• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is Trespasssing on a State University?

VApatriot

imported post

I might be a little bit late with this question, but whencan Ibe considered to be trespassing on the campus of a state funded college or university?

I will be in Blacksburg tomorrow morning for a change of command ceremony for the Virginia Tech Corp of Cadets.At this time I am planning to open carry while there. I know thatI am well within my legal rights to carry on the campus, but I am just a little bit concerned that I might be asked to leave or put my firearm in the car or something like that. If so,and I were torefuse to do so (which I would), couldI legally be forced to leave or face a trespassing charge?

The event will be held on the drill field and is fullyopen to families and tothe public. My basic understanding of the simple points of the lawis that I could refuse to leave and that should be the end of it, so long as I am not braking any laws or activelycreating some sort ofpublicdisturbance. However, I just want to see if there areany otheropinions or citations of law or case-law that say otherwise.

mpg9999

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
I might be a little bit late with this question, but whencan Ibe considered to be trespassing on the campus of a state funded college or university?

I will be in Blacksburg tomorrow morning for a change of command ceremony for the Virginia Tech Corp of Cadets.At this time I am planning to open carry while there. I know thatI am well within my legal rights to carry on the campus, but I am just a little bit concerned that I might be asked to leave or put my firearm in the car or something like that. If so,and I were torefuse to do so (which I would), couldI legally be forced to leave or face a trespassing charge?

The event will be held on the drill field and is fullyopen to families and tothe public. My basic understanding of the simple points of the lawis that I could refuse to leave and that should be the end of it, so long as I am not braking any laws or activelycreating some sort ofpublicdisturbance. However, I just want to see if there areany otheropinions or citations of law or case-law that say otherwise.
If I'm finished at the shooting range in time, maybe ill stop by to watch and see what happens.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

One has to wonder how VT could ask you to leave under the threat of trespassing. VT is a state university which I would think, infers that it cannot discriminate against someone's civil rights. Well the last time I looked, the Second Amendment was most assuredly a fundamental civil right.. not like some invented ones such as affirmative aciton of miniority preferences, whatever the hell they might be.

dixiehacker

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
One has to wonder how VT could ask you to leave under the threat of trespassing. VT is a state university which I would think, infers that it cannot discriminate against someone's civil rights. Well the last time I looked, the Second Amendment was most assuredly a fundamental civil right.. not like some invented ones such as affirmative aciton of miniority preferences, whatever the hell they might be.

I can tell you exactly how someone at VT could ask a gun owner to leave. Some anti-gunner goes on a binge of self-righteous indignation and summons up the courage to go up to said gun owner, and tell him to leave.

VApatriot

imported post

Well, I did it. My older brother and myself both OCed on the campus of Virginia Tech. We walk about halfway across campus from where we parked to the drill field; we watched the ceremony, and then we walked back. That was all there was to it. No one said anything to us and the campus police didn't show up, so I would like to think that no one was really scared or offended by it. Hopefully we might have even changed a fewpeoplesmisconceptionsabout young people with firearms at colleges.

VApatriot

imported post

It seemed to me that at least a couple people did for surenotice, but noonesaid anything to us directly, and I didn't notice any pointing or whispering either. There might have been some, but none that I could see or hear.