• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

surveillance cameras

Do you have surveillance cameras around your home

• NO, I am not going to install one.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO, But I'm thinking about it

• No, Not going to do it

• Maybe sometime

• Good idea but I don't think I will

• Yes, and happy I did

• NO that is just being paranoid

• Total voters

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Being that we here are all about protecting ourselves and love ones, I want to know how many members of this site have installed surveillance cameras in their home.

Myself being that I am overseas now, and my wife and kid are at home alone. Her being from a foreign country and new to the USA. I take it very serious to protect them. Even though I do not live in a bad area, there are still BG around, and we are not exempt from something crazy happening, ( like someone running from a crime right into a open door or a home) so I am looking into surveillance cameras for my home. I think its just part or my duty as the man of the house.

I told my wife when we get the cameras (and even now) that if she see someone trying to get in the house to call 911. run to the Bath room lock the door, but the baby in the bathtub stand behind the wall, and if they kick in that door then send them out that door with Three rounds of .357 Magthat is our homedefense

Misguided Child

imported post

I installed oneafter being burglarized in Feb. Kind of a PITA to get set up but probably worth it. I don't have live monitoringbecause Idon't want BG's to realize they're being taped. It would be easy to run a wire fromthe output though.My primary purpose is to record anybody breaking in since the PD doesn't have much chance of catching someone unless they can find out who it is and if you have video the chance of sucessful prosecution goes way up.

Look at ebay for DVR systems and that will give you the names of several stores. A 120 gig hard drive will store 3-7 days of activity depending on the record rate you set. A monitor will show what is currently being videoed and allow playback. Little tiny cameras with at least 420 lines of resolution will work and make it harder for the bad guys to know they're being taped. Black and white cams shoot much better in low light. You can get a wireless system but it will run a little more, be more obvious and more prone to being shut off if the control box gets unplugged. Mine is just like a little dvd player with 4cam and 4 audio inputs and will run 4 cams at 15 frames per second with about 4 days of storage capacity. If I were togo on vacation I would turn off two cams or reduce the frame rate to increase storage for longer thenI would be gone.

dlnwoody

imported post

I am looking at getting a computer system. That way if you go on vacation or you are at work you can look at the camrea on line. You can add another harddrive to your computer and dedicate it to the system. I think they have them at tigerdirect.com. I have heard good and bad things about them. I guess it is how much you want to spend.

joeroket

imported post

I use a webcam and a program called Yawcam. It gives me remote viewing capability via a web browser and takes a snapshot every 10 seconds, this is user configurable, that is uploaded via FTP to a server I rent in Texas. I only use one camera but Yawcam can use run multiple instances and use more than one camera if you want it to.