• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reno Earthquakes

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Of course there's two other possibilities: First that there is some power with the power enough to create these earthquakes and the intelligenct to plot them on a pattern.

Haven't you heard of Area 52? :shock: :shock: :shock:

USGS does show volcanic fields in the Reno vicinity, so the fact there's not a known fault there doesn't completely rule out seismic activity.

Outside-the-box thought -- I wonder if there's oil beneath there?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:
SNIP Of course there's two otherpossibilities: Firstthat there is some power with the power enough to create theseearthquakes and the intelligenct to plot them on a pattern.

Secondit could be a failure of The Matrix.

I notice you're carefully omitting the motive of the Powerincreating these earthquakes.

What have youbeen up to, Bob? :)

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
BobCav wrote:
SNIP Of course there's two otherpossibilities: Firstthat there is some power with the power enough to create theseearthquakes and the intelligenct to plot them on a pattern.

Secondit could be a failure of The Matrix.

I notice you're carefully omitting the motive of the Powerincreating these earthquakes.

What have youbeen up to, Bob? :)
OK, I have gambled a tiny bit (prob <$200), but I swear I've never gone near any of the brothels.

LOL....I firmly believe in God and His wrath. Sodom and Gomorrah? Yep.Reno and Sparks? LOL....this ain't it. To be sure, the God Squad is out in force!

More likely that God revealing His Power and Wrath through a recognizeable pattern, thereby giving those with reverence and intellegence (such as me...) to escape, I'd be more likely to believe that some programmer or calibrator got lazy!

Angels and Visions to "Get thee and thy wife out of Reno and whatever you do, don't look back" are more "God-like" than patterns out of puzzle pages!

(and if they're not,please forgive me Lord!)

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tess wrote:
Of course there's two other possibilities: First that there is some power with the power enough to create these earthquakes and the intelligenct to plot them on a pattern.

USGS does show volcanic fields in the Reno vicinity, so the fact there's not a known fault there doesn't completely rule out seismic activity.

Only in the Looney Tunes Movie! They were on the news today saying it's not due to vulcanic activity, but a slip-strike fault that they're saying isn't finished!

Latest report is that the scientists wouldn't be surprised if we got a 6.0 in the next 10 days. Problem is that we're 4 miles from the epicenters.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080426/ap_on_re_us/reno_earthquake

EDIT: Oh and today has been frighteningly quiet...

Rains

imported post

Indeed, I woke from a dead sleep for the 11:40 PM earthquake. Im on the third floor of an apartment complex about as far from the epicenter as BobCav. I have to say, it was fun :p I did realize that if it got worse and went on for longer, Id be in some trouble. Our door already doesnt open right, and a few things got knocked down. The xbox we had by the TV managed to take flight for a few feet, but other than that, all is well.

My friend works at the Scolaris on Robb Drive, and he was there when the quake happened. He said it was raining particle board ceiling tiles :shock: They called in 17 employees from all different stores, since there was over 400 broken wine bottles, and the floor was littered with stuff. The ground moved quite a bit there since its all crappy fill, and thats shown by the nice new hump that grew into the center of the floor of Scolaris, rofl! :lol:

Theyve been saying expect a 6.0, so Ive been waiting, and we've got water, canned food, and tons of ammo.

Loneviking

imported post

I was rockin and rollin in So. Lake Tahoe last night. I was reaaallly surprised as I didn't hear a rumble before the quake and the motion reminds me of up-thrust quakes such as the Northridge quake. The geologists don't quite know what to make of all of this as theoretically swarms of small earthquakes release pressure and are good. This time, the earthquakes are getting bigger!

And yes, there is lots of volcanic activity in the area. If you drive up Hwy 50 to So.Lake Tahoe you will go through Cave Rock which is the plug for an extinct volcano. The Long Valley Caldera is about four hours south of Carson City, around Bishop/Lone Pine/Mammoth area. Long Valley, back in the late 1800's, dropped several feet during one earthquake.

I just wish the earth would quit moving. As a California native, earthquakes didn't used to bother me until I went through the 7.5 Landers quake. Then, I got home to Redlands in time for the 6.5 Big Bear quake that went off later that same morning. If you want to look for shelter in a multi-story building, get to the stairwells. Most stairwells are 'poured in place' concrete and hold up much better with much less motion than pre-stressed concrete. Pre-stressed concrete just buckles with a big earthquake. The best bet, IMHO, is to get outside into an open field and get down on the ground.

PavePusher

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Tess wrote:

Only in the Looney Tunes Movie! They were on the news today saying it's not due to vulcanic activity, but a slip-strike fault that they're saying isn't finished!

Latest report is that the scientists wouldn't be surprised if we got a 6.0 in the next 10 days. Problem is that we're 4 miles from the epicenters.

Bob, if The SHTF, and you need a refuge, you're welcome down here in Tucson. If a major eruption occurs, we're out of the fall-out pattern so far as I can tell. We're easy to get to by major roads, and evacing my place, if neccesary, would be very easy. PM me for address and phone if you feel skittish.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PavePusher wrote:
BobCav wrote:
Tess wrote:

Bob, if The SHTF, and you need a refuge, you're welcome down here in Tucson. If a major eruption occurs, we're out of the fall-out pattern so far as I can tell. We're easy to get to by major roads, and evacing my place, if neccesary, would be very easy. PM me for address and phone if you feel skittish.

Thanks, bro. I trulyappreciate it. What an awesome place OCDO is! We have family in Spokane where we'll be moving to in just 3 weeks anyway so if anything happens we'll likely just head up there early. As early as possible that is as Rosana is hospital staff, she'll probably have to report and continue to do what she does best.

God willing we've seen the worst of it.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Rains wrote:
Indeed, I woke from a dead sleep for the 11:40 PM earthquake. Im on the third floor of an apartment complex about as far from the epicenter as BobCav. I have to say, it was fun :p I did realize that if it got worse and went on for longer, Id be in some trouble. Our door already doesnt open right, and a few things got knocked down. The xbox we had by the TV managed to take flight for a few feet, but other than that, all is well.

My friend works at the Scolaris on Robb Drive, and he was there when the quake happened. He said it was raining particle board ceiling tiles :shock: They called in 17 employees from all different stores, since there was over 400 broken wine bottles, and the floor was littered with stuff. The ground moved quite a bit there since its all crappy fill, and thats shown by the nice new hump that grew into the center of the floor of Scolaris, rofl! :lol:

Theyve been saying expect a 6.0, so Ive been waiting, and we've got water, canned food, and tons of ammo.

Glad to hear you're ok! We had a few crooked pictures and some things fell off the back of the stove. Other than that just a few rattled nerves, that's all. I hope we cdon't get anything more. I don't have a lot of faith in the monitoring/reporting system since finding that grid pattern glitch and tonight they had a seismologist on the news that just wasn't the shiniest bullet in the box, if you know what I mean!

Loneviking

imported post

Bob, all of us here in Northern Nevada should try to get together for an OC dinner before you leave! I work weekends (hospital, you know?) so weekdays would be best for me---how about you?

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Loneviking wrote:
Bob, all of us here in Northern Nevada should try to get together for an OC dinner before you leave! I work weekends (hospital, you know?) so weekdays would be best for me---how about you?

I am DEFINITELY all for that! I'd like to meet you and everywone else here. I've only met Rains a couple times! This coming Thurs-Fri is bad.

Wow, quiet all day and we just had another quake while writing this. I'll bet a 3.2.

I'll post a notice in the Nevada Forum where I'm moving this thread.