• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry of a long arm

skydiver1921

imported post

Hello, I was just wondering as to the legality of the open carry of a long arm in the state of Virginia. Is it legal for me to open carry my bushmaster carbine, I know it would definitely get the cops called but I just wanted to know if it is "technically" legal. Thanks for your help.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

skydiver1921 wrote:
Hello, I was just wondering as to the legality of the open carry of a long arm in the state of Virginia. Is it legal for me to open carry my bushmaster carbine, I know it would definitely get the cops called but I just wanted to know if it is "technically" legal. Thanks for your help.

This is a strange question from a first-time poster, and of the type that very often raises suspicios that the poster is what is referred to as a "troll".

In order for you to avoid being considered a troll, please introduce yourself and include some information about why you chose this question as your first post, where you were considering carrying said carbine, and why you were considering carrying said carbine.

It would help if you included your Social Security number, at least two active bank account numbers, you home address, home and cell phone numbers, and pictures of your girlfriend and dog (hers or yours, whichever is handy). :lol:

stay safe.

skidmark

ScottNH

imported post

skidmark wrote:
skydiver1921 wrote:

This is a strange question from a first-time poster, and of the type that very often raises suspicios that the poster is what is referred to as a "troll".

skidmark
Especially when the post asks about carrying a "Bushmaster AK carbine."

XD Owner

imported post

He's probably ok as long as the mag is designed to holdless than 15 rounds, and it is slung on his back, muzzle down.

Skydiver - giveit a try as described above and let us know how it goes.:lol:

buying_ice_cream.jpg

Here's a picture in case you don't know what a muzzle is.

XD Owner

imported post

In case anyone wonders why I said a magazine with 15 rounds is ok, it is because more than 20 rounds is illegal.

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.

(1991, c. 570; 1992, c. 790; 2003, c. 976; 2004, c. 995; 2005, c. 160; 2007, c. 813.)

Gotta give myself a dancing banana for that! :celebrate

Neplusultra

imported post

XD Owner wrote:
He's probably ok as long as the mag is designed to holdless than 15 rounds, and it is slung on his back, muzzle down.

buying_ice_cream.jpg

WOW! Where is this??

skydiver1921

imported post

I haven't actually done this nor do I intend to do so, I was simply wondering if the law contains special provisions for long arms and assault weapons being carried that are different from handguns. I actually live in MD, where you can't carry at all except with one of the super rare MD CCWs. But luckily I'm pretty close to Virginia, so when I do carry its in VA. By the way, why did ScottNH say it being an AK Carbine is any different? Thanks for your help.

eyesopened

imported post

The subtitle on your thread states, "Bushmaster AK Carbine Carried Open". I'm not aware Bushmaster makes AK Carbines...

If I remember correctly, that pic is of some soldiers in the IDF having some ice cream :cool:

LEO 229

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
XD Owner wrote:

WOW! Where is this??
This picture is old so I am sure they are no longer at the counter.... just wanted to save you a trip to go see them. :lol:

Neplusultra

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
XD Owner wrote:

WOW! Where is this??
This picture is old so I am sure they are no longer at the counter.... just wanted to save you a trip to go see them. :lol:
You read my mind! Are you a psychic? :D

hsmith

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
XD Owner wrote:

WOW! Where is this??
Israel

XD Owner

imported post

Wish I could take credit for the pic, but someone else took in the world took it.

Do an image search for "Israeli girls with guns" and this is one of the results.

mercutio545

imported post

As far as my experience goes, it's not a good idea. A while back, I had just come from the range with my shotgun, when I had to "open carry" it to my friends apartment to clean it. I had to park a few blocks down, and since I didn't have a case for it (I had just gotten it and I trashed the cardboard it came in), I decided to walk with it. The action was open, the safety was on, and my hand was over the reciever (but still showing the open action) with the muzzle angled at the ground. Luckily for me, a Richmond LEO had to walk right past me and notice it. It took forever to get everything sorted out. Even after he saw that it was empty, they still threatened me with a "felony charge". If I had known then what I know now, it would have played out much differently.

In my opinion (IANAL), you should *THEORETICALLY* be ok having it slung on your back with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. However, it can be almost guaranteed that you'll be eating cement with a pair of cuffs on you and a cops boot up your ass in no time at all.

Going on a hike or walkabout into the middle of nowhere (implying that it's legal to carry the rifle in question)? Sure, why not take the bushy.

Going to a populated place? Leave it at home or in the trunk.

skydiver1921

imported post

Mercutio, what felony could they charge you with? It seems what you were doing is perfectly legal, perhaps even if it was loaded, as long as it doesn't have a magazine with more than 7 rounds in it.