtained a permit to ship, transport, possess or receive firearms pursuant to the laws of the United States.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ccunning wrote:
When you make a private sale in Virginia I know you're not required to do anything, however it seems to me it would be a good idea to get some info on the buyer, particularly if that person is a stranger, just in case LEO 229 comes a'knocking.

Are you culpable if the buyer turns out to be a felon? Do you make any effort to determine if the buyer is legally elligable to own a gun? What, if any, information do you collect from a buyer when making a private sale?
This has been hashed out before. As usual, everyone is different. After I let my FFL expire, I swore I would never do paperwork again. I don't give information, If asked if I am a convicted felon ...I simply say no!

They don't get a drivers license, or name and address or anything but the agreed price in cash.

The seller has the option of saying, no deal. That doesn't bother me at all. I have enough guns to last the rest of my life.

In this day and age, you can be sued for anything. If you feel uncomfortable with the buyer, cancel the sale.
Same thing with the buyer, he doesn't want to buy a stolen gun. I do have a friend with one of the PD's run the serial numbers for me after I buy one.

Now I;ll let LEO 229 tell you how you need a photo ID, a urine specimen, three sets of fingerprints and a reference from homeland security.
That's called, how to lose a sale quick!:lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

OOPS, looks like 229 already posted the criminal statute.

Again, use common sense. If your uncomfortable, don't sell it. Otherwise, take the cash and buy another one!:lol:

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

Now I;ll let LEO 229 tell you how you need a photo ID, a urine specimen, three sets of fingerprints and a reference from homeland security.
That's called, how to lose a sale quick!:lol:
which is why i was glad that i saw and recognized him at the last gun show in uniform and was sure to avoid him so that he would not be able to run the serial number on my firearm. :p

We're Watching You Leo229....but all jokes aside, LEO is a good guy

happy caryring,

jason

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:

happy caryring,

jason
I'll go along with that!

It's funny that I am NOT the only FFL that just got fed up with the system. A while back, at the Fishersville show ( I think it was the last one they had) I ran across a former dealer who had just let his FFL go, He felt the same way I did.

He had signed all his inventory as kept for personal use.
He was selling everything as a Private sale. Good prices too.
I bought a Remington 700, a Mossberg 500, a Dan Wesson 44 mag and a Taurus 454.
No questions, cash deal.

Neplusultra

imported post

KodiakISGOOD wrote:
which is why i was glad that i saw and recognized him at the last gun show in uniform and was sure to avoid him so that he would not be able to run the serial number on my firearm. :p

happy caryring,

jason
LEO229's pretty easy to spot in uniform :^); He's pretty hot in the second photo. I bet he makes a thrill run up Chris Matthew's leg everytime he thinks of him :D. (You know I'm joiking right?)

56480_bk.jpg

reno-911-lennon02.jpg

LEO 229

imported post

Where did you get those photos of me? Been hitting the old MySpace page again, huh??

Of course you do not need to get any paperwork for the purchase or sale of the gun. ;)

But for me... I would think it is for your own protection. Anyone that refusesmust have something to hide. But that is because LEO is always suspicious.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
§ 18.2-308.2:1. Prohibiting the selling, etc., of firearms to certain persons.

Any person who sells, barters, gives or furnishes, or has in his possession or under his control with the intent of selling, bartering, giving or furnishing, any firearm to any person he knows is prohibited from possessing or transporting a firearm pursuant to §§ 18.2-308.1:1, 18.2-308.2 or § 18.2-308.7 shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony. However, this prohibition shall not be applicable when the person convicted of the felony, adjudicated delinquent or acquitted by reason of insanity has (i) been issued a permit pursuant to subsection C of § 18.2-308.2 or subsection B of § 18.2-308.1:1, (ii) been pardoned or had his political disabilities removed in accordance with subsection B of § 18.2-308.2 or (iii) obtained a permit to ship, transport, possess or receive firearms pursuant to the laws of the United States.

unless you are a high ranking member of.........

nevermind

Neplusultra

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Where did you get those photos of me? Been hitting the old MySpace page again, huh??

Of course you do not need to get any paperwork for the purchase or sale of the gun. ;)

But for me... I would think it is for your own protection. Anyone that refusesmust have something to hide. But that is because LEO is always suspicious.
You know the really funny part is that I understand you look just like this guy! I just want you to know that I have the highest respect for police officers, especially when they have class 3 firearms that I hope to perhaps shoot one day :^).

LEO 229

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
You know the really funny part is that I understand you look just like this guy! I just want you to know that I have the highest respect for police officers, especially when they have class 3 firearms that I hope to perhaps shoot one day :^).
I do... but I do not dress this way at the meetings.. only at the range. :lol:

If you ever come up this way... drop me a note. We can hit the range. Tight shorts and all.

sjhipple

imported post

I've always been more concerned with buying a stolen gun. Not only because I don't want to buy from a thief, but because I'm afraid it would be confiscated from me were the # ever to be run and then I'd be out a few hundred bucks. I also could be a suspect which is why I always ask for ID when I do a private sale.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:

If you ever come up this way... drop me a note. We can hit the range. Tight shorts and all.

Spray n pray...:lol:
I guess I'd better not talk. My son just finished his first mouse gun. Did a damn nice job too. Raided my parts box and asked 1000 questions but it shoots well.

Neplusultra

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:

OK, now you're scaring me, but somehow I'll probably still take you up on it :D

nova

imported post

I've only done one private sale with someone I've never met previously. We did a sale, since both of us wanted to. Would gladly do business with him again. With guns I buy or receive from my parents or other family members, I don't bother, as I'm pretty sure I can trust them ;)

LEO 229

imported post

nova wrote:
I've only done one private sale with someone I've never met previously. We did a sale, since both of us wanted to. Would gladly do business with him again. With guns I buy or receive from my parents or other family members, I don't bother, as I'm pretty sure I can trust them ;)
Ya... people you are connected to and know the background of are definitely different.

I am more concerned with selling or buying from some Joe Schmo. ;)

Not that someone would knowinglysell you stolen goods... ::Cough... ebay!!::

nova

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
nova wrote:
Ya... people you are connected to and know the background of are definitely different.

I am more concerned with selling or buying from some Joe Schmo. ;)

Not that someone would knowinglysell you stolen goods... ::Cough... ebay!!::

Yep I agree. The person that was a stranger to me had posted an ad on a gun forum, so I was able to look at his online history (how long he as been amember of that site, what he posts, etc.) so I was at least able to know he wasn't a thug that joins a site to just sell a gun with an unknown history :)

But the real thing is to just see how they're like in person. If an alarm goes off in your head just walk away from the sale :cool:

vbnative73

imported post

I caught a lot of heartache from others in here about this topic when I required a CHP holder or LEO to purchase my Glock. In the end, I found a buyer who read my ad in the Trading Post. I saw his CHP and he didn't have any problem signing the following statement for me for my files:

"To Whom It May Concern:

By signing below, I certify that I am legally eligible to purchase and possess a handgun in the Commonwealth of Virginia."

But in the end, it's whatever makes you feel comfortable. As I've said before, I strongly oppose any law that makes me take the precautions, but I feel it is my responsibility to take them on my own.

OK, Peter Nap, go ahead and rip me up. I can take it. LOL

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

vbnative73 wrote:
I caught a lot of heartache from others in here about this topic when I required a CHP holder or LEO to purchase my Glock. In the end, I found a buyer who read my ad in the Trading Post. I saw his CHP and he didn't have any problem signing the following statement for me for my files:

"To Whom It May Concern:

By signing below, I certify that I am legally eligible to purchase and possess a handgun in the Commonwealth of Virginia."

But in the end, it's whatever makes you feel comfortable. As I've said before, I strongly oppose any law that makes me take the precautions, but I feel it is my responsibility to take them on my own.

OK, Peter Nap, go ahead and rip me up. I can take it. LOL

No Need VB. I had my say and you had yours. If you read my posts above, I say to not sell if your uncomfortable.

It doesn't matter what my opinion is anyway. I rarely buy autos. I like wheelguns. So I wouldn't have bought yours.