Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: The first time I ever pulled a gun on someone

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    599

    Post imported post

    This is a true story of self defense, or should I say forme protecting my twin brother. I was about maybe 12-13 years old and there was this guy that us to beat me and my brother up at times. He was older and tougher than we were (but that's the past) ha-ha. Well one day before I pulled the gun on himI found where my mom kept her .22 revolver pistol in the house. I found it, admired it. But I knew guns are dangerous, and I did not play with it, I did not pull the trigger, I did not point it at anyone. I just looked at it held it and put it back. I would go back from time to time and check on it in the weeks and months to come.


    Well one day the guy that use to beat up my brother and I came over, we at some point got to arguing because in playing my brother talk about his mom, that got himmad. Well they got into a big fistfight. And I did not want to jump in it because,I thought thatpeople would say. "You and your brother jumped that boy and fought him"so I was just saying "Stop, Stop" but my brother was holding his on a lot. But the guy was getting the upper hand on him. After awhile of saying stop. And crying ( I was in the kitchen, they were fighting in the living room.) I turned around and ran down the hall, and looked in that old clothes dryer that we had, dug under some clothes and grabbed that .22 cal pistol. I held it in my hand and jogged down that hallway and pointed that gun at him and said. "STOP STOP STOP" He looked up and me and in 1sec he ran out that door, and jumped down and ran behind the house… I ran to the door behind him and when I got to the door, I swung the gun with my hand straight out down the side of the door just in time to see him run behind the house.. I still remember my hand shaking the entire time.

    That was the first time I ever pulled a gun on someone. I am so glade that I did not pull that trigger, and I think it was from that day forward after seeing the power of a pistol, and how it can change a situation in a instant that I came to love guns.


  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    Mmm interesting...

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247

    Post imported post

    If this is really is a true story it is sad in so many ways until it makes me want to puke.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    Alwayspacking wrote:
    This is a true story of self defense, or should I say forme protecting my twin brother. I was about maybe 12-13 years old and there was this guy that us to beat me and my brother up at times. He was older and tougher than we were (but that's the past) ha-ha. Well one day before I pulled the gun on himI found where my mom kept her .22 revolver pistol in the house. I found it, admired it. But I knew guns are dangerous, and I did not play with it, I did not pull the trigger, I did not point it at anyone. I just looked at it held it and put it back. I would go back from time to time and check on it in the weeks and months to come.


    Well one day the guy that use to beat up my brother and I came over, we at some point got to arguing because in playing my brother talk about his mom, that got himmad. Well they got into a big fistfight. And I did not want to jump in it because,I thought thatpeople would say. "You and your brother jumped that boy and fought him"so I was just saying "Stop, Stop" but my brother was holding his on a lot. But the guy was getting the upper hand on him. After awhile of saying stop. And crying ( I was in the kitchen, they were fighting in the living room.) I turned around and ran down the hall, and looked in that old clothes dryer that we had, dug under some clothes and grabbed that .22 cal pistol. I held it in my hand and jogged down that hallway and pointed that gun at him and said. "STOP STOP STOP" He looked up and me and in 1sec he ran out that door, and jumped down and ran behind the house… I ran to the door behind him and when I got to the door, I swung the gun with my hand straight out down the side of the door just in time to see him run behind the house.. I still remember my hand shaking the entire time.

    That was the first time I ever pulled a gun on someone. I am so glade that I did not pull that trigger, and I think it was from that day forward after seeing the power of a pistol, and how it can change a situation in a instant that I came to love guns.
    I can appreciate you posting the story.

    I do have issues with the fact that your mom left a loaded gun out that you had access to it. So many kids find guns and either shoot themselves or others accidentally. In your case you could have shot the bully or your brother over a common fist fight.

    You chose not to join in during a fist fight based on what "people would say" but what would they say about you pointing a loadedgun?? I think that is far worse then ganging up on a bully.

    The gun is a tool that is very dangerous. Does it have the power to make people do stuff? Yes. But you also have the power to make people do stuff too.

    I do not believe that the event of your using the gun to chase off a bully caused your love of guns. You stated that you admired it and checked it routinely so you loved that gun long before.

    You already had a crushon the gun but you fell in love with thepower it had.I hope that did not go to your head.


  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    661

    Post imported post

    I'm glad things worked out for you. Here in AZ you would have been arrested. You can't threaten deadly physical force to prevent someone from using physical force. Granted you were only 12, but for the sake of making the record straight (at least for my home state) your actions would have been illegal.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Firestone, Colorado
    Posts
    1,189

    Post imported post

    Alwayspacking wrote:
    That was the first time I ever pulled a gun on someone.
    When were the others?

    I hope they were more justified. I'm glad your story ended well, but it could have gone very, very badly.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    599

    Post imported post

    Don’t get me wrong… I know it could have turned out very badly. And I know I could have went to jail if I pulled the trigger, that's why I did not pull the trigger. I was 12 years old and I did not know any laws on pulling guns, all I knew was if you shoot someone then you go to jail.

    And no the power of a gun has not went to my head. Fact is this story is way in the back of my mind, and I never talk about it. My wife does not even know about it. I forgot all about this story for many many many years. I never talking about it and I never bring it up. The only time it was ever brought up was when he told the people in the neighborhood, and they in the neighborhood started respecting me, and would not bother me anymore.
    I am a level head citizen that follows the law of the land, and has never been guilty of a crime in my life, and I have owned guns from the age of 18.
    NO a gun has not to my head, If it had I would not be on this site I would be out committing crime with a gun, but I am a free man that’s served in the US army, married a good lady and have a beautiful son. And I will raise him right in the evil world. I just told a story about when I first had to use a gun. That’s it, I didn to say it was the right thing to do. But at the time it was the right thing for me to do. And I do not regret it.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    661

    Post imported post

    What your story does illustrate very well is something the antis just can't wrap their heads around. A sidearm wielded responsibly can de-escalatea situation very quickly. It does not automatically lead to old-west shootouts, rather it has a tendency to end a confrontation rather suddenly.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    599

    Post imported post

    Dahwg wrote:
    What your story does illustrate very well is something the antis just can't wrap their heads around. A sidearm wielded responsibly can de-escalatea situation very quickly. It does not automatically lead to old-west shootouts, rather it has a tendency to end a confrontation rather suddenly.
    yes it was not that I wanted to shoot the guy, but I know in order to stop the mayhem I had to pull the pistol. And we are friends even until this day and we never ever taking about it. Oh that was in NC back in the in 1888.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    Alwayspacking wrote:
    Dahwg wrote:
    What your story does illustrate very well is something the antis just can't wrap their heads around. A sidearm wielded responsibly can de-escalatea situation very quickly. It does not automatically lead to old-west shootouts, rather it has a tendency to end a confrontation rather suddenly.
    yes it was not that I wanted to shoot the guy, but I know in order to stop the mayhem I had to pull the pistol. And we are friends even until this day and we never ever taking about it. Oh that was in NC back in the in 1888.
    1888, man your an old fogey. 132 years old by my reckoning. :shock:

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    599

    Post imported post

    lol i mean 1988

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lynnwood, WA, ,
    Posts
    1,487

    Post imported post

    I think the lesson learned here is a good one. Now while I can't say whether or not pointing the gun was a good idea, I'm not going to second guess your actions from 20 years ago when you were still in grade school. I think that whether or not the display of force was justified is irrelevant to the story or to this thread.

    What is important is that you learned how just having a gun will end most conflicts, be it a beating or a mugging or a raping, or whatever else you can think of. It's important to know that you are not defenseless, and I think that this experience helps you to know beyond any doubt why you carry a gun. That's a very valuable lesson for a kid.

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    599

    Post imported post

    It is good that some of you here see past the point of it being right or wrong, but are looking at how having a firearm resolved a conflict even without firing a shot. I just simply told a story and it seemed like I just open a can of worms. But it's good some people understand and did not jump all over me…..thanks

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    1,413

    Post imported post

    Dahwg wrote:
    I'm glad things worked out for you. Here in AZ you would have been arrested. You can't threaten deadly physical force to prevent someone from using physical force. Granted you were only 12, but for the sake of making the record straight (at least for my home state) your actions would have been illegal.
    I read this and I know the question is slightly OT but I am curious - what is the difference between physical force and deadly force in terms of the law? If a man is beating a child, there is little doubt the man COULD kill the child, but is the force he's presently using DEADLY or merely PHYSICAL and when might a bystander stop the assault with a firearm?

    If someone is assaulting me and I have a firearm OC or CC, I believe the attacker is using deadly force because if I am trying to fend him off, he could gain possession of my firearm and use it against me. So where is the line?

    TIA

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Firestone, Colorado
    Posts
    1,189

    Post imported post

    timf343 wrote:
    If a man is beating a child, there is little doubt the man COULD kill the child, but is the force he's presently using DEADLY or merely PHYSICAL and when might a bystander stop the assault with a firearm?

    If someone is assaulting me and I have a firearm OC or CC, I believe the attacker is using deadly force because if I am trying to fend him off, he could gain possession of my firearm and use it against me. So where is the line?

    TIA
    Though the details vary in small ways from state to state, the general principle is that if you have a reasonable fear that you or another person is in imminent danger of death or serious injury, you can use deadly force to stop the threat. It doesn't matter what weapon or lack of weapon the assailant has, as long as the fear is reasonable.

    If you see a man attacking a similarly-sized man, and neither is armed, then a reasonable person would assume that while the assailant might beat the other guy up, he's unlikely to be able to kill him. Supposing, though, that the assailant manages to land a lucky punch, knocking the other to the ground, and begins kicking him hard in the head and torso. They're both still unarmed, but the situation has now changed, and a reasonable person would believe that the guy on the ground is likely to die or at least be seriously injured if the beating doesn't stop.

    timf343 wrote:
    If someone is assaulting me and I have a firearm OC or CC, I believe the attacker is using deadly force because if I am trying to fend him off, he could gain possession of my firearm and use it against me. So where is the line?
    This one's tricky. On the one hand, it's a legitimate concern. On the other hand, just imagine yourself trying to tell a jury that you had to shoot the guy because even though he was unarmed and not a serious threat, he MIGHT have been able to get your gun and shoot you. Good luck with that.

    This dilemma is the reason I carry OC spray.

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    1,413

    Post imported post

    swillden wrote:
    If you see a man attacking a similarly-sized man, and neither is armed, then a reasonable person would assume that while the assailant might beat the other guy up, he's unlikely to be able to kill him. Supposing, though, that the assailant manages to land a lucky punch, knocking the other to the ground, and begins kicking him hard in the head and torso. They're both still unarmed, but the situation has now changed, and a reasonable person would believe that the guy on the ground is likely to die or at least be seriously injured if the beating doesn't stop.
    I get the intent of the law - no one wants any more shootings than we already have in this dangerous world. BUT, if I'm in the situation you describe, I leave before I "see anything", call the police anonymous from a payphone or not at all.

    Granted, I don't believe a gun should ever be pulled for any other reason than to shoot it, certainly not intimidation. But if I can expect to be arrested for trying to stop a situation, they're on their own. My gun is for my safety, but my safety also includes my freedom. Alive and behind bars (or at least alive but prohibited from having a gun anymore) is not exactly what I have in mind.

    I think people generally want to help others, but why do most people drive by an accident pretending they didn't see it? They don't want to be a witness in court because it's inevitable it will wind up in court. When good-samaritans face civil lawsuits bankrupting them, and no good deed goes unpunished, why would I want to help anyone but myself?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Firestone, Colorado
    Posts
    1,189

    Post imported post

    timf343 wrote:
    I get the intent of the law - no one wants any more shootings than we already have in this dangerous world. BUT, if I'm in the situation you describe, I leave before I "see anything", call the police anonymous from a payphone or not at all.
    I didn't mean to imply that you were required to intervene, only that you would be legally justified in shooting if you chose to intervene.

    Whether you step in or walk away is a personal decision.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    661

    Post imported post

    timf343 wrote:
    Dahwg wrote:
    I'm glad things worked out for you. Here in AZ you would have been arrested. You can't threaten deadly physical force to prevent someone from using physical force. Granted you were only 12, but for the sake of making the record straight (at least for my home state) your actions would have been illegal.
    I read this and I know the question is slightly OT but I am curious - what is the difference between physical force and deadly force in terms of the law? If a man is beating a child, there is little doubt the man COULD kill the child, but is the force he's presently using DEADLY or merely PHYSICAL and when might a bystander stop the assault with a firearm?

    If someone is assaulting me and I have a firearm OC or CC, I believe the attacker is using deadly force because if I am trying to fend him off, he could gain possession of my firearm and use it against me. So where is the line?

    TIA
    Again, I can only speak about AZ law here, but here is the law.







    ARS 13-411. Justification; use of force in crime prevention; applicability

    A. A person is justified in threatening or using both physical force and deadly physical force against another if and to the extent the person reasonably believes that physical force or deadly physical force is immediately necessary to prevent the other's commission of arson of an occupied structure under section 13-1704, burglary in the second or first degree under section 13-1507 or 13-1508, kidnapping under section 13-1304, manslaughter under section 13-1103, second or first degree murder under section 13-1104 or 13-1105, sexual conduct with a minor under section 13-1405, sexual assault under section 13-1406, child molestation under section 13-1410, armed robbery under section 13-1904 or aggravated assault under section 13-1204, subsection A, paragraphs 1 and 2.

    B. There is no duty to retreat before threatening or using physical force or deadly physical force justified by subsection A of this section.

    C. A person is presumed to be acting reasonably for the purposes of this section if the person is acting to prevent the commission of any of the offenses listed in subsection A of this section.

    D. This section is not limited to the use or threatened use of physical or deadly physical force in a person's home, residence, place of business, land the person owns or leases, conveyance of any kind, or any other place in this state where a person has a right to be.
    So the controlling statute would be:







    ARS 13-1204. Aggravated assault; classification; definition

    A. A person commits aggravated assault if the person commits assault as prescribed by section 13-1203 under any of the following circumstances:

    1. If the person causes serious physical injury to another.

    2. If the person uses a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument.

    3. If the person commits the assault by any means of force that causes temporary but substantial disfigurement, temporary but substantial loss or impairment of any body organ or part or a fracture of any body part.

    4. If the person commits the assault while the victim is bound or otherwise physically restrained or while the victim's capacity to resist is substantially impaired.

    5. If the person commits the assault after entering the private home of another with the intent to commit the assault.

    6. If the person is eighteen years of age or older and commits the assault on a child who is fifteen years of age or under.
    There's a whole lot more to it but I stopped quoting when I got to the relevant statute.



  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    hmm...you're lucky you weren't sent to juvie...and I'm sorry but if you think that one of the proper uses of a firearm is to scare people with, you're going to find yourself in a whole heep of doo doo sooner or later.

    Be careful and do a bit of research.



  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    599

    Post imported post

    Aeroscoper wrote:
    hmm...you're lucky you weren't sent to juvie...and I'm sorry but if you think that one of the proper uses of a firearm is to scare people with, you're going to find yourself in a whole heep of doo doo sooner or later.

    Be careful and do a bit of research.


    Well that was years and years ago. And in the neighborhood I grow up in people did not call the cops on each other.. In so many years of living there and seeing people do a lot of illegal things like, adults beating kids that did not belong to them, open drunkenness, using drugs in the open public, I have had shot guns pulled on me for fighting, people pulled guns on me for no reason at all. I would shoot my guns in my yard everyday, and NO ONE called the cops. I even had a LEO see me with my shotgun in my hand shooting it in my yard, and he did not say a word to me. (he question my mom, but she played stupid and that was that) Where I was from people just did not call the cops, if they would have then 90% of the people there would be in jail. My mom even shot a guy that was evolved in a fight between my uncle and another guy he did not press charges. The police did notpress charges, and my mom was wrong for shooting him. But she did notgo to jail, or was she even questioned. I came home and saw the cops and the ambulance there. But they still remained friends, no hard feelings. So no I am not lucky I did not go to juvie for that, that was just something that did not happen where I was from. NO one called the cops because everyone was guilty of something.

    I was younger at that time, he was in my house doing my brother harm, and I pulled the pistol that's that. I do not feel bad for doing it. I do not use my gun to scare people if that’s what you think. That was the last time I ever pulled a gun on anyone. I do not look for trouble, I do not even hang around people that are trouble. I don't brag that I carry a gun, I am a cool guy that carries, But if someone else came in my house and I feel they are there to really hurt my family. Think what you want to think about me, call me what you want to call me, but I will pull my gun again if I have to.
    Just recently when I was in the US I had a guy try to start something with me, I voiced my dislike to him, and I just let it be even though I was so pissed, and I had my pistol on me at the time, but I did not pull it, and I did not try to scare him with it.

    I am studying the laws, but thanks for the advise anyway. Anyway I left NC and that hood, and made something out of my life, that is the past. I just told a story of when I pulled the gun. Not saying it was right, but it is what I did. I am not a thug that uses a gun to scare people, and I don’t think I am HARD with a gun. I keep it for self defense, so don’t judge me form what happen many years ago, I was a kid then.

    Oh and welcome to the site, good to have you here. sorry for the harsh reply, it just pisses me off, when people judge me from the past and they only know so little about me.


  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    Alwayspacking wrote:
    Aeroscoper wrote:
    hmm...you're lucky you weren't sent to juvie...and I'm sorry but if you think that one of the proper uses of a firearm is to scare people with, you're going to find yourself in a whole heep of doo doo sooner or later.

    Be careful and do a bit of research.


    Well that was years and years ago. And in the neighborhood I grow up in people did not call the cops on each other.. In so many years of living there and seeing people do a lot of illegal things like, adults beating kids that did not belong to them, open drunkenness, using drugs in the open public, I have had shot guns pulled on me for fighting, people pulled guns on me for no reason at all. I would shoot my guns in my yard everyday, and NO ONE called the cops. I even had a LEO see me with my shotgun in my hand shooting it in my yard, and he did not say a word to me. (he question my mom, but she played stupid and that was that) Where I was from people just did not call the cops, if they would have then 90% of the people there would be in jail. My mom even shot a guy that was evolved in a fight between my uncle and another guy he did not press charges. The police did notpress charges, and my mom was wrong for shooting him. But she did notgo to jail, or was she even questioned. I came home and saw the cops and the ambulance there. But they still remained friends, no hard feelings. So no I am not lucky I did not go to juvie for that, that was just something that did not happen where I was from. NO one called the cops because everyone was guilty of something.

    I was younger at that time, he was in my house doing my brother harm, and I pulled the pistol that's that. I do not feel bad for doing it. I do not use my gun to scare people if that’s what you think. That was the last time I ever pulled a gun on anyone. I do not look for trouble, I do not even hang around people that are trouble. I don't brag that I carry a gun, I am a cool guy that carries, But if someone else came in my house and I feel they are there to really hurt my family. Think what you want to think about me, call me what you want to call me, but I will pull my gun again if I have to.
    Just recently when I was in the US I had a guy try to start something with me, I voiced my dislike to him, and I just let it be even though I was so pissed, and I had my pistol on me at the time, but I did not pull it, and I did not try to scare him with it.

    I am studying the laws, but thanks for the advise anyway. Anyway I left NC and that hood, and made something out of my life, that is the past. I just told a story of when I pulled the gun. Not saying it was right, but it is what I did. I am not a thug that uses a gun to scare people, and I don’t think I am HARD with a gun. I keep it for self defense, so don’t judge me form what happen many years ago, I was a kid then.

    Oh and welcome to the site, good to have you here. sorry for the harsh reply, it just pisses me off, when people judge me from the past and they only know so little about me.
    Wow, sounds like a rough place to grow up in, you're blessed to have made it. Laws in this country aren't typically based on relativity such as where you grew up, for a good reason. That said, thanks for the welcome, and good luck !

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    599

    Post imported post

    Yeah the people in that community are not the ideal citizens of society. Now most of them have criminal records, and have dead-end jobs or no job at all, and are in/out of jail. One of the best things I have ever done in my life was leave that place when I joined the Army. I am one of the few individuals that has escaped that lawless neighborhood. The LEO did not even patrol those streets, and no one called them at all, accept for the lady that owned the corner store would call the police when someone would burglarize her store..

    Now lots in that neighborhood has changed because of the new developments in the area. (things like shooting a gun in the yard are things of the past.) I now hope the next generation behind me are doing better for themselves than my generation did growing up.

    I am going to visit that place when I get to he States in July/Aug, and when the guys I grow up with see me OC and CC (NC accepts WA permits,) they are going to flip because they STILL don’t know any laws I am sure.
    Sorry I was harsh, but at the time of the incident I felt it was the thing to do. And it bugs me when folks jump on me, but when other people have done things that they should not have done with a firearm, and people just shrug it off. Maybe it was the title that set the wrong tone on the story. But I did see how effective a gun was in bring order to chaos.

    Well while I am talking about this, let me just tell this story, looking back at this it may have played a part in my interest for guns .. I have not told anyone about this EVER in my life. only me and my mom talk about this once every blue moon, maybe a total of twice in my life. this is the first time I ever brought this story out. Well when I was a little boy, 5-6 years old, a guy held a pistol to my mom's head, My brother and I was sitting on the chair together, in one loveseat, Our feet did not even reach the front of the seat. And he said if it were not for these two boys I would blow your head off waving it past us.

    I was just looking at the whole thing not saying a word, not crying, I just thought to myself I hope he does not shoot us. then I also said to myself. NO one will ever do this to my mom again, I said I will get me a gun one day and this will never happen to us again. Then when I turned 18 I bought my first Mossberg 500 pistol Grip. ( not thinking on this incident, but just wanting to own my own gun) Maybe that was the point where I came into guns, looking down the business end of one as a child, and making up my mind to protect my mom, and to never let someone do that to her again. But even at that age i knew I needed a gun to beat a gun.

    I never use my pistol for anything other than protection, and in these days, every law abiding citizen needs one.

    The Only time I ever worried about going to juvenile detention, was when my mom shot that guy, I was about 16- 17 at the time.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •