• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Being Asked about OCing...

SickTag

imported post

I know there are a lot of threads out there about OCing and being asked about it while you are OCing, but I would rather hear about in state stories myself.

My friends and I were out shooting one Wednesday in Lincoln forest and decided to head to Alamogordo to get some food. We left the shotguns and rifles in the cars but had our handguns on our belts and did not give them second thoughts. While in Mc Donalds the local High School let out and while we were stanging waiting to order some high school kid started asking questions.

Are you guys cops?

I said nope.

He said oh, you have a concealed permit?

My buddy smiled and said nope, these are not concealed.

The kid looked really confused and said, oh yeah...ok.

Well we stopped thinking about them until after we were eating and talking about what we were eaching planning on buying next when some of the guy's friends sat next to us and were trying to impress us and their girlfriends about how many guns they owned and how much they knew about guns. We tried not to laugh too much.

The one kid was saying he owned a couple of AK-47s etc... and he must have been 15 or so and that they were real powerful and they were .28s and you could change the barrel to shoot .22s!

I still cannot stop laughing.

I have been OCing for a while and have had next to no questions about it. I do not feel like I care enough to "educate" people of our gun laws. Hell, I took a 15 hour class just to learn them and I do not feel like going through them just for those curious about them. I have heard of people talking with whomever asks them so they can teach. Is it wrong that I really don't care most of the time? Sometimes I am with my family or have a hundred things going on in my head of things to do that day and most of the time my gun is not my first concern, nor how others feel about it.

I have noticed, however, most people just do not care. And the people who seem nervous about it are those who look like trouble in the first place.

Just some of my thoughts on being asked about my firearm and why I am carrying.

MDA_II

imported post

I have been open carrying more and more around Farmington /Aztec.

Most people think I am Law Enforcement I think since of the way I normally dress and my look, and most people don't even notice.

Only have had some gang banger types in Auto Zone notice and get a nervous look, and leave quickly. I figure if they got nervous they must have had a reason to want to leave (maybe thinking about outstanding warrants or something...)

I've had one person ask me, with a thick Boston accent about OC, and I simply told them that I was not a LEO, and that in NM it's entirely legal to Open Carry.

I don't feel I have to educate anyone about it, but if someone asks that is my standard line I think, along with the right of self-protection, if I am feeling a bit political and social....

ScottyT

imported post

Usually I OC with the intent to educate the sheeple. If I don't feel like talking or if I don't have the time, I will CC.

A little pamphlet or something summarizing State gun laws goes a long way. I always keep one in my back pocket. That way you can educate without saying more than a few words to them...

Dafey

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
Usually I OC with the intent to educate the sheeple. If I don't feel like talking or if I don't have the time, I will CC.

A little pamphlet or something summarizing State gun laws goes a long way. I always keep one in my back pocket. That way you can educate without saying more than a few words to them...
Where do you get these pamphlets from? :D