• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weird discoloration in the brand new XD barrel - Rust?!?!?!

Chaingun81

imported post

Pointman wrote:
Because it's brand new. There is no barrel wear on the top where it is contacted by the slide (only a little where the barrel flares to lock against the slide, which is the slight ring just back from the muzzle), which tells me there haven't been many rounds through the gun. Yet there is chipping on the end of the guide rod, and the side of the rod (facing up in the picture) is excessively worn. It basically uses the same support design as a Glock, so the wear patterns should be similar. It almost seems the slide alignment is off, there is a burr, or a particulate is trapped.
Pointman,

There is actually no wear at all on the sideof the guide rod - its just the way light reflected of it. As for the chipping on the end of the rod, i am not quite sure what exactly you are refering to. If that is about the whitishring where the smaller diameter part of the rod penetrates into the larger diameter part, than its not chipping, its some kind of lubricant they used before shipping and i just wiped it off with a rag. Pictures are far from perfect and i was trying to focus my camera on the inside of the barrel, so stuff around it came out funny. Again, the only wear on the guide rod is on the inside end of it, where it presses against the barrel locking lug (you cant see it on the picture as it is inside the slide). Correct me if i am wrong

Pointman

imported post

Fantastic news. That is a problem with pictures not being 3-D. Glad everything is in good shape!

John

imported post

12:40AM EST: I just bought an XD-45 about ten days ago. I am going to check it right now for similar issues.

12:44AM EST: Okay, I've just inspected the barrel and I've got similar markings. I was just out today, so I'm going to clean it and see what it looks like afterward.

UPDATE: 1:47AM EST: Well, I cleaned it up and none of the "markings" came off. I am not particularly concerned about it as I've already thrown quite a few rounds down the barrel without any problem whatsoever other than a solitary feed problem. I could probably do a better job scrubbing at it, but again, I'm not particularly concerned about it.

fatish

imported post

Yeah, same thing happened with my brand new Glock 21 I bought last month. I fired only 10 rounds so far + factory testing, and the irony is I cleaned the barrel twice since. It has the same brownish marks along the bore grooves.
No oil I have here helps, nor does the nylon brush. I'm pretty sure it will go Kb! after a couple of hundred of rounds if this goes on. Any suggestion, guys? How dangerous this is?

grooves.jpg