• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

moving to wyoming

mdguy90

imported post

Save you all the boring details, I'm a new poster to this forum. My family may possibly be moving from MD to wyoming and I had a couple questions I'm hoping you guys can answer

1. Is there a waiting period on handgun purchases?

2. can stripped lowers and other "assault weapon" stuff, like AK's and SKS's be bought at 18?(they cant here in MD)

3. So in wyoming, I do not need a permit at all to OC, no proof of completing a class or anything? I'd love to do that as soon as i get there, but I'm still amazed that that would be possible (sorry coming from MD where its hard to even purchase guns) without some kind of license or anything

any answers are greatly appreciated!

shoot safe,

mdguy

Manka Cat

imported post

MDguy

I live in Cody, Wyoming, have for six years.

There is no waiting period on guns, only the regular call to Washington DC. If you purchase from a private seller, no check or record is required at all.

You can buy any type of firearm other than handguns at 18. I purchased my SKS at 18.

You do not need any form of permission to open carry a firearm. There is no age limit. If you legally own the gun, you can carry it. And remember, you can legally own a handgun at 18. You just can't buy one from a federally licensed dealer. Anyone who is trying to sell a handgun privately can sell to anyone 18 and older. The ONLY limit here, is that you cannot sell to someone you know is a felon.

I open carry everywhere, starting at 21 years to the day. (I had a gun picked out at a licensed dealer). I now own two handguns, and one of them was purchased privately. A few days ago, I let my friend borrow my second gun, (he is 19) and we open-carried all over Cody.

If you have anymore questions, you can send me a message and I will try to answer. Let me know where in WY you are moving. And remember, you are not doing anything wrong by OCing legally. Always be respectful, always be safe, and always be informed. Don't let anyone make you feel like you are doing something wrong if it isn't illegal. Your choices are yours. No one has the right to take them from you, or to make you justify your choices.

Good luck, and welcome to the site. I got my confidence to OC and the answers I needed from this site. Everyone is great!

Hope to see you around someday.

mdguy90

imported post

manka cat,

Thanks for the answers on all my questions, I really appreciate them.

If you could straighten up one more thing that would be great. you said:

" If you legally own the gun, you can carry it"

Now I'm 17, turning 18 in december. While I know that Wyoming has no age limit for carrying, you said that if I legally own the firearm I can carry it. I was planning on my father purchasing it and letting me use it.

You said that you let your friend carry one of yours, but since he doesnt legally own it, thats where it gets confusing.

would I need a note from my parents or something?

I hope my age doesnt have anyone turn their noses up at me, I have taken hunter safety and plan on taking some NRA courses in due time, when funds allow it, Im also in 4H...

jbowers24

imported post

Most of your questions got answered, but one thing to add. You'll need to have a state issued ID to buy a gun here. Can't just buy the day you show up (not from a shop anyway).

From what I understand, you'll be fine to carry a pistol you aren't otherwise forbidden to carry (crimal background, etc).

People here are open minded, age shouldn't be an issue.

Manka Cat

imported post

Sorry if my wording was poor. I guess what I meant was if you CAN legally own a gun, you can carry one, meaning no felonies, domestic iolence, restraining orders, etc. You should have no problem carrying a gun, though being under 18 is a little confusing, I never thought about it. I would recommend looking a little closer at the laws first. You should be ok, but you don't want to get in trouble. You could call a PD in Wyoming, where you plan to live, but keep in mind that LEOs are often wrong on gun laws. If you don't like the answers you get, call another station. When you get here, go to a station in person and have an officer show you the law in a book. Don't let any one source tell you you can't do something.

mdguy90

imported post

Thanks for the info. I guess it would be smart to keep a little book of the laws with me if I get up there soon.

BTW id be moving to Jackson, wyoming.

Manka Cat

imported post

Jackson is a nice area, very pretty since its right by the Tetons. Very expensive though. Cost of living much higher than some other towns of the same size, like Cody, or even Riverton.

mdguy90

imported post

it would be nice to live there, i know its expensive but quotes on car insurance are less then half up there then back here in baltimore city....thats one thing to look forward to

Huck

imported post

Welcome to God's country mdguy! I moved here from the People's Republik of Kalifornia 2 1/2 years ago after I retiredand I cant think of a better place to live. :)

mdguy90

imported post

I hear you there, coulda had a full ride to stanford but i turned it down because i couldnt even carry a pocket knife around over there

Im hoping if it works out to be out in jackson late june or early july, stuff keeps getting pushed back :X

what do you guys carry over there? any animal problems i should worry about?

Manka Cat

imported post

I carry a Glock 23 .40 cal. In town you won't see much more than an occasional group of dear, but out of town (which is 90% of the state) you can run into bears, snakes, and every now and then a cougar or bobcat. If I am hiking or anything like that I carry regular hollow points (which is what I pack in town, though I am considering carrying FMJ with 4 hollows in the top of the mag) but I have a back up magazine in my pocket full of snake shot. This is really good stuff to have against snakes or small animals, as it basically turns your pistol into a tiny shotgun. Keeps you from having to worry about accuracy in a snake situation. (I hike with my 9 pound dog. If he gets bit by a raddler he doesn't have much chance. I'd rather kill the snake if I can't get around it nice and wide.)

I chose the .40 because a .45 is a little heavy unless you get a compact, and then you sacrifice rounds. a nine doesn't have quite enough power in my opinion. Plus, with the .40, I at least a fools hope of stopping a couger. Really no hope against a bear though. I want to buy a .44 mag or something like that for hiking, even if I'll only get 5-6 shots. I also want to purchase a .38 for additional concealed carry in an ankle holster as a back up.

wayneborngesser

imported post

I carry a Springfield XD .45 compact, first round is a CCI shotshell, for the snakes that are here, the rest is hardball,(10rds, plus a full 13 in spare mag in pocket), just in case the Mountain Lion get's brave, or I start smelling like food to the coyotes. Nice simple Don Hume OWB on a standard 1.5" belt, don't even feel it. Originally from WI, lived in PA for way too long, next to Trenton, NJ, the "Armpit of the East". Now residing right outside of Newcastle, LOVE WY!

mdguy90

imported post

you guys really carry fmj hardball? that stuff seems more like practice fodder then self defense ammo

but i guess if the bigger problem out there is animals and not people then youd want something that wont stop on the fur and skin

always thought JHP would be best :?

wayneborngesser

imported post

Carry hardball, because less worried about people, and being able to penetrate deeply with large caliber has historically been superior strategy. Sadly, we proved that in the Phillipines, on human combatants at the turn of the century. .45 hardball, when I tested it, went through a 6x6 post at close range, that ought to stop kitty, might even go lengthwise through him. Same with a coyote or wolf. We lived without expanding bullets for a Loooooooooong time. Could it just be marketing? And there are so few people, especially the criminal kind, that you don't worry as much about over-penetration, and the lawyer's, etc. JMHO and of course: YMMV:p

PS Lots of fancy hollowpoints clog up with clothing, etc, and become hardball, hence wanting something that starts with a "4" as your carry gun, plus more in the shotshell than 9's and .38's An added bonus, if you should run into a "lawyer", is that you can claim you didn't have "killer hollowpoints, or dum-dums" and, since you where smart enough to use a caliber above the magic "4" hopefully your assailant will not be there to argue with you. Civil suits bankrupt folks.:quirky

Hanzerik

imported post

I agree; most of the time you won't run into other people when out and about in the mountains or prairie. And if you do they are probably just out enjoying the outdoors. I don't think very many "bad guys" willingly hang out in the wilderness spots of Wyoming.

Huck

imported post

mdguy90 wrote:
you guys really carry fmj hardball? that stuff seems more like practice fodder then self defense ammo

but i guess if the bigger problem out there is animals and not people then youd want something that wont stop on the fur and skin

always thought JHP would be best :?

In my Ruger GP-100 I load it with either .38FMJ, because of better penetration thanJSP or JHP,or .357 mag JSP. .357 mag has great penetration no matter what type of bullet you use.

Manka, I thought packing a pistol chambered for.454 Casull would be sweet for hiking too but the recoil is insane. I've pretty much retired my Ruger Alaskan for that reason though it does shoot sweet when loaded with .45 Colt.

mdguy90

imported post

its been awhile but had a couple more ??'s

whats the legality of OCing long arms? wont have a handgun as soon as i get out there, but still have my RRA :D

also has anyone seen or heard of Jack dennis sporting goods, if so hows the place look? whats the prices like?

will be out there soon, looks like mid july to early august, can't wait

stormme56

imported post

Just my 2 cents... I spend quite a bit of my summer time up near the Big Horn wilderness area...

I carry the older version of the Ruger "Vaquero"... the .45 colt version....

With 240 grain jacketed bullets and a 1100 fps load... it is not to be overlooked. I load my own... :cool:

I DO carry open...except where it is absolutly forbidden (federal places, hosp. and so on)...

If you are going to live in Jackson... GREAT!!! You are in the middle of some of the best fishing areas in the world!!! (beware of bears, and carry a big stick).

Wyoming firearm laws are easy to find, and quite liberal... We believe in the right to bear arms...

Around this state, you might need to. (cougars, bears, wolfs, and so on.) (no sweat). Enjoy Wyoming...

Motto: "I can shoot better mad, than crooks can run scared"

mdguy90

imported post

just wanted to say i flew in last week, took the AR and my mossberg to granite creek to shoot around...thats the closest Ive done to open carry

getting a handgun here, everything is a bit more expensive, but found a deal on a stainless springfield GI for $550, will hopefully picking that up in the near future