• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster problems

WhiteFeather

imported post

I've gotten myself a case of the I want something that isn't offered yet.

I really like the draw of my Serpa holster, I even enjoy that look. However I am not enjoying the rubbing and wear it puts on my sidearm. Not that Taurus has the best finishes but it really did a number on my old PT1911. And with just having purchased the new Smith I am in a position to want to keep it as nice as possible.

Kydex and Injected Molded plastics do not offer this in terms of use. They do however offer the retention wanted when OC'ing. I do OC quite often and I like knowing that its going to be a struggle to get my gun from me if you were skilled enough to knock this ninja (jk) out.

Now the question is, does Leather offer me the kind of wear reduction I seek without sacrificing the retention I want. To really add to the mix I cannot stand thumb breaks. I have a Cow Town three position holster that was a thumb break (until I cut it off) and although for CC its great! I do not like to OC with it and I have not used enough to notice if it wears the gun anymore or less than the plastic.

So I am considering getting a Leather but I am not sure which one I want.

Bianchi makes a nice leather holster that has a lever mounted towards the back. They say you use your middle finger to disengage the lock and release the fire arm. This seems really unatural and I am not conviced that I will like it.

DeSantis makes a leather holster with a button on the inside that you disengage with your thumb, this looks much better but they do not make them for 1911's as of yet.

I have not found any other holsters with the type of retention system I am looking for and to boot I don't know that leather holsters are that much easier on your sidearm. So any advice is welcome and I sit poised to read about your experiences.

FogRider

imported post

I really don't know if the leather will wear less, but I have heard of people putting some moleskin inside their Serpas. I have heard it reduces wear on the finish and reduces the little bit of wiggle in the holster.

eyesopened

imported post

I've only been carrying about a year, but from what I hear any holster will wear the finish on a pistol. A pistol is a tool, it doesn't have to be pretty as long as it functions reliably IMO. If you're worried about rust on the metal, just oil it weekly/bi-weekly basis. Or maybe get the pistol coated with something more durable?

Mjolnir

imported post

Any holster will wear on the finish, how bad depends on the pistol's finish & to a lesser extent the holster itself.

Some examples of superb holsters are: http://www.miltsparks.com/
http://www.comp-tac.com/ http://www.kramerleather.com/ http://www.ravenconcealment.com/
http://www.themalabarfront.com/

Lou Alessi, he's not yet made a web site, but his holsters are world class and Uncle lou is a stand up guy http://www.lightningarms.com/alessileather.htm

Check out
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=17511

and

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=10&t=28422

FogRider

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
I've only been carrying about a year, but from what I hear any holster will wear the finish on a pistol. A pistol is a tool, it doesn't have to be pretty as long as it functions reliably IMO. If you're worried about rust on the metal, just oil it weekly/bi-weekly basis. Or maybe get the pistol coated with something more durable?

While the finish does not have to be perfect for the gun to function, there's certainly nothing wrong with wanting to keep nice things nice.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FogRider wrote:
... I have heard of people putting some moleskin inside their Serpas. I have heard it reduces wear on the finish and reduces the little bit of wiggle in the holster.
I know several people who have done this and have been happy with the results and a couple who haven't been. I plan on doing it. I'm starting to see some wear even on the venerable XD.

Kivuli

imported post

Hmm. I might try that then. My USP .45 fullsize fits extremely snugly in my Serpa and, while I haven't had the Serpa long, I'm concerned about long-term finish wear. I'm also a bit worried that putting moleskin in it might make it not fit at all.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Kivuli wrote:
Hmm. I might try that then. My USP .45 fullsize fits extremely snugly in my Serpa and, while I haven't had the Serpa long, I'm concerned about long-term finish wear. I'm also a bit worried that putting moleskin in it might make it not fit at all.
You just put in pieces at points of wear. For example, most of my wear is on the left upper edge of the slide. There is some play in my holster around the slide and when I holster holster/draw that edge rubs in the holster so that is my main area of concern. Of course then there is the concern that by taking up space on the left side I'll put pressure on the right edge of the slide and create a different wear problem. It will take time to get it exactly right.

I'm not overly concerned about it. It's a combat pistol and holster wear is just part of the deal so if it doesn't help or causes issues I'll just take out the moleskin and live with the wear pattern.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

My Safariland ALS holster is "suede lined", as the package puts it. There is some sort of suede like material covering the entire inside of the holster that has protected the finish of my sidearm very well thus far. I'm assuming the moleskin trick on a serpa would have a similar effect. But, like others have said, I appreciate a little wear on my handgun. It adds character, and shows that I actually use the dang thing, not just take it out once a monthto shoot at the range. A gun can always be refinished, too.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DreQo wrote:
My Safariland ALS holster is "suede lined", as the package puts it. There is some sort of suede like material covering the entire inside of the holster that has protected the finish of my sidearm very well thus far. I'm assuming the moleskin trick on a serpa would have a similar effect. But, like others have said, I appreciate a little wear on my handgun. It adds character, and shows that I actually use the dang thing, not just take it out once a monthto shoot at the range. A gun can always be refinished, too.
See, that's the real reason I got the Blackhawk CQC -- I didn't want to keep the gun all nice in a lined Safariland ALS. I wanted to instill it with character through holster wear. Just don't tell Mjolnir as he thinks I actually like the Blackhawk.

:p

Seriously though, lined? No s**t? I did not know that. If Safariland holsters were carried by any of the local gunstores I might have gone that direction instead of Blackhawk. Sounds nice.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
DreQo wrote:
See, that's the real reason I got the Blackhawk CQC -- I didn't want to keep the gun all nice in a lined Safariland ALS. I wanted to instill it with character through holster wear. Just don't tell Mjolnir as he thinks I actually like the Blackhawk.

:p

Seriously though, lined? No s**t? I did not know that. If Safariland holsters were carried by any of the local gunstores I might have gone that direction instead of Blackhawk. Sounds nice.
lol Yeah, I was actually surprised when I first pulled my holster out of its package. I remembered reading that it was lined with something...but this thing is actually lined with suede! It looks like the heavy wear areas have smoothed out inside the holster, but not rubbed completely through the suede, so that's kool. But yeah, I haven't seen Safariland holsters for sale at any of the local places around here, either. On the other hand, every LEO I see uses them. *shrug*

WhiteFeather

imported post

You guys are the best!

I always love reading the advice I get from this board. I have been thinking about trying one of the ALS holsters but as mentioned no one around here sells them so checking one out in person is hard.

A blind date holster may be in order so we will see.

Thanks to all!

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Word of caution on lined holsters, be aware that skins which are chrome tanned, especially suede because those chemicals are harmful to a gun's finish, especially blued. Suede will also retain more grime than the leather which doesn't offer the best conditions for your pistol to sit in.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Shorts wrote:
Word of caution on lined holsters, be aware that skins which are chrome tanned, especially suede because those chemicals are harmful to a gun's finish, especially blued. Suede will also retain more grime than the leather which doesn't offer the best conditions for your pistol to sit in.

The part in red there is no where near a complete sentence, but I think I got the gist of what you were saying. Since Safariland was the only brand mentioned here with suede lined holsters, I'm curious if you really think that Safariland would intentionally put something in their holster that is supposedly known to cause damage to finishes, in order to protect the gun?

I'd be interested in seeing some sources referencing what you mentioned, so I would know what to look out for in the future.

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Thanks maestro for grading my work. :D

If you're intention is to blow my info out of the water by pouring on sheer skepticism, well that's your perogative I guess. If your intention is to put words into my mouth that I'm accusing Safariland of some sinister plot to ruin guns by using certain leathers, you're mistaken my friend. So forgive my tempory lack of writing skill and take my words for what they're intended.

Its late here and I'm pain meds - a coherent sentence wasn't my main concern, merely to inform the folks in the thread to be aware of what leather they stick their guns in. Especially when I start seeing talk about inserting skins to pad. I'm saying, do your research before you just start lining it with anything. You could be doing more harm than good.

I make my own holsters and in the process I must be aware of the chemicals I use. For example, the Vinegaroon process for dyeing black. Unless the ph is restored a bit to levels that the leather started as or is sealed very well, that acid in the leather will eat a nice finish off a gun that is put in a Vinegarooned holster. I've got to turn in for the night. Google is your friend, look up leather tanning and related information.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

WhiteFeather wrote:
I've gotten myself a case of the I want something that isn't offered yet.

I really like the draw of my Serpa holster, I even enjoy that look. However I am not enjoying the rubbing and wear it puts on my sidearm. Not that Taurus has the best finishes but it really did a number on my old PT1911. And with just having purchased the new Smith I am in a position to want to keep it as nice as possible.

Kydex and Injected Molded plastics do not offer this in terms of use. They do however offer the retention wanted when OC'ing. I do OC quite often and I like knowing that its going to be a struggle to get my gun from me if you were skilled enough to knock this ninja (jk) out.

Now the question is, does Leather offer me the kind of wear reduction I seek without sacrificing the retention I want. To really add to the mix I cannot stand thumb breaks. I have a Cow Town three position holster that was a thumb break (until I cut it off) and although for CC its great! I do not like to OC with it and I have not used enough to notice if it wears the gun anymore or less than the plastic.

So I am considering getting a Leather but I am not sure which one I want.

Bianchi makes a nice leather holster that has a lever mounted towards the back. They say you use your middle finger to disengage the lock and release the fire arm. This seems really unatural and I am not conviced that I will like it.

DeSantis makes a leather holster with a button on the inside that you disengage with your thumb, this looks much better but they do not make them for 1911's as of yet.

I have not found any other holsters with the type of retention system I am looking for and to boot I don't know that leather holsters are that much easier on your sidearm. So any advice is welcome and I sit poised to read about your experiences.

Do you worry about the wear and tear on your hammers, wrenches, or drivers? They are tools. They serve a purpose. If your carry gun is such a pristine piece of artwork that you are worried about rub marks on the finish, carry something else.

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Do you worry about the wear and tear on your hammers, wrenches, or drivers? They are tools. They serve a purpose. If your carry gun is such a pristine piece of artwork that you are worried about rub marks on the finish, carry something else.
For CC, I agree with you. However for OC the gun is part of my wardrobe and should look nice. That's why when I get a little more money I'll have a Glock AND a 1911.

FogRider

imported post

asforme wrote:
For CC, I agree with you. However for OC the gun is part of my wardrobe and should look nice. That's why when I get a little more money I'll have a Glock AND a 1911.
Personally, I find that normal wear looks good, abnormal does not. I have a great looking Ruger M77. The bluing on the bolt lever is wearing a little, which looks great. The scratch down the stock from where my clumsy ass fell down a mountain, not so much. My XD45 looks great to me with the little bit of wear on the moving parts (it's not really wearing from the holsters, I don't know why. I look at stuff like that and see a piece that is well taken care of, yet it is not just something that hangs out in a cabinet. I suppose it's all just personal opinion though. But really, and carry piece is going to wear if you carry it long enough, it's just a fact of life. I suppose you could do like the old well-off ranchers and have a normal carry gun and your Sunday-go-to-meeting piece :lol:

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FogRider wrote:
I suppose you could do like the old well-off ranchers and have a normal carry gun and your Sunday-go-to-meeting piece :lol:
That's what I'd like to do. When I running around in jeans, take the Glock. When I'm out for a nice dinner I need to get a shiny Kimber. Of course a nice shiny gun wouldn't look good in kydex anyway IMO, so it'd of course be in a nice leather holster.

The wife's got to coordinate her shoes, I think I can coordinate my guns.