• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC in Ellensburg

Izzle

imported post

Hey just wanted to share my first OC experience with everyone. I live and go to school in Ellensburg (CWU) and got my first pistol about 2 weeks ago so it was about time to take it out. Well i ended up going with a couple friends to a bonfire at their apartment complex and had quite a few people ask me the "is that a real gun?" and "why do you carry gun?" I would say i got pretty positive results, after explaining it to three different people and three different times they were very interested and ended up shaking my hand and were actually happy that i was exercising my right to carry. I also made sure to carry the pamphlet and the police bulletins with me that night so i could show people that it is in fact legal which one of the guys asked to keep! Then of course there were two other people that weren't as "accepting" of it. There were two women who asked why i carried and I respondedwith "for protection" they both laughed and didn't really go along with the
whole idea. Overall i think it was a positive night and i hope i educated a large group of people about the rights they have. Also if made me chuckle at the end of the night i was standing out in front of the complex talking on my cell phone and two guys walk past me and both notice my weapon saying something to each other as they pass me. They ended up living in the apartment right above where i was standing. With their window open i could hear them telling the other guy they live with "dude there is this guy outside that is packin heat!"

Anyways i plan on going out to some more public places in the up coming days and making sure to print more pamphlets!

steelcoreap

imported post

Nice job Izzle, its good to see some more people in college towns OCing. I'm in Pullman going to WSU and we've now got a pretty decent sized OC group for a town our size. We have four or five of us that OC pretty regularly. If youre ever out this direction during the school year let us know.

-Kevin

just_a_car

imported post

Izzle wrote:
Then of course there were two other people that weren't as "accepting" of it. There were two women who asked why i carried and I respondedwith "for protection" they both laughed and didn't really go along with the whole idea.
They're probably the same type of girls that would say "I'd rather be raped than have to shoot someone."

...I can never get my head around that statement. :banghead:

G27

imported post

I cringe and simplyturn my faceaway in embarrassment when one of my friends brings up the fact that I "pack heat." I hate that expression; it is so derogatory.

just_a_car

imported post

G27 wrote:
I cringe and simplyturn my faceaway in embarrassment when one of my friends brings up the fact that I "pack heat." I hate that expression; it is so derogatory.
+1. Makes you sound like a criminal or a mobster.

joeroket

imported post

G27 wrote:
I just reach in my pocket and tell them "yep, I have my lighter with me.";)

heresolong

imported post

Glad your first experience was good. My buddy and I OC'd in Ellensburg twice last Sunday. We were on our way to a meeting in Moses Lake and stopped at the 76 by the freeway for water on the way out and ice cream on the way home. Not there long but you aren't alone.

I have also found, btw, that the "protection" thing doesn't work so well as an explanation because most people don't accept that you need protection. I like the idea of "its a tool, better to have it and not need it" that someone mentioned today on the forum. I am going to start using that one.

surfj9009

imported post

When I talk to somebody who seems as though they wanna be a smartass, or condecending even, I shrug my shoulders and say this very calmly, in a dismissive tone:

"Well, I suppose it's like having good health insurance. I would much rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

It automatically shifts to being a personal responsibilty issue. Most people don't have much to say after hearing that. I think it takes time for the brain to catch up to speed with that statement.

Of course, it always surprises me that some women are weird about it. Being responsible and confidant are majoralpha male turn ons for most women. I think it is just that so many younger women grow up without guns around. But if for some reason some guy started to freak out on them, or their psycho ex-boyfriend who is mad that they are talking to some other guy come to the party and starts beating them, you will be the first person they hope comes running.

Women....:banghead::banghead: