• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Best 1911 for me!

WhiteFeather

imported post

So after much waiting and some unforcasted delay I present you with my brand new Smith and Wesson 1911PD!!!

DSCN05762.jpg

As I had stated in previous posts I figured I was going to catch some heat for getting a 1911 with a rail and an external safety. Although it was not my first choice there were reasons I bought this model and the rail, although cosmetically a set back, is starting to grow on me.

DSCN05812.jpg

Besides the rail it gets the PD (Personal Defense) serial number and markings because it is made with both civilian and Law Enforcement in mind. The slide is a high carbon steel alloy and the frame is S&W's highly prized Scandium alloy. Unloaded the model weighs a mere 32.oz this is roughly half of what your standard 1911 weighs without suffering from the anodized aluminium that most other manufacturers use in their light weight models. The entire pistol has a melonite coating that creates a 68hr hardness rating to help protect the finish. The difference between the Scandium and Anodized Aluminium is pretty simple. Scandium is a new alloy that S&W is keeping very hush hush because it displays all of the strength of regular 440 tool steel but it weighs significantly less. AA is made just by using standard aluminium and a moley coating to creat a steel like hardness. The problem happens when you crack that coating because underneath you only have the soft brittle aluminium. The coating on this model has nothing to do with the bolstering of the material but rather to help midigate the issue with holster wear and weather damage.

DSCN05792.jpg

I can attest that this pistol has a very solid feel, you would think that having only the frame made of scandium, it would create a very unballanced pistol, but once you insert a loaded magazine the ballance is unparalleled.

IMG_00082.jpg

The next question that comes to mind is recoil. If this model recoils anymore than a standard .45 ACP 1911 I don't notice it. What I do notice is that while holding it out arms out streched, the lighter weight makes this model very comfortable to shoot. After 220 rounds through the pistol over a two hour period I did not suffer from any pains associated with shooting the larger heavier type handguns or my old 1911 for that matter.

DSCN05852.jpg

The internal parts of this model are unbelievable. Having only owned a Taurus PT1911 I don't have much to compare it to, but the parts are thick heavy stainless steel that are machined to an amazing quality. There are some MIM parts on the model and I believe they are only the slide stop, sear, and hammer. Those are the only parts I have seen that could be MIM the rest are bar stock stainless. One of the most important things to look for on a 1911 is the lock up. Using a standard two ridge bar the lock up on this model is short of perfection. After handling an Ed Brown and this model on the same day I really felt that the SW1911PD had a tighter lock up.

This model has a drop safety built into the grip safety. There is a small plunger that is deactivated when you press the grip safety, once you have let go the plunger slides upward and blocks the firing pin from free floating. This was an addition made to bolster the sales to LE agencies. I find that this makes the safety a little stiffer but not so much as to hinder the grip.

Now onto the fun stuff!
I spent about two hours at the range after a thorough cleaning and lubing. I had about 200 rounds 230gr FMJ's and 20 rounds of my Winchester Ranger SXT carry ammo. I would have liked to put more through my new gun but the funds did not allow. I like to put at least 400 rounds through any new pistol before I carry it but I experienced no problems what so ever. I had 0 FTF's 0 stove pipes, 0 misfeeeds, the only thing that happened with any regularity was the constant thunder that issued out from the end of this well made firearm. I will be putting much more through it in time but I wanted a enough to shoot through to comfortably and confidently carry this firearm and the quality shown through any doubt I had.

I wanted to get the first 50 rounds through the model to loosen it up and really get a feel for it. This was done at 15 yards in a modified weaver stance.

DSCN05882.jpg

After a brief cool down period I wanted to test the overall group ability. Using Magtech 230gr FMJ's I used a rest and tried to get a grouping at 25 yards. This was the first time I used a rest and wow am I awful. I feel the I did a poor job at it but all of the shots were about two inches from eachother in areas so I won't complain to much. I even got two bullets through the same hole!

DSCN05862.jpg

I had 100 rounds left and decided to start practicing for some IPSC and since I had a target I decided to do some in place rapid fire testing.

Starting at the bottom and working my way up the target and farther in distance. I shot at 5 yards (Bottom), 10 yards(middle) and 15 yards(head). The groupings aren't the greatest but I was trying to aim and get a sight picture and pull the trigger as fast as I could.

DSCN05872.jpg

Parting with my first carry pistol was hard, and I will not say to many things negative about the PT1911 but this model has out performed my every expectation. The fit and finish in my opinion are outsanding, the handling and feel are far beyond my previous model, and the quality is up there with the great custom makers that everyone covets. I would suggest everyone to look and feel a S&W1911 before you decide on any other make because this one in my opinion was the best 1911 under $1100.

IMG_00102.jpg

Taken with my new Cannon SX100 IS.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I like the looks of that pistol, I knew it will look good on your hip, the fit and trim and color looks very nice, the front leaves me wanting. but if a BG has to see that end he will not even notice it..

I carry a Spring field Mil Spec 1911. It cost me $400.00 and I love that gun.. No jams in it yet. Lost of round through it. U have yourself a nice gun. I would have gotten the same thing.

I've owned hree 1911's and I am looking to get my 4th soon. I love that model, over any other. I love the feel of it and the recoil.

Love the 1911's

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Excepting the "Caution: Capable of accidently shooting Dumba$$e$ ignoring safe handling rules" and the S&W lettering on the slide I like it. I wish they would have just engraved it like SA does on the XD series leaving it black to blend in. Overall it is very sharp looking and I will have to go look at one in person.

But damn, really hate that "caution" lettering whereas I could live with the slide lettering.

WhiteFeather

imported post

Thank you all for your kind comments.

I'm actually quite embarrased about the grouping as it isn't that great. I had many flyers and the whole just kept getting bigger. I'm trying my hardest to keep practicing with both my eyes open. I feel that the advantages of doing this are unsurpassable and I would rather keep chugging along getting poor groupings than learn the wrong way.

I am going to taking a Basic pistol course soon taught by an instructor who promises me it will be anything but basic. It is preperation for my upcoming ipsc that I am going to get involved with.

But thank you all.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Not bad, not bad... wait... what's that on the side? Is that an extractor?!?:p

Just kidding. I think S&W put a lot of thought into this pistol and extractor design vs that other company that rimes with limber. Great buy, and respectable shooting!

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I like the rail. I have a PdSmitty and a Springer. Both are awesome, but the Smitty shoots hollow points without a hiccup, the Springer only shoots ball without a hiccup.

Nice pistol, I can't decide if I want another 1911 with a light rail or an M&P 9.

WhiteFeather

imported post

Thank you!

One of the biggest reasons I went with the S&W and have such confidence with it is that it loads empties. I have put a few in a magazine to see if I could get it to jam without any luck.

I also side with the hate for the white lettering on the side. I really love the S&W logo but I hate the "Caution" part. Is there anyway I can black that out?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

WhiteFeather wrote:
Thank you!

One of the biggest reasons I went with the S&W and have such confidence with it is that it loads empties. I have put a few in a magazine to see if I could get it to jam without any luck.

I also side with the hate for the white lettering on the side. I really love the S&W logo but I hate the "Caution" part. Is there anyway I can black that out?

Sharpie :D. lol But seriously I'm sure a coating of some sort could be applied to black the letters out. You could probably even get fancy and attempt to fill the letters in! I've seen it done on the terribly ugly side of a Taurus PT1911's slide, but I only saw the finished result, not how it was done.

So you say it was under $1100...but how much was it!?! :D:D If I were forced to buy a 1911 today (oh no, don't twist my arm lol), what you have there is probably exactly what I would get. I personally like the rail.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The more I look at it the more I think I could even live with the caution lettering on the frame. It really is a nice looking pistol.

Maybe I can find a used one in a year or two that someone has duracoted the frame of eliminating the questionable lettering. Even better. :)

Enjoy it WhiteFeather.

Question: Is the "caution" lettering just one top of the rail or is it actually engraved into the metal?

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

You have to ask yourself, "what's the purpose of the gun?" Just shoot the F-ing thing! The lettering will probably never affect your line of sight to the target. I hate billboards on my guns too, but they can always be refinished. I probably hate them because I never learned to read.:(

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
You have to ask yourself, "what's the purpose of the gun?" Just shoot the F-ing thing! The lettering will probably never affect your line of sight to the target. I hate billboards on my guns too, but they can always be refinished. I probably hate them because I never learned to read.:(
lol You make a good point, and some guns are pretty ugly no matter what you do, but they work incredibly well. A 1911, on the other hand, possesses form AND function :Dso it's nice to make them purdy lol.

WhiteFeather

imported post

Thank you!

I hate to bring a gun down to asthestics bust honestly for as much as they cost they should be gorgious. I did like my PT1911 but it had writing all over it, sometimes it looked as if someone had gone crazy with a can of gold spray paint and just starting tagging everything. The "Caution" lettering on this gun is the only thing I can complain about and I have a few things in the works to get rid of it.

As far as price I hate saying because I always feel like I'm bragging. I paid $929 out the door that includes everything that is tacked on plus I bought some Royal Purple Syn32 and a IDPA target to enjoy at the range.

So Maybe I paid less? I would have to look and that would involve going up stairs and rooting through my safe and to be honest I just don't have that kinda of enthusiasm to perform that much work before I have to go to work. In fact I'm kinda loosing some energy just typing.

In short I got the sidearm thanks to a little loan from the lady, a great shop owner who doesn't mind a layaway and Uncle sams welfare check, oh and my trade in. So I guess after the $100 rebateI think I put up like $300 for the gun on my own. Yeah thats it so it cost me $300.

:p

Oh PS. Here is another pic to druel over.

IMG_00322.jpg

Don Barnett

imported post

What did you use for lighting equipment. Looks like a Softbox straight overhead. Nice Photography.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WhiteFeather wrote:
Thank you!

I hate to bring a gun down to asthestics bust honestly for as much as they cost they should be gorgious. I did like my PT1911 but it had writing all over it, sometimes it looked as if someone had gone crazy with a can of gold spray paint and just starting tagging everything. The "Caution" lettering on this gun is the only thing I can complain about and I have a few things in the works to get rid of it.
Nice gun!

BTW, you had me LOLing a bunch. I totally agree about the PT1911; really nice fit & finish for the price, but all the writing is too much for me. :lol: