• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Time Carrying Today

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

Well, today was my first experience carrying a loaded gun legally, thanks to my non-resident PA permit and a trip to Indiana. I carried my Beretta 90-Two holstered on my belt. I had my coat on over it since it was a little chilly, but wasn't concerned about it being open or concealed. What a wonderful feeling it was to go to a gas station and buy a soda and reach for my wallet, exposing my firearm in the process and not having the clerk bat an eye. God, I can;t wait to move out of Stallinois!! I know this isn't much of a story, but it was a glorious day for me.

Ford Truck

Franklin Township, DeKalb County, Indiana, USA
imported post

Feels good, don't it? I've got Indiana License To Carry Handgun, New Hampshire Pistol/Revolver License and Pennsylvania License To Carry Firearm. I don't have any "concealed" weapons permits, but I do have the paperwork to get my Florida permit so I'll be legal in Ohio. I live in Indiana but work in Ohio.

foxxie02

imported post

yes i too live in indiana in terre haute and have kind of been a little terrified at open carrying even though i know it is my right. especially since the local pd is not really friendly towards open carry, even threatened to take away permit and gun if they see you open carry. i know it is legal in th because i see people oc here once in a while. i am determined to oc tomorrow to grocery store and maybe a few other places to pop the cherry, as a army vet i wouldn't think this would be a big deal. but when speaking with asst. man. at gander mountain he warned that the cops are pricks here in th and that you might expect a felony stop or a flashlight up side the head before being asked about any permit, i hope he jests...

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Foxxie,
Most of these horror stories about getting "a flashlight upside the head" are a result of macho talk by cops who feel threatened by the idea of armed citizens, or timid people who justify their own reluctance to exercise their rights by saying its too dangerous to do so. I'm not saying you can't be vicitmized by rogue cops; plenty of stories here document just that. Still, if you are fully within your rights, and you carry responsibly, the liklihood of any significant problem is pretty low. Besides, if some out of control cop hits you with a flashlight, you'll own his ass in court.
:celebrate

I'll give the same advice I've given before: find someone else who wants to OC in your area and go with him (or her:cool:) in the beginning. Having a companion --and a witness-- makes things go a lot better. My hope is you'll start off small like that, then gather others so you can start having OC dinners in your area. "Now that's a lot of fun right there, I don't care who you are!" sez Larry, the OC Guy.

P.S. Check out the Virginia page today: "First Negative OC Experience in 10+Years"

ImChad

imported post

foxxie02 wrote:
yes i too live in indiana in terre haute and have kind of been a little terrified at open carrying even though i know it is my right. especially since the local pd is not really friendly towards open carry, even threatened to take away permit and gun if they see you open carry. i know it is legal in th because i see people oc here once in a while. i am determined to oc tomorrow to grocery store and maybe a few other places to pop the cherry, as a army vet i wouldn't think this would be a big deal. but when speaking with asst. man. at gander mountain he warned that the cops are pricks here in th and that you might expect a felony stop or a flashlight up side the head before being asked about any permit, i hope he jests...

I realize this post is a bit older, but OC in Terre Haute isn't a bad idea. I grew up and lived in that god awful town for 20 years. I never carried there, but plenty of my family did. They never had an issue. The TPD isn't that bad. Its the fellow people inside of Terre Haute that compelled me to leave. But, thats another story and I don't mean to be offensive. I lived in a neighborhood that was terrific when I bought my house and a few years later meth had made it unsafe to leave at night.

Anyhow, you can carry in Terre Haute without any real concern from my point of view. Most of my family carried CC and OC without any of them ever sayign anything about being harrassed by the local police.

squisher

imported post

I was only in TH for 4 years, I went to college there. RHIT's far enough off the beaten path that I didn't have to deal much with Terre Haute proper, but guns weren't officially allowed in the dorms (I doubt anybody would have made a big stink about it though).

(I didn't own a handgun at the time anyway, had a permit, but no gun yet).

I guess since I didn't get into TH proper much, I didn't see many problems. The ONE conversation I had with a cop ended in a verbal warning, but he was kind of a prick (probably just him). I pulled into a fast food joint for an evening snack (on 46, by the interstate). I had stepped out of the car already when he barrelled into the parking lot and parked me in and let me know what he thought about things.

Turns out he had spotted me all the way down at the 46/40 intersection, apparently grossly speeding (BS) as he had to "run 85 to catch up with ya." (I never saw him until the parking lot, and it was a good 15 seconds or better between me parking and him pulling in). I admitted to being heavy on the throttle when I took off (to get out of traffic, I was in the front row). But that was it. Oh well, no ticket so no biggie I guess.

Edit:

Oh, and congrats on your first carry experience. I feel weird without it nowadays. ;)

Sleepless

imported post

foxxie02 wrote:

foxxie I would recommend carrying avoicerecorder so in case that you do get hassled then you will have proof of your conversation with the LEO.

Good luck and let us know how it went.