• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trouble at the Spokane Ridpath

400HP

imported post

Can the hotel cast a wide blanket "no sidearms", even in your hotel room? That to me is bothersome as the room is your temporary housing.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
I am torn with wanting to have a lunch there and shove state law in their face, yet at the same time I REALLY don't want to throw any type of revenue their way.
Find and contact the owner(s) Write a polite letter explaining your confusion on their policies. Ask them if they accept lawfully carried firearms. Cite applicable state laws. Ask for a copy in writing of their policy. Take it from there. Simple enough really.

j2l3

imported post

The Spokane Ridath is managed by the below entity. This surprised me. I think a written complaint is in order for your treatment by the hotel staff. They should have handled this much better. I have, and still do, work in the hotel security field, as a manager now, and would not tolerate anyone treating a guest like that.

I also feel that a few hundred copies of the WashingtonGun Rights pamphlet, sent to the hotel manager, at the second address might have some small impact.

Red LionHotels Corporation
201 W.North River Dr., Suite 100
Spokane, WA 99201

Bus - 509-459-6100
Fax - 509-325-7324

[suB][suP]West Coast Ridpath Hotel[/suP][/suB]
[suB][suP]515 W Sprague Ave, Spokane, WA 99201 [/suP][/suB]

[suB][suP](509) 838-2711[/suP][/suB]

j2l3

imported post

400HP wrote:
Can the hotel cast a wide blanket "no sidearms", even in your hotel room? That to me is bothersome as the room is your temporary housing.
Yes, while you have the right to do legal things in your room, the hotel is still private property and they can dictate what they will allow on the property.

Phssthpok

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
The Spokane Ridath is managed by the below entity. This surprised me. I think a written complaint is in order for your treatment by the hotel staff. They should have handled this much better. I have, and still do, work in the hotel security field, as a manager now, and would not tolerate anyone treating a guest like that.

I also feel that a few hundred copies of the WashingtonGun Rights pamphlet, sent to the hotel manager, at the second address might have some small impact.

Red LionHotels Corporation
201 W.North River Dr., Suite 100
Spokane, WA 99201

Bus - 509-459-6100
Fax - 509-325-7324

[sub][sup]West Coast Ridpath Hotel[/sup][/sub]
[sub][sup]515 W Sprague Ave, Spokane, WA 99201 [/sup][/sub]

[sub][sup](509) 838-2711[/sup][/sub]

I'm surprised as well since I've been to the Red Lion Inn at the Quay in vancouver a few times for their champagne brunch with my mother and never had a problem. I had to swing wide of the lounge area when they went to seat me, and got a few interesing looks from the staff but no adverse interactions.
dunno.gif

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

j2l3 wrote:
400HP wrote:
Yes, while you have the right to do legal things in your room, the hotel is still private property and they can dictate what they will allow on the property.
Well, actually they can't just dictate anything under the Law of Innkeepers.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

One technique to use against hotels who "spring" a gun ban on you at check-in, is to simply demand a refund of your credit card hold for the room - and if they refuse saying you arrived after 4PM or whatever, then refute the charge when your credit card statement arrives on the grounds that (1) you did not obtain any hotel services and (2) were refused hotel services despite complying with the terms of your reservation.

Can you imagine a hotel booked up and a bunch of rooms go empty because guests were barred from entrance or registration due to legal gun carry?

John Hardin

imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
I am torn with wanting to have a lunch there and shove state law in their face, yet at the same time I REALLY don't want to throw any type of revenue their way.
So order in a pizza. I got so pissed at the poor service at a Pizza Hut once I very nearly called Dominoes and had them deliver to me there. Can you see a Dominoes guy coming to the door of a Pizza Hut and saying "Who ordered the pizza?" :)

surfj9009

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
Shy_Panda wrote:
So order in a pizza. I got so pissed at the poor service at a Pizza Hut once I very nearly called Dominoes and had them deliver to me there. Can you see a Dominoes guy coming to the door of a Pizza Hut and saying "Who ordered the pizza?" :)
:celebrate:celebrate:celebrateOH HELL YEAH!

I GOTTA REMEMBER THAT FOR WHEN SOMEBODY REALLY PISSES ME OFF.

heresolong

imported post

Seems to me that a simple statement that you were within your legal rights to carry openly and unless they had a written corporate policy against it then you would be carrying until you left would have sufficed. They can then call the police (at which point you will spend a few minutes talking to them and then go about your business since you are in the right) or they can provide a written corporate policy (at which point you would have the right to demand a full refund of your charges and go check in at another hotel). I would think that spending hours of your time trying to get them to understand the law when they are obviously hostile to your argument did nothing but irritate you. Not saying you did anything wrong but the idea is to learn from our experiences.

Any thoughts on this tactic? They can't expel you unless they can provide a written policy as far as I know, and calling the police wouldn't get them very far. Not to mention the negative feedback from calling the cops on a guest who wasn't breaking the law.

Tekman

imported post

Anyone email or post mail the hotel manager a copy of the gun rights the flyer? I think several of us should. Also, is there a Spokane PD training bulliten regarding OC? If so that should be included.

j2l3

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
The Red Lion does not own the Ridpath anymore. Their owners are an independent company out of Las Vegas now.

I didn't say Red Lion owned it. I said Red Lion managed it. Different animal. The management company generally sets hotel policy and the owners rake in the cash and are generally hands off the daily operations.

Shy_Panda

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
Shy_Panda wrote:
That is an amazing idea!:monkey I am thinking that this should be the next meeting place for the east side meeting in May... so who has a preferance on pizza? Personally I enjoy Round Table.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

"This sort of suprises me a little seeing as how that Ridpath is where everybody in Spokane goes before they ship out to basic training for each of the respective services."

Can't take weapons to basic training- not even pocket knives of any length- so it wouldn't come up in that context.

dlnwoody

imported post

I think one of the main part of the detail was left out. If Cryphon was told one time that it had to be concealed then the next day he was told that he can't have it at the hotel. Also the security guy said if he is not allowed to carry it is illigal, could that not be for employes. Just my 2 cents.

John Hardin

imported post

dlnwoody wrote:
Also the security guy said if he is not allowed to carry it is illigal, could that not be for employes.
The law doesn't prohibit employees from carrying at work; in fact, there are explicit exceptions allowing concealed carry at work without a CPL. Any such prohibition upon employees would be a company policy and would not have force of law.

obIANAL: I could be wrong.

Shy_Panda

imported post

thebastidge wrote:
"This sort of suprises me a little seeing as how that Ridpath is where everybody in Spokane goes before they ship out to basic training for each of the respective services."

Can't take weapons to basic training- not even pocket knives of any length- so it wouldn't come up in that context.
I am aware of that fact, I just would have expected a little bit more of a friendly attitude considering the political leanings of most of the individuals in the armed services.