• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trouble at the Spokane Ridpath

Gryphon

imported post

Trouble At The Ridpath

My name is Ryan Want and I’m fairly new to opencarry.org, however I am no stranger to legally carrying an unconcealed sidearm. I live in southern Idaho, but just recently returned from a vacation to Spokane, WA with my now fiancée. Weeks before my visit, I read up and studied on Washington State gun law so as to be prepared to deal with any problems that may arise, as well as to hopefully prevent them. Unfortunately, our hotel stay was at the Westcoast Ridpath, 515 W. Sprague Ave. in downtown Spokane where the Convention me and my fiancée were attending was being held.

We arrived at the hotel at around 2:00pm local time on Thursday April 24th and I OC’ed my Springfield XD45 inside to check in. The hotel staff was very friendly at this point and seemed happy to see us back from last year’s convention. Not a word was spoken of the sidearm, which several hotel staff had clearly seen. They asked for my drivers license and credit card, got my room keys and that was that. After taking our luggage up to our room, we proceeded down to the mezzanine lounge area to meet and socialize with other convention goers. I continued to carry throughout the remainder of the day without problem or incident aside from some minor discussion on gun law with other individuals.

The next morning, I again proceeded to openly carry my sidearm with me up until convention check in when all the trouble started. My fiancée and I were standing in line to check in at the registration desk. My plan was to check in, and then just before convention activities began, I would return the weapon to the room in order to comply with the convention policy of no weapons in reserved convention spaces.

However, as I moved to the head of the line, I noticed a man in rather formal clothes who was clearly not with the convention take notice of me and approach at a quickened pace, clearly somewhat agitated. He stepped up to me closer than I felt comfortable having him and in a rather animated way proceeded to tell me that I could not have the firearm in plain view, nor in the hotel as it was against state law and that I was brandishing the weapon. I paused for a moment, uncertain I had heard him correctly, with the growing noise of gathering con goers, then calmly and politely told him that he must be misinformed as neither acts were against state law, and asked him to clarify his statement that I was brandishing.

He then firmly told me that I was the one in the wrong and neglected to explain the brandishing claim (I later found out that his definition of brandishing was having the butt of the gun visible/unconcealed). He again told me to take the weapon to my room or conceal it and that he had better not see it again. At this point, it was clear to me that he was deaf as far as to hearing my arguments so I firmly told him that I wanted to speak to his manager now. He seemed a little taken aback at this and after a pause, he replied in an irritated tone with “fine, sir”. After he left, I finished checking in my fiancée and myself with the reg desk and went to have a seat in the lounge and await the manager I had requested to see.

Fifteen minutes went by before the first man reappeared with a lady whom I can only assume was a manager appeared in the lounge area. I stood up in preparation to reaffirm what I had told the man to the manager but they proceeded to walk directly past me to the registration desk and requested the con security manager. They then moved off to the side out of ear shot and began to feed the security manager for the convention the same false information in regards to state law and such. At this point I was becoming somewhat irritated by all of this and I walked up to the group, looked at the two hotel staff and bluntly told them to “excuse me, but I think you should be addressing me.” The man flatly replied that no, they should not be, finished telling the con security manager his false information, and then the two turned and left.

Unfortunately, the con security manager had been unprepared to deal with any issues in regards to firearms. She turned to me with a note of confusion in her expression as the hotel staff walked away. I immediately apologized to her for the trouble and the fact that they had dragged her into this. I briefly explained state law and again apologized as it had never been a convention related matter. She dismissed it as it did not involve the convention directly, and went about her very busy schedule. My fiancée and I then sat in the mezzanine lounge area for a short time to think things over and cool off before I proceeded downstairs to the front desk and requested to see the security manager. The desk attendant apologized as he was out at the moment. I then asked for someone who could help me in regards to my problem and the attendant replied that he (the security manager) would return in about twenty minutes and that she would have him find me.

I thanked her and returned to the lounge, where I puzzled over her use of the “him” pronoun rather than her, as I had thought the lady from earlier had been the security manager. After waiting for about 25 to 30 minutes, I went back downstairs and asked if he had made it back in yet. She answered that he had not and began to say that she would have him find me when he did arrive, but stopped mid sentence and picked up a cell phone. She then called the security manager, conversed briefly and hung up, informing me that he was just pulling in the parking lot and would be in shortly.

It turns out that the security manager was the same individual who originally confronted me, and as he walked up to the front desk on my weak side, he turned to me looking and acting as though the slate had been wiped clean and there was not one thing wrong. I turned toward him, my still holstered side arm becoming visible to him and told him bluntly but politely that I wanted to see his manager, as I knew he would make little effort to see eye to eye. He became aware of the side arm once again and immediately returned to his unprofessional and irritated state. He told me that he was the security manger and that this was in his jurisdiction, so to speak, thus refusing to allow me to speak to a higher up. I then told him that he was mistaken on Washington state law and that open carry was legal.

He then cut me off, telling me that he had a Washington CPL and it didn’t allow him to carry inside the hotel nor openly. I again began to correct him and explain Washington state law, but was again cut off by him saying that, “oh, so the law I’m required to follow in this hotel, you aren’t required to?” Before I had the opportunity to reply another member of the hotel staff who had walked behind the counter a moment earlier asked what the problem was. I was cut off yet again by the security manager as he went on to tell her that I was refusing to remove or conceal the weapon, that I was brandishing, and that I was mistaken on law. I continued to seek a peaceful resolution, telling him that I was not refusing to remove the weapon but that I needed a valid, factual reason to do so. He cut me off, snapping back that I was refusing to remove it as he had told me to do so half an hour previous. He then turned back to the lady and asked her what he should do about it. She simply told him to call the Spokane PD front desk and ask them about the legality of it all.

At this point, I was hoping that some progress was being made. The security manager asked what the Spokane PD front desk number was. The Lady said she didn’t know and set a phonebook on the counter. Without even opening it, he dialed 911 on his cell phone telling me that there was little point in doing this as he knew he was right and I wrong. He then told the dispatcher that he was looking for the front desk number, that there was a guy with a gun refusing to remove it and brandishing it. He was asked questions such as had I drawn the weapon, made threats, etc. All of which he answered truthfully, save for the brandishing accusation. The dispatcher was not permitted to tell him the actual law, and instead directed him to the front desk whose number he then wrote down on a small pad of paper before hanging up.

He then dialed the front desk number while asking if I would be upstairs. I did not answer as I was not going anywhere. He then glanced at me, put the phone to his ear and picked up the pad of paper before walking away without explanation to a small lounge area, where I promptly followed. He tossed the pad down on a coffee table in a very agitated manner before taking a seat on a couch. I took a seat opposite of him. Not receiving an answer the first time, he hung up, paused for a moment, then dialed again. After a brief discussion in which he once again elaborated all my wrongs, he hung up the phone and told me they said it was illegal.

I continued to attempt to argue fact, but he blatantly cut me off, telling me that not only was it state law, but it was hotel policy. To this I began to reply that if he had said that in the first place, showed me a written copy of policy, I would have been more than willing to place the weapon in my vehicle in the parking garage, but he shot back that it didn’t matter as it was state law. He then told me that this was no longer debatable. That I needed to remove the weapon, put it in my hotel room, or he would call the police and they would make me remove it. At this time the convention was close to beginning so I didn’t bother to argue further with him. I went upstairs and removed the weapon to comply with convention policy and took some time to cool down as I was thoroughly frustrated at this point.

My fiancée and I then returned to the convention and tried to push the unpleasant incident out of our minds and enjoy our vacation. I carry my sidearm for personal defense. At times I require a cane to walk due to a leg problem and thus, my sidearm is sometimes my only protection. Being in an unfamiliar city, larger than the ones I’m commonly used to, I feel it all the more important to carry. Therefore, I refused to leave the hotel without carrying my sidearm. Lacking a concealed permit (soon to be remedied), my only legal option is open carry. Therefore, whenever we would go out to eat or such I would place the weapon on my belt and discreetly make my way out of and into the hotel, so as not to cause trouble.

The day after the initial incident, my fiancée and I went out for a very enjoyable lunch with some very dear companions with good food and great company. It was a great day and all was well until we returned to the hotel to find a group of hotel and convention staff waiting in the lobby to pounce. The con staff stayed off to the side, having been dragged back into the whole affair but knowing it was none of their concern. They didn’t say a word. The hotel staff, however, was less than pleasant. One individual in particular (this was one of the desk staff that was oh so polite and happy to see us when we checked in on Thursday) approached me and in a very rude tone proceeded to inform me that I had been told multiple times that I could not have the gun on the premises, that it was against policy, that I was breaking the law, and that if I persisted and did not take the weapon to my room and leave it there, that I would be arrested and permanently “86’d” from the hotel and barred from future events there.

At this point, I was fed up and I simply told her I wasn’t going to argue anymore, that I was already headed to my room to remove it. She didn’t drop it and again stated that if it was seen again, that would be it. She then took a sheet of paper off the front desk counter and pointed out a highlighted portion on it that stated that no smoking, no pets, and no firearms were permitted on the hotel premises. To this I replied “thank so much for informing me of this when I wore the gun in to check in”. She got even more huffy at this point, stating that it had been signed when I had checked in. I flatly stated that I hadn’t signed anything at check in, to which she replied that the individual who had checked me in had. I simply shook my head and walked past her to use the ratty service elevator as both guest elevators were out of service for the vast majority of our stay.

Another hotel staff member proceeded to follow my fiancée and me onto the service elevator, assumedly to tend to tasks elsewhere in the hotel. When we reached our floor, my fiancée and I stepped of the elevator, again followed by the hotel staffer. Half way to our room, I turned to find him doing a poor job of trying to discreetly follow us to the room, at which point I asked in an irritated manner if I could help him. To this he replied that he was told to find out what room we were staying in. My fiancée and I both demanded why and he replied that it was “for my own personal knowledge. Actually not even my personal knowledge, but for the hotels” and that we could either tell him or he could follow us. To this I answered with the number, extremely irritated by this blatant harassment. He then told me he appreciated it, and turned to leave to which I replied that I did not.

Later on, thanks in great part to my fiancée and one of my dear friends, as well as the hotel’s night shift, a middle ground was established in which I could remove the weapon from my room and continue to carry it when going to other places without the threat of arrest. It was transported to my vehicle in the garage where it remained except for when I left the hotel at which time it resided securely on my hip. While I feel this was an extreme hassle, it was better than nothing at all. The hotel night shift, unlike their day time counter parts were quite friendly and helpful. Other than these incidents, I’ve only had good experiences in Spokane.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I was attending the same hotel and attending the same convention as Gryphon. We will be having an alert about this to hammer the corporate offices of the Ridpath.

surfj9009

imported post

Damn it!!! This pisses me off. I called the SPD front desk once before to inquire about the legality of OC a few months back.

If it was Officer Jennifer DeRuwe that informed him it was illegal, than she is busted. I know she knows the law.

Do you know who he spoke with?

G27

imported post

I can understand your frustration but I would like to a point a few wrongs. First off, the hotel is private property. If they ask you to do something and you don't, they have every right to ask you to leave and "86" you. Other wise you'd be tresspassing. I don't like iteither, but that also doesn't mean you have to give them money. You could have checked into many another hotel.You mention waiting for them in the lounge. I hope you don't mean a bar area. Unlike Idaho, it is illegal to be in possession of a firearm in any place that is designated as an over 21 area by the Liqour Control Board.. This would be a gross misdemeanor. This applies even to people with a CPL.

just_a_car

imported post

Lonnie, from what I read in this post, I don't want you to hold anything back on these guys. They deserve next to the worst (the worst is for officers of the law that actually deprive you of your rights through detainment or arrest). Not that I would expect any less, but as a con-goer myself, I want these jerks to 'feel the pain' of the severe and constant harassment they caused this gentleman. Especially since their Manager of Security attempted to coerce/force him to commit a crime by concealing without a license.

Sic 'em!

(If you need any help in this, you know all you need do is ask. I think a FOIA on the Spokane PD call would be well-worth the time, as that would determine if the manager of security was flat-out lying when he said they told him it was illegal, which I'm sure he was since Spokane PD knows better.)

surfj9009

imported post

G27 wrote:
I can understand your frustration but I would like to a point a few wrongs. First off, the hotel is private property. If they ask you to do something and you don't, they have every right to ask you to leave and "86" you. Other wise you'd be tresspassing. I don't like iteither, but that also doesn't mean you have to give them money. You could have checked into many another hotel.You mention waiting for them in the lounge. I hope you don't mean a bar area. Unlike Idaho, it is illegal to be in possession of a firearm in any place that is designated as an over 21 area by the Liqour Control Board.. This would be a gross misdemeanor. This applies even to people with a CPl
Well, they should have stated their company policy before calling the cops then, don't you think? That would have ctreated a different story from the git-go.

AND THE MAIN THING YOU ARE MISSING IS THIS, THE POLICE DESK TOLD THE GUY IT WAS ILLEGAL!!!!!

This is bs! That is just another reason exactly why I am going into the city council this next week. That officer should have known the law, and if it was Jennifer DaRuwe, then I know she knows the law. She is the one who usually mans the General Information Police Desk.

Did you file for a public records request yet to obtain more information?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I think that continuing to pester the hotel for resolution was not necessary - once you told the guy he was wrong and to leave you alone, you could have left it at that. By continuing to pester them, you forced them to make a decision to disarm or throw you out.

G27

imported post

I never said it was right to be treated like that. I have worked in the hotel industry for many a years. You should have pushed further up the ladder. People who claim to have power really don't. It's all at the management level. And while many hotels are part of chains, the land itself is usually owned by the owner of the building. So if the general manager (who speaks for theowner)says he doesn't want firearms in his property, he genereally has every right.

As far as the help desk issue you really do not know what was said. You personally never talked to them so you have no idea if he just lied about what she said. The only way to know is to do a FOIA.

Washington is generally a very good state for open carrying, and I am sorry that you ran into such problems.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

G27 wrote:
I can understand your frustration but I would like to a point a few wrongs. First off, the hotel is private property. If they ask you to do something and you don't, they have every right to ask you to leave and "86" you. Other wise you'd be tresspassing. I don't like iteither, but that also doesn't mean you have to give them money. You could have checked into many another hotel.You mention waiting for them in the lounge. I hope you don't mean a bar area. Unlike Idaho, it is illegal to be in possession of a firearm in any place that is designated as an over 21 area by the Liqour Control Board.. This would be a gross misdemeanor. This applies even to people with a CPL.
OK, wait - what is the precise rule of law in WA on this - I recall reading that such premises must be posted for the "over 21 area" gun ban to be in effect.

joeroket

imported post

I have to agree with Mike on this one. It doesn't sound to me like he was being coerced or forced into covering up, he was given the option of doing it or removing the gun from ther premises. Also don't get so pissed at the Spokane Police. No one but the security guy and the desk officer knows for sure what was said and they may be the only two that will ever know. To my knowledge thier is no requirement for the dept. to document and keep record of an inquiry of this type.

joeroket

imported post

Mike wrote:
G27 wrote:
OK, wait - what is the precise rule of law in WA on this - I recall reading that such premises must be posted for the "over 21 area" gun ban to be in effect.
Yes Mike, it must be posted as off limits to person under 21 by the liquor control board.

G27

imported post

I have never been to any bar that does not have the "No minors allowed/Over people over 21 allowed." These ares are very clearly marked with the signs generally in multiple places.

joeroket

imported post

G27 wrote:
I have never been to any bar that does not have the "No minors allowed/Over people over 21 allowed." These ares are very clearly marked with the signs generally in multiple places.
Same here. They will get a nice fine if they do not have the right signage posted correctly.

Gryphon

imported post

I'm sure that I could have handled the situation better. This incident has reinforced in my mind that I need to purchase and carry a voice recorder from now on. I'm not used to individuals being so misinformed as to state law as the security manager was. His main argument, not to mention the only one he gave up until the end was that it was against state law. he never mentioned anything about hotel policy until right at the end. He did push for me to conceal, but could have been more forceful on that matter.

Also, as I stated, I studied up on state law weeks in advance of my trip and therefore avoided any area marked as off limits to underaged persons, including any alcohol serving establishments. Not much for drinking so that wasn't difficult.

Loneviking

imported post

Just a suggestion, but as a resident of Nevada, I've made little strips of laminated paper that fit into my wallet that have all of the Nevada law with code citations on it. Someone doesn't believe that open carry is legal? Here you go, this is the law. You think my weapon is concealed? Here's the definition...etc. Recording conversations in some states can get you in trouble and it's hard to argue when given the specific state statutes.

just_a_car

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
I don’t know where this place is, but it sounds like a candidate for the next lunch.
Subject line reads "... at Spokane Ridpath". ;)

Can't say I'm too thrilled about going over the mountains for the next lunch, honestly.

Shy_Panda

imported post

This sort of suprises me a little seeing as how that Ridpath is where everybody in Spokane goes before they ship out to basic training for each of the respective services. Even though I don't have some pretty negative memories of that hotel, I am all for a meeting there to try and convince them that they are complete morons. It would be nice to see a huge showing over on this side of the state considering we have members who travel to both sides for the OC meetings.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Gryphon wrote:
I'm not used to individuals being so misinformed as to state law as the security manager was. His main argument, not to mention the only one he gave up until the end was that it was against state law. he never mentioned anything about hotel policy until right at the end. He did push for me to conceal, but could have been more forceful on that matter.
I called the hotel tonight and spoke to Robert, apparently the senior employee on duty - Robert said he knew all about "that guy" and proceeded to rant and rave about him not knowing the rules of conduct signed for him by a thrid party at check-in. Robert admitted that the hotel was mistaken as to legality of open carry but said that it was irrelevant because its unlawful to carry guns in any establishment serving alcohol - I corrected him on that so he ranted raved thart "that's what any bar employee will tell you."

Robert then went back to the disclosure at registration as ending the debate - I explained that the hotel's notice was deficient because (1) the system obviously did not work to inform all hotel patrons of the rule and (2) that persons making reservations did not get notice, and so the hotel was bound to accept gun owners as very few hotels ban gun carry and absent proper notice, the hotel is bound to accept all legal customers by both contract law (implied contract) and the Law of Innkeepers.

Robert seemed incredulous, arguing that the rule was the same as a "no smoking" rule - I countered with the fact that the smoker merely has to go outside to smoke, but what's the gun owner to do after arricing at the hotel from a long journey? Robert said he's not supposed to have a gun at the hotel - I said OK, so if I make a reservation, without notice from you of any gun ban, then drive across the US, now I can't stay there?

Robert just became irritated and insisted that it was illegal anyway and hung up on me.