• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in WA for Non-WA resident.

jrtayloriv

imported post

I am living in Olympia, WA. I just applied for my concealed carry permit a few days ago, so I can't carry concealed, which would be my preference.

I have an out of state ID (Alabama), and moved to Washington a few months ago. But I have been living with a friend with whom I am splitting the bills and rent, so I never had any "proof" (i.e. utility bills, etc that are in my name) that I was a Washington resident until the other day, when I went and got my voter registration switched over to my local address, so I could apply for my concealed carry permit.

My question is, do I need to be a Washington resident to legally open carry in Washington? I have to wait 60 days to get my concealed carry permit -- is it the same before I can OC? Also, there is nothing that requires that I have a concealed carry permit in order to carry a loaded pistol correct? I've read that in parts of Oregon, you can't open carry with a loaded weapon (now that doesn't sound too useful does it ... idiots :( ), unless you have a concealed pistol license ... is it the same in WA?.

Is there anything else I should be aware of in my situation?

Thanks!
--J. Taylor

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Best to ask the questions in the Washington forum, but I will answer them here.

The law says, if you do not have a Washington ID, or if you haven't resided here for 90 days, they can take 60 days to issue. Most agencies will not take that kind of time because the process is exact for both resident and non-residents, though a few do.

The preemption situation in Oregon is not the same as Washington's. In Washington, without a concealed pistol license, you can still open carry statewide. Seattle, Olympia, and other cities are not allowed to pass "loaded carry" bans like they can in Oregon.

Here's a little trick that I know that may be able to get you considered "resident" besides the utility bills. Do you have a passport? Put on your current residence address in Olympia on the app, and present a US passport for ID purposes. Most will not question further, but again, most agencies don't actually make you wait longer just because you have an out of state ID anyway.

If you have problems applying, please PM me. If you need assistance in applying for an Oregon Concealed Handgun License, please also PM me. I can assist you with the application process.

jrtayloriv

imported post

Thanks Lonnie --

You said that most agencies don't take 60 days. I applied with the Olympia Police Department -- are they known to take a long time?

Also, thanks for your offer for assistance with the OR concealed pistol license. We are actually in the process of looking at rural real estate down in the Klamath Falls/Bly/Lakewood area for hunting/camping, and if we go through with it, I might be taking you up on your offer in a few months :)

Anyhow, thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

--Jesse