• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Thanks to All of You, From Me

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Last week, I went out to Spokane to a convention, and when I went out here I happened to attend the Spokane OC meetup over at Steelhead Grill.

Near the end, I had Dave The Welder come up to me outside and tell me something along these words.

"You are the reason why I open carry without hesitation now. You've been so open about so many things in your life in posting on the forum, that you'd never hide who you are, whether it be a gun owner or a gay man, is the reason I do so today."

It took a few minutes for those words to sink in, and to quell the ego. :what:

A lot of folk here, as far as I have seen, look up to me. I try to be very humble but sometimes it's pretty difficult due to the praising.

I do however have one thing to say to all of you.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

When my endeavor started three years ago, I never expected it to all occur this way. I honestly did not know if I could turn the tide originally.

At the beginning, it was a pretty lonely battle. However, what occurred afterwards is a variant from "Field of Dreams": If you build it, they will come. Well, they did, in droves.

There's a few specific people I want to thank:

Mike Stollenwork and John Pierce for creating opencarry.org in the first place. We simply would not have had any sort of forward movement on open carry in Washington without the website.

Jim March (of equalccw.com) who led the fight for equal CCW issuance in California before moving here and being probably the reason we made so much headway. He was the person who pointed out the possible link between the hated 9.41.270 and the Black Panthers, which gave us the evidence we need to prove that peaceable open carry was completely lawful. March provided the historical reference that led to the breakthrough, and simply enough, without him, we would not be where we are today.

44Brent for giving me the original out of town perspective as an open carrier in many states.

Both Joe Waldron and Dave Workman, the "official gun lobbyists" in Washington State, for giving me the recent legal and political background. They generally gave me guidance on how to approach the PD's. I believe it was one of them who originally told me that the departments really needed to train their officers on this subject. This is where the training bulletin idea came from.

Last but not least, the rest of you on this forum, with NWCDL, and other associated organizations who have pushed us this far, and brought open carry back from the brink in this state, from brutally suppressed by all urban law enforcement to now even Seattle PD knowing that it's legal. Without you following the example, it would have made my efforts for naught. Thank you all!

:celebrate:monkey

Stealth Potato

imported post

And thank YOU for your tireless efforts, and your assistance to so many of us in dealing with reticent law enforcement agencies. :)

I must say, it really is cool how much we've managed to accomplish.

Mainsail

imported post

Well, I want to step up and thank Lonnie for all his help in bringing Tacoma around. For the new folks here who may not have gone that far back in the forums, I was accosted by a very hostile TPD officer for open carry. He threatened to seize my firearm if he ever saw me carrying openly again, even going so far as to say he would respond even if he wasn’t the officer dispatched to the call and seize my firearm. He not only told me lies, he lied in a written statement to his sergeant, and more shamefully, compelled his partner to lie as well. Thanks to Lonnie and Dave Workman, the situation was corrected and TPD is more accepting of OC.

So thanks Lonnie for all your hard work in ensuring the rights of Washingtonians are not lost from neglect.

Ajetpilot

imported post

I started open carrying as a result of Mainsail's problems with TPD, and I haven't missed a day since. So, indirectly, I've been influenced by Lonnie's efforts, and I've never even met him. The algebraic growth of this movement is amazing. Watching so many people become activists in this movement is truly awe inspiring.

Edit: Typo.

surfj9009

imported post

Lonnie, It truly was an honor to have lunch with you this past weekend. Thank you again for your continuing efforts. I am fairly new to OC, so I get the benefit of coming into it after you and the other trailblazers have done all the hard work.

Anytime you come back to Spokane, let me know and we will have to have lunch again.

John Henry

imported post

Thank you Lonnie! Hopefully one of these days I get to one of the OC meetings.

just_a_car

imported post

Lonnie, I know you're one of the reasons I decided to go for OC. It was your knowledge and perseverance on the subject that helped solidify my stance on it.

I only hope that I can repay all the great things I've garnered from this board at least on par, if not moreso.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lonnie Wilson

So it would appear you have created quite an extended family along the way. Thanks for being a rock and leading they way.

Mike

Tomahawk

imported post

Hail to Lonnie from the East Coast. I love how over the last year the forums of the northwestern states have exploded and OCDO is no longer an all-Virginia show. Good to know that when I finally get out there to see that part of the country I'll be in friendly territory, thanks to guys like you.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Well it was all the stuff going on here that inspired me to start up OCing as well, and also gave me the willingness to go head to head with OPD on OC issues... Thanks to everyone who came ahead of me!

Gene Beasley

imported post

Lonnie,

If it hadn't been for you correcting my observation on the Wikipedia discussion page of OC, I would never have started OC'ing outside the house. Now it's my preferred method - if this global warming would just kick in :).It's great to see all of the seeds taking root in the hard ground that you broke. Thanks Lonnie.

uncoolperson

imported post

thanks for putting up the local fight, even when i failed to provide you with all the information i could have.

i have to say, knowing that people like you have my back gives a little extra courage to something i'm still way shy with.

someday i'll oc more, but until then i'm just happy to know i have my pistol.... i wanna start showin off the shark skin pancake!

I've been sending anyone with any firearm law question here... this group covers the depth with a degree of casual profesionlism that could only be match at $200 an hour. and i attribute much of that to your insight into problems, or ability to find an answer or solution.

G27

imported post

When there is a dispute one only has to wait for Mr. Lonnie Wilson to post his reply, which is almost never challenged. He is the final and most definite answer on many a questions. Not that I want to make your ego even bigger, but you really have done a lot of the State of Washington in regards to the subject of open carrying. The amount of people that this site has gained, even from when I joined, has grown substantially. Thank you Lonnie, and thank you everyone that open carries. It is the people that carrying that really are the one s leading this cause.

okkid

imported post

Well I dont say a lot here but I want to say THANK YOU SIR!

And all you as I read a lot on here just dont talk a lot.

joeroket

imported post

The thanks goes to you Lonnie. The one time we met and had lunch in Lynwood was a pleasure and I hope to run into you again at another lunch, that is when I actually make it to one.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Lonnie you are hereby awarded the "I Am Legend" medal in category, Public Service in Civil Rights - Pacific Northwest. I was brought to OC by this site and the professionalism and effectiveness of several posters, including you.