• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

States with the most CC reciprocity

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I posted this in another thread on OCDO, in answer to an OT question. As I think that many people might find this interesting and being that I actually spent a lot more time researching this than I intended, I decided to post the info where more people might see it.

According to handgunlaw.us (and assuming that I didn't miscount EDIT: I did and have made appropriate corrections) the states with the most CC reciprocity for a resident permit holder (number of states includes the issuing state):

Valid in 36 states:*
Michigan

Valid in 35 states:
Missouri (missing WY)
Tennessee (missing WA)

Valid in 34 states:
Alaska (missing WA, WV)

Valid in 33 states
Arizona (missing MN, NV, WA)
Arkansas (missing NM, WA, WY)
Florida (missing MN, SC, WA)
Kentucky (missing NV, SC, WA)
North Carolina (missing MN, NV, WY)
Oklahoma (missing NV, SC, WV)
Utah (missing KS, SC, WV)

*There are 14 states and DC that do not recognize any other state permits. Therefore the most states any state permit/license can allow carry in is 36. Those 14 non-reciprocating states cannot reach 36 states because some of those 36 states require that reciprocity is mutual.
**Of states that have reciprocity, WA shares reciprocity with the fewest states @ 8, followed by NV @ 9.

ETA: Florida to 33 state carry
Edited to update MO and number of states with which WA shares reciprocity
Edited to update MI to 36 state reciprocity

Sheldon

imported post

Yep Nv is pending good ol Mike Cox. but word has it that he is planning on running against Grandstand next cycle.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Missouri recently got reciprocity with WA moving it up to the 34 state list. I'm emailing the attorney general to try to find out what the hold up is with WY and if reciprocity is in the works.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

asforme wrote:
For those who don't know, this map is awesome. Just click where you have or want to have permits and you get a map of where you're covered.

http://www.carryconcealed.net/legal/reciprocity.php
I have visited that site and have found that there is an error on the MO map and it is not current while www.handgunlaw.us is current and correct, which is why I tend to stick with handgunlaw.us for CC info.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
asforme wrote:
For those who don't know, this map is awesome. Just click where you have or want to have permits and you get a map of where you're covered.

http://www.carryconcealed.net/legal/reciprocity.php
I have visited that site and have found that there is an error on the MO map and it is not current while http://www.handgunlaw.us is current and correct, which is why I tend to stick with handgunlaw.us for CC info.
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know it was out of date. I just knew it was shinier. Oooooo Shineeeeeeey.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Sheldon wrote:
Yep Nv is pending good ol Mike Cox. but word has it that he is planning on running against Grandstand next cycle.

Per MCRGO:

Reciprocity Update: Michigan CPL recognized by Nevada
2008/05/27

In accordance with Senate Bill 237 passed by the 2007 Nevada Legislature the State of Nevada will recognize the following States' CCW permit holders:

Alaska
Arkansas
Florida (added January 3, 2008)
Kansas
Louisiana
Michigan (added May 9, 2008)
Missouri
Nebraska
Tennessee
Utah

This law allows holders of valid permits from these states to carry a concealed weapon while in the State of Nevada. The permit must be in the possession of the issuee at all times while carrying a firearm ... source

Sheldon

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

Per MCRGO:

Reciprocity Update: Michigan CPL recognized by Nevada
2008/05/27

In accordance with Senate Bill 237 passed by the 2007 Nevada Legislature the State of Nevada will recognize the following States' CCW permit holders:

Alaska
Arkansas
Florida (added January 3, 2008)
Kansas
Louisiana
Michigan (added May 9, 2008)
Missouri
Nebraska
Tennessee
Utah

This law allows holders of valid permits from these states to carry a concealed weapon while in the State of Nevada. The permit must be in the possession of the issuee at all times while carrying a firearm ... source

When I posted "Nevada!" on a different forum I got into a huge argument with some know it all lawyer WTB about NV law and how messed up it is, they have a group of police chiefs that decidehow the lawis interpretedWRT firearms OC CCW and reciprocity.

It would seem that NV will "recognize the other state permits, but not grant "reciprocity"

MY pointwas you cannot have one without the other, N if the state AG says it is then it is and it is not what the police chiefs ass says.

Further that his police chiefs ass that he put so much stock in can neither make or decide law but can only have opinions that will not hold up in a court of law and opens them up for a law suit should it ever come to that.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Congratulations to MI for becoming the first state to have reciprocity in all 36 states that allow reciprocity for concealed carry!

I wrote to the MO AG about WY reciprocity to get us to 36 states as well. I received a quick and thorough response from a quite nice assistant AG as to the hold-up. Here's the pertinent part of the response from the assistant-AG:

"Here's the deal on Wyoming: they say if you've got a misdemeanor drug or alcohol offense, you're forever barred from getting a CCW license. In Missouri, we say if you have two or more such offenses in the last five years, you can't get CCW. Wyoming has told us that this is a difference that they can't live with and so won't recognize our CCW endorsement. I've tried calling them every few months just to make a case again, but they haven't budged. I also tried upon a change in Attorney General up there, hoping that he may view our laws (and especially MO's training) as sufficient. No go. I will continue trying every few months, but I have a feeling that we're going to continue to get the same response."

Sheldon

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Congratulations to MI for becoming the first state to have reciprocity in all 35 states that allow reciprocity for concealed carry!

I wrote to the MO AG about WY reciprocity to get us to 35 states as well. I received a quick and thorough response from a quite nice assistant AG as to the hold-up. Here's the pertinent part of the response from the assistant-AG:

"Here's the deal on Wyoming: they say if you've got a misdemeanor drug or alcohol offense, you're forever barred from getting a CCW license. In Missouri, we say if you have two or more such offenses in the last five years, you can't get CCW. Wyoming has told us that this is a difference that they can't live with and so won't recognize our CCW endorsement. I've tried calling them every few months just to make a case again, but they haven't budged. I also tried upon a change in Attorney General up there, hoping that he may view our laws (and especially MO's training) as sufficient. No go. I will continue trying every few months, but I have a feeling that we're going to continue to get the same response."

Click on Mi... http://www.usacarry.com/index.php/state-resources-mainmenu-42/interactive-permit-map-mainmenu-50.html aren"t all those blue N yellow states nice...

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sheldon wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Congratulations to MI for becoming the first state to have reciprocity in all 35 states that allow reciprocity for concealed carry!

I wrote to the MO AG about WY reciprocity to get us to 35 states as well. I received a quick and thorough response from a quite nice assistant AG as to the hold-up. Here's the pertinent part of the response from the assistant-AG:

Click on Mi... http://www.usacarry.com/index.php/state-resources-mainmenu-42/interactive-permit-map-mainmenu-50.html aren"t all those blue N yellow states nice...
That is nice. MO residents are fortunate in one regard. The only reciprocity available state we don't have reciprocity with is WY which is a gold star open carry state so at least we can carry and defend ourselves and loved ones in all 36.

Gunslinger

imported post

I think CO will get it with VA, NV, NEand OH in the near future. I see we have it with DE. SC, for a pro gun state, is wacko with their reciprocity list. I can't understand them.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
I think CO will get it with VA, NV, NEand OH in the near future. I see we have it with DE. SC, for a pro gun state, is wacko with their reciprocity list. I can't understand them.
You've got a few problems. NE has no reciprocity law. NV & VA require a state to have a centralized database of permits through which any permit can be instantaneously verified 24/7. OH requires a state to sign a formal, written reciprocity agreement--something CO officials claim they cannot do despite the provision in CO law automatically recognizing the resident permits of states that recognize CO permits. Although you did not list us, WV law requires both 24/7 instant verification and a formal, written agreement; I am working to change that but that is our law for now.

Gunslinger

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
You've got a few problems. NE has no reciprocity law. NV & VA require a state to have a centralized database of permits through which any permit can be instantaneously verified 24/7. OH requires a state to sign a formal, written reciprocity agreement--something CO officials claim they cannot do despite the provision in CO law automatically recognizing the resident permits of states that recognize CO permits. Although you did not list us, WV law requires both 24/7 instant verification and a formal, written agreement; I am working to change that but that is our law for now.
There are bills in NE to formalize reciprocity. If they pass, CO would be on the list. VA is a funny state. I had a CC permit there, very easy to get if former military, and they do have the license check red light that goes off if you have one. But a friend in the State House said they may be lightening up on reciprocity agreements--under pressure, as you appear to be doing in WV. NV, I've heard, has a bill to ease up, as well. Of course, most die before they get read on the floor. Still, I was surprised that my NH permit was honored inCO, but not my VA when I first got here. NH has zero strings attached to either res or non res, and VA did prints, training (waived if former military) etc--just like CO. What we need is a Federal regulation that all states have to abide by. Of course, if dipshit obama gets in, we'll have bigger problems than that to deal with.

Sleepless

imported post

Thanks for the info deepdiver, I have one question though and that is:

How many and which one of the states allow Canadians to apply and be granted non-resident permits seeing as Utah withdrew theirs over a year ago due to the fact that they couldn't verify with the police in the specific province/territory if the person in question has a order of protection/restraining order against them or not.

Because I see on both concealedcarry and handgunlaw's websites that they only talk about resident and non-resident permits of US Citizens, but seeing that a lot of Canadians come to the US for various reasons and some might be interested in carrying concealed where allowed, which state or states should we turn to??

Thanks in advance.