• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster I Was Considering for My Future Colt Model 1911 Pistol

Polygon

imported post

Hey guys,

With my coming tax refund, I was interested in purchasing a Colt Model 1911 pistol. Also, I was going to OC with it at some point, and I entertained the idea of getting a M1912 holster and a fine leather belt of some sort. Do any of you use a M1912 type holster and can attest to a good quality one to pick up?

Here is a shot of the holster I was interested in:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/polygon86/AWU1912.jpg

Thanks,
Poly

eyesopened

imported post

No offense, but if I were going to OC a pistol for defense, that'd be my last choice. It's got a nice nostalgic look to it, and if that's what you're going for. To me, the flap would get in the way of me drawing the pistol if the need should arise. Blackhawk, Safariland, Desantis etc, all make holsters with rentention methods that don't add extra time/movement to the draw.

Polygon

imported post

That is true about the flap, I collect U.S. Army militaria which is why the holster appealed to me in the first place. I'll look around and see what other alternatives there are.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There are hundreds of holster alternatives for the 1911. I agree with eyesopened as to the flap. I'm sure you can find something historic looking while also more functional for self-defense access.

Sa45auto

imported post

I have thought about getting a holster like that for field work, where protecting my gun was a top priority, BUT when protecting myself I have opted for a holster with a more modern retention system, such as a thumb break or Bianchi's carrylok. :)