• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cabelas in Post Falls adventure

surfj9009

imported post

Cabelas just across stateline in Post Falls Idaho. I will just quote from my recorder:

Greeter (g): How can we help you today?
Myself (m): I have a return
g: ok, but you can't come in here with a gun
m: I'm sorry, why is that?
g: You have to keep it concealed
m: Idaho is an open carry state, I am not required to conceal
g: nah, in the state of Idaho it is, but every store has their own policy which your going to have to abide by
m: oh, so the official policy is that i am not allowed to carry it? Do you guys have that in writing?
g: Uh, yeah it's right there on the front door.
m: That doesnt say anything about open carry.
g: It says you have to check your firearms in.
m: If I am bringing in for service or repair, yea.
g: ok, but their philosiphy is to keep it concealed
m: but i'm not required to conceal it
g: no but that's just their policy, of course if you go outside you can do whatever you want
m: Well if thats the policy it should be posted on the door.
g: well I don't know what does it say? (Walks to sign and reads out loud) "All firearms that are brought in for repair, service or trade must be opened and checked in. This does not apply to concealed carry permit holders" So, it says concealed carry, so you gotta keep it concealed.
m: It doesn't say i have to have it concealed and i'm not checking it in, that sign doesnt apply
g: No, you don't have to check it in, just keep it concealed, that's all I am saying
m: that sign does not say i have to conceal, that would be illegal if I don't have the proper permit. I thought Cabela's policy was to follow state law?
g: Well.......uh.......every store can dictate their own policy.
m: Well maybe it should be posted. (at this point i just put my t-shirt over it since we were walking to the counter)
g: Well what can we do for you today?
m:Well it was going to be an exchange but I don't like your policy so lets just call it a return.
g: Ok, they can take care of you right over there.

So I head over to the customer service counter to the cutie working the counter
m: Hi! I have a return and I would also like to speak with the manager.
cutie: OK, I'll call him.

A few minutes go by and he shows up. We had the following conversation while I was doing my return. There were about 5 people in line at this point behind me who all had to hear our conversation, since I put the exchange on hold when he came up, so the cutie and folks behind me had to wait until I was done. Now, keep in mnd, my .45 was under my t-shirt still at this point....

Ron (r) is the manager
r: hi, how are you doing
m: I'm good, my name is jason. I wanted to talk to you because I want to ask about your firearms policy in the store
r: ok
m; there is no sign on the door that says I can't open carry into the store, and i know it's not illegal in Idaho to open carry a firearm
r: um-hmm
m: Um, but I was asked to conceal it. I want to ask you what the official policy was because I thought the corporate policy was to follow state law
r: actually you can carry if you've got a permit you can carry it into the building.
m: ok, but it doesn't have to be concealed correct?
r: If you have a concealed weapons permit it does have to be concealed, right.
m: It does? Thats Cabelas policy? Because in Idaho I can open carry without having to have a permit of any kind.
r: you can open carry it, right. yeah
m: so..... why would I have to have it concealed just because I have a permit.
r: well, actually you dont have to..... you confused me there for a second.... you can open carry it but....we just for the......I guess for the comfort of the other guest in the store...it, it sometimes makes other people nervous by having someone carry an open firearm in the store. We have no, we can't stop you from doing it.
m: OK (showing my "that's the end of this discussion, thank you face and tone") Well, there shouldn't be any reason why people should be nervous about it, especially in here.
r: well, there's obvious reasons why but....
m: well i just wanted to find out what the official policy was
r: yeah, if you carry it openly, you can do that
m: ok, yeah. becasue if i don't have a concealed pistol licence, than it's illegal (with emphasis) to conceal it
r: right
m: right?
r: right
m: ok. So I'll go back to the way I was. (as I lift my t-shirt back up over the pistol back into OC mode)
r: ok (with a look of almost shock on his face)
(I heard somebody in line behind me let out a little "ha-ha" quietly. there were still people waiting for me to complete my return with the cutie.:lol:)
m: the that gentleman at the door asked me to conceal, i guess he was unsure what the official policy really is.
r: Well, it just makes other people uncomfortable, that's all
m: well, i cant' do anything about other peoples feelings
r: Well, i know but, well....
m: Ok, I gotcha. Well, I'll continue to bring my business here then. Thank you.
r: OK great, have a good day.

So, it was sadly obvious that he couldn't wait to get away from me once he realized I had a gun. :what::lol:

So I finished my return, went and looked through the store for what I needed, and made sure I took my time. Maybe it was a coincidence, but I sure had a lot of employees come up and ask me if i needed help finding anything. (Especially considering how busy it was) I strolled by all the gun cases. had a chat with a customer at the gun counter for about 10 minutes about the XD's vs. M and P's and FNP's. Took my time in the reloading section. Chose the longest line I could when checking out, and made sure I was strong side to most people there.

As I was leaving, I saw the first guy I spoke with. With a big smile he said, "have a good day!!" and i just smiled back and said "you too".

Saint

imported post

Remember that Cabella's Corporate policy is to follow state law. This means that individual stores CANNOT make their own policies and management is not allowed to ask to you conceal or to remove you sidearm.

My only suggestion on the entire encounter would be that I don't think you should have covered up at all. The greeter has no authority as anything besides an employee and you should have demanded to see a manager immediately or simply ignored the greeter and continued on your way.

Over all though good job. :D

Eagleeye

imported post

Where do they get these Door Greeters from?

WalFart? Commiefornia? NYC?:uhoh:

[Edited to add propper Slur for CA..:cool:]

Semper Paratus

imported post

I live in Spokane and have a CWP but routinely OC. I went in Cabala's today OC. I was looking for some ammo. When I got to the gun counter (the was no greeter) the guy behind the counter asked me what I wanted. he said they did not carry the rounds i needed. then he said the following.

Counter Guy: In the future you need to check your gun at the front desk.

Me: I am not here for a repair or trade.

CG: It is store policy to check guns at the door.

M: Do you want to see my CWP

CG: Don't worry about it. Lets see if we can find some rounds for you.

I continued around the store with no problems for about an hour bought some fishing tackle. talked to several employees no more comments.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

In Idaho, only one of the parties in a conversation has to know about the recorder to make it legal. So, if you're carrying a recorder, you know it's there, thus making any conversation you record perfectly legal.