• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first gun was in Hawaii

tracylaud83

imported post

I was married in Hawaii, in 1985

I had told my wife that as soon as I turned 21, I was going to purchase a handgun.

SW, .357 Mag, model 586

Wife would not write the check, or go with at all. Her entire family voiced their opinion on how bad guns are, and refused to come to the house after my purchase.

Wife could not change my mind, and ended up saying that, once the baby was born I would have to agree to a gun case. I agreed, thinking of the glass cases that I grew up with on the farm in PA.

After she had the baby, she came home with a present for me. It was a heavy duty gun Safe.

Years later, after the USMC, I was Fed LEO, and CC all the time, and OC at home. She has come a long way, but sometimes tells me to CC or "Cover that thing up".

Her Family still won't come into the house when they visit.

nwi40cal

imported post

Yep, sorry to hear the story. My Wife don't like the whole OC idea, but she don't careI have it with me always. As for your lawful family, im sorry you feel that way about guns, but it is not guns who kill people, its the person wielding the gun who makes that decision. I dont know how I would take it, to me, I think I would be offended... You accepted me before I had the gun, what changes that? So now I'm crazy or a trigger-happy loon because I want to defend myself and my family Properly? Just because you won't use one don't mean the BG coming in your house at 1:45am won't use one. It's all in having the upper hand. Oops, sorry, didn't mean to ramble on.

Flintlock

imported post

tracylaud83 wrote:
Her Family still won't come into the house when they visit.
Ya know, that is truly sad indeed. I realize how people get to be against certain things in life by the way they are raised, etc. But do they expect the firearm to jump out of it's holster and start blindly firing or are they concerned you might mishandle it or something?

tracylaud83

imported post

Her family knows my training as a Marine, and as LEO, my wife (of 22+ years now) knows how I grew up around guns, and has watched me teach all 5 of our kids on gun safety and gun use.

I really feel that their issues are from being born and raised in Anti-Gun Hawaii.

having said that I taught our kids, I must say that all my guns are locked up or on me, and the kids (ages 13 - 22), NEVER have access to any of my guns, without me supervising.

Flintlock

imported post

tracylaud83 wrote:
I really feel that their issues are from being born and raised in Anti-Gun Hawaii.
Good job of not letting your children become indoctrinated into that line of thinking as well.

TheMrMitch

imported post

My buddy's brother lives in Hawaii and is in Ky for awhile. Was gonna stay but this winter changed his mind.

Anyhow....I first met him when he visited my bud and we had dinner. He totally freaked when he saw I was openly packing my Glock and after months, he still tells the tale. It gets bigger and better every time he tells it. I am now the BADDEST manhe's EVER seen....LOL.

Are most people in Hawaii like that? No offense meant.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

No the folks in Hawaii are like the rest of us in the continental united states, it's just they got those damn tough gun laws, wich are very contradictory to the states own constitution.