• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Defense from self I mean self defense

randont

imported post

So, I was out rabbit hunting. I'm an eagle scout. And I was about 3 miles from my neighborhood which was on the outskirts of town. I had my dads lever action .22 having a good ole' time shooting anything and everything. I was about 11 at the time. I stopped to look around and I rested the barrel on my foot. The problem is that I had one chambered and the hammer back. So I figured the smart thing to do was to uncock the hammer while it was on my foot. I know your thinking what an idiot. Well truth is I wasn't thinking at all actually. As I go to release the hammer a voice in my head said "raise the barrel" so I raised it a few inches till it was pointed at the ground and not my foot. I then let the hammer down slowly so it wouldn't go off and BAM it slipped from my thumb as I let it down. My point is sometimes you've got to self defend against yourself if that makes any sense. Oh, did I mention I'm an eagle scout?:banghead::cuss:

protector84

imported post

That is why it is so important to always keep the gun in a safe direction. That way if it does go off, nobody will be injured or killed. No matter how used to firearms a person may be, it is always good to follow this safety habit. Because there could always be that one time where you just happened to forget that the gun was loaded or chambered even though you had thought you had checked already.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

Me and my girlfriends mom stayed up late one night sharing stories and watching TV (wierd, I know) and I had my xd, in it's holster on the end table, and it was pointed in her general direction. She politely asked me to point it towards the middle of the room. It was one of those things I didn't even notice, because when I sat down, she wasn't in the chair, so it was originally poitned in a safe direction, but not after she sat down. Just goes to prove you should always be aware, and train yourself to notice things like that even if nobody is touching the gun, and it's holstered.

Tomahawk

imported post

It's one of the reasons I dislike horizontal shoulder holsters, especially when OC'd. The muzzle points at whoever is behind you, whether you're standing in line at a checkout counter or sitting in a restaurant. You can argue that's it's safe, butI don't think it'scourteous.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

The same goes for horisontal small of the back holsters, whoever is to your left side (or right, if you'rea lefty)is going to be very nervous if they notice it. I'd rather keep mine pointing at the ground.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When OC I won't carry a holster that points any direction but down. For those people who are already tense about it, it makes it worse. Making those who are not tense about it tense because of my type of holster is a double loss.

CC not so worried. I have safe pistols that are not just going to go off on their own riding in a decent holster. I am still looking for a shoulder holster and will probably end up with a horizontal carry for some CC purposes.