• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Harrisonville ?

hogleg

imported post

I have an all day event in the Park in Harrisonville in a few weeks. Anyone know what the rules regarding OC in town as well as the Park? Imagine the park could be more of a problem than around town.

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here is the code I found

SECTION 215.250: WEAPONS -- CARRYING CONCEALED -- OTHER UNLAWFUL USE
A. A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons if he/she knowingly:

1. Carries concealed upon or about his/her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;

2. Sets a spring gun;

3. Discharges or shoots a firearm;

4. Exhibits, in the presence of one (1) or more persons, any weapon readily capable of lethal use in an angry or threatening manner;

5. Possesses a firearm or projectile weapon while intoxicated;

6. Carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;

7. Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.

[url]http://codes.sullivanpublications.com/harrisonville-slp/[/url]

I would, but wouldnt chamber a round. but the more seasoned guy could give you better advice I just got the code

hogleg

imported post

Hmm...Thanks for the info. looked online for it but must not have typed inthe right text.

Not sure about this one."Carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;" That kind of sounds like a big fat NO. Unless I am carrying an empty gun.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here's an interesting tidbit. If you have a CCW, you are exempted from A(6).
"D. Subparagraphs (1), (6) and (7) of Subsection (A) of this Section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to Sections 571.101 to 571.121, RSMo., or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another State or political subdivision of another State."

There is nothing else I can find in the ordinance that specifically denies OC and the exemption for CCW holders does not specify that the exemption only applies when CC.

Contrast this with the Cape Girardeau statute that has been upheld in the MO Supreme Court as prohibiting OC:
(a)A person commits the offense of unlawful possession or use of weapons if he knowingly:
(5)Openly carries a firearm readily capable of lethal use.

I would say that the common language reading of the statute says that if you have a CCW you can carry a firearm readily capable of lethal use however you want. And that I would have my CCW and a copy of the statute ready to present if any LEO questioned me about it. If nothing else it would show that you took the time to research the matter and are doing your due diligence and making your best effort to follow the law.

That being said, IANAL and I am not in a position to pay for your atty if the PD, city or court disagrees with my opinion.

Article1section23

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Here's an interesting tidbit.
There is nothing else I can find in the ordinance that specifically denies OC and the exemption for CCW holders does not specify that the exemption only applies when CC.

Contrast this with the Cape Girardeau statute that has been upheld in the MO Supreme Court as prohibiting OC:
(a)A person commits the offense of unlawful possession or use of weapons if he knowingly:

Deepdiver,

Joyce wasn't taken by the MOSC, so that unlawful ordinance was upheld by the liberal eastern district. Just want us all on the same page.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Shawn wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Here's an interesting tidbit.

Deepdiver,

Joyce wasn't taken by the MOSC, so that unlawful ordinance was upheld by the liberal eastern district. Just want us all on the same page.
My bad. Thank you for the correction. I need to look at the case again obviously to refresh my memory.