• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Load Up the Pantry

expvideo

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
expvideo,

No, it's not. I suffer from depression andam rated at 70% disabled for it by the VA. So severe it impacts my employability. Any of my doctors would confirm what I say. Death is not an issue with me. In fact, all I am doing now is waiting to die.

But I'll let your statement go because you're just ignorant of the facts. If, however,you evercome here to El Paso contact me and we can have some coffee (well, after June 1st I will have moved to Galveston, TX) and you'll see I mean just what I say...I NEVER BS here. I might joke, but I never BS. And I've had a very "colorful" life to prove it. Good guy/bad guy/soldier in combat/sailor in pecetime/academic...you name it.

Regards,

-- John D.
I owe you an apology. I mistook your post for macho bravado. I was unaware of your condition. Had I known, I would not have been so insensitive to your situation. God bless.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Thank you. No problem.

But lest some people herethink I am an "armed mental case" (psycho RVN vet) -- and therefore dangerous to society (my type of depression is suicidal, not homicidal in nature) -- I am not officially labeled a "mental defective" (so I CAN own firearms) and no decent citizens need be concernedabout me "going postal" on them at a workplace, mall or elsewhere...only criminals should be concerned, and on them I would go, literally, ballistic.

;)

-- John D.

expvideo

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Thank you. No problem.

But lest some people herethink I am an "armed mental case" (psycho RVN vet) -- and therefore dangerous to society (my type of depression is suicidal, not homicidal in nature) -- I am not officially labeled a "mental defective" (so I CAN own firearms) and no decent citizens need be concernedabout me "going postal" on them at a workplace, mall or elsewhere...only criminals should be concerned, and on them I would go, literally, ballistic.

;)

-- John D.
I am not worried about your mental stability. What you do with your body is your business and not mine. That being said, I hope that we will have you with us for a while longer. If I ever make it to the El Paso area, I'll take you up on that coffee, BTW. ;)

bohdi

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
This is just sensationlism. But do not underestimate the panic the liberal media can induce in most of the sheeple.

Be sure to OC when grocery shopping. Lisa has had to scare off approaching illegals in the parking lot at the Giant before, and it will probably get worse.

I suppose it is what you believe that matters. The earth is round :D This article is already 5 years old and I don't generally buy alot into sensationalism.Some things are hard to label as suchwhen you look at where things are today verses 2000.

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/100303_eating_oil.html

packnrat

imported post

best to have a good months worh of food on have at any time.

not a shtf thing...just say you get hurt and can not work for 6 - 8 weeks???

yes some of you out there will still get money comming in...but not all.

and just having extra on hand just makes it easer to get along.

even to the point ...hunny we are out of milk..can you run to the store and get some.

but then the closest store to me is a good 10 miles and NOT 24 hr, that one is 38 miles away. so at $400. a gallon for fuel, i guess the wife gets to drink water.

Sa45auto

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
..... having guns will enable one to relieve the unarmed sh**ple of some of their supplies.....

That would make me one of the bad guys, which I will never be.

I have sufficient for my needs.

expvideo

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
cloudcroft wrote:
True,but you'll need a gun to defend your yard and its produce...

-- John D.
Oh yes. That's why it's priority number one for me.

And the unfortunate truth is that in a worst case scenario, having guns will enable one to relieve the unarmed sh**ple of some of their supplies. As a last resort, though, when it's for the survival of one and one's family. Or is that one of those things we're not supposed to talk about...? :uhoh:

If you see that as the purpose of your gun, you are the reason that I have guns. I will use my guns and my food to protect my family, but not to rob someone else of their provisions. If I need provisions, I will be more than happy to trade, hunt or scavenge whatever is needed. Taking what I need at the point of a gun is not a resort, not even a last one. [/lecture]

Anyway, I went to costco over the weekend and stocked up on enough non-perishable items to get my fiancee and I through a week or so, and made sure it was light enough to put in a backpack if necessary. All items require only water and heat to make:

-16 pack of canned tuna (chunk)
-8 pack of 1.1lbs bagsof spaghetti noodles
-costco sizebox of individually packaged ramen noodles
-costco sizebox of individually packaged Cup Noodle

It can all be packed up quickly, carried lightly, and served individually. You might notice that there is very little protein. The tuna should get us by until I can shoot something, and this is only a week supply of food. I know enough about living off of the land to be pretty established with a food supply within a week. As for water, I have a water purification bottle (portable water purifier, picked it up for $20), which should be able to keep us hydrated with safe water if the SHTF.

I would highly recommend picking a few of these up, since if there ever is a major SHTF situation, water purifiers will be worth their weight in gold for trade value. If you had no running water and everything around you was contaminated, I bet you'd give me some ammo for one of them, wouldn't you ;). They're a lot lighter than ammo.

imperialism2024

imported post

expvideo wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
cloudcroft wrote:
True,but you'll need a gun to defend your yard and its produce...

-- John D.
Oh yes. That's why it's priority number one for me.

And the unfortunate truth is that in a worst case scenario, having guns will enable one to relieve the unarmed sh**ple of some of their supplies. As a last resort, though, when it's for the survival of one and one's family. Or is that one of those things we're not supposed to talk about...? :uhoh:

If you see that as the purpose of your gun, you are the reason that I have guns. I will use my guns and my food to protect my family, but not to rob someone else of their provisions. If I need provisions, I will be more than happy to trade, hunt or scavenge whatever is needed. Taking what I need at the point of a gun is not a resort, not even a last one. [/lecture]
Jeez, I didn't say I'd do that. I just put it out there as an option. But kind of like most people don't know how they'll react in a gunfight until they've been in one, we can talk and talk all we want about our moral principles now, but desperation may alter them a bit if we're watching the youngest and oldest of our loved ones literally starving to death, and there's no other way to get food.

Fortunately, most foreseeable disasters would still keep some semblence of social structure, and trading and hard work would enable one to provide for one's family. But TEOTWAWKI might not be quite so pleasant, and some may not adhere to their moral principles as closely as they now hope they would, when it comes down to it.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

expvideo wrote:
Ramen and cup o noodle IMHO are more than useless. Quick starch and some fats, coupled with high sodium content... Too much water involved in their preparation. I would rather eat a couple tablespoons of peanut butter instead of a ramen packet.

Now here in Western Washington water isn't a huge deal, but I like my emergency foods to require as little water as possible unless I've got an ample supply.

Since I live on my boat, my meal planning is a bit different as I can most likely flee a given situation and have my home with me...

If you are planning backpack foods, I favor dried fruits (unsulphered), peanut butter, canned meat, a few freeze dried dishes, granola, lots of whole grains, nuts, whole wheat flour and cornmeal. Most of this can be eaten with no preparation. Also a good knowledge of edible plants are in order. It's nice to try and take down a deer, but sometimes all you can scare up are some greens and roots. Take some seaonings with you as well, some salt, pepper, garlic. They are lightweight and don't take up much space. I drink tea, so I pack some good black teas, and maybe a little bit of herbal tea. Tea is good as you can take a tea bag and make a hot fortifing drink quickly and easily....

Tomahawk

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
expvideo wrote:
Ramen and cup o noodle IMHO are more than useless. Quick starch and some fats, coupled with high sodium content... Too much water involved in their preparation. I would rather eat a couple tablespoons of peanut butter instead of a ramen packet.

Now here in Western Washington water isn't a huge deal, but I like my emergency foods to require as little water as possible unless I've got an ample supply.

Since I live on my boat, my meal planning is a bit different as I can most likely flee a given situation and have my home with me...

If you are planning backpack foods, I favor dried fruits (unsulphered), peanut butter, canned meat, a few freeze dried dishes, granola, lots of whole grains, nuts, whole wheat flour and cornmeal. Most of this can be eaten with no preparation. Also a good knowledge of edible plants are in order. It's nice to try and take down a deer, but sometimes all you can scare up are some greens and roots. Take some seaonings with you as well, some salt, pepper, garlic. They are lightweight and don't take up much space. I drink tea, so I pack some good black teas, and maybe a little bit of herbal tea. Tea is good as you can take a tea bag and make a hot fortifing drink quickly and easily....

I wish I could live on a boat...making a getaway down the Potomac to the CHesapeake Bay has an appeal to it.

expvideo

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Yes, water and heat shouldn't be taken for granted. Especially heat.

I'm a human being and a former boy scout. Man make fire. Fire make heat. I'll take heat for granted, thank you very much.

Also, I live in Western Washington. If there is anything I can take for granted, it's water ;)

Michigander

imported post

You need wood or some sustained fuel for fire. If you aren't in the woods, or well stocked with wood or gas, it isn't going to happen. A solar panel, some golf cart batteries, and a good electric space heater will do a lot. So will having a good sleeping bag/blankets.

Water depends on where you are. Around here, when the blackout happened, folks who had emergency water rations were all set. Folks who didn't had to go to the store and buy some, and they could only go to the stores with generators. Those who live away from yuppie hell tend to have wells, so for them it's a moot point.

expvideo

imported post

Michigander wrote:
You need wood or some sustained fuel for fire. If you aren't in the woods, or well stocked with wood or gas, it isn't going to happen. A solar panel, some golf cart batteries, and a good electric space heater will do a lot. So will having a good sleeping bag/blankets.

Water depends on where you are. Around here, when the blackout happened, folks who had emergency water rations were all set. Folks who didn't had to go to the store and buy some, and they could only go to the stores with generators. Those who live away from yuppie hell tend to have wells, so for them it's a moot point.
Again, Washington resident here. Plenty of wood, plenty of water. And a water purification system is a lot lighter to pack around than jugs of water.

Sleepless

imported post

I am a Mormon and a Ham Radio Operator and as a Mormon we have to have a whole year supply of food stashed away in case of an emergency and as a Ham Radio Operator I am soon gonna be equipped with both generators, solar panels, items to convert wind power to electricity, 72 hour kit and both a mobile and a base Ham Radio Station for emergency communication and I already have a handheld for local communication.

Any ideas of anything else I might need to get or stockpile is very welcome because you can never be too prepared. :)

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a walk in closet I converted to a food pantry and weapons cache storing food is a never ending duty

buy what you eat, Rotate, If you buy food you have in you stored then rotate it eat the old stuff, make that a habit and it will never go bad