• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster problems

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Shorts wrote:
Thanks maestro for grading my work. :D .........
I wasn't trying to bea jerk, I was being very serious. I carry with a suede lined safariland holster, so I was very surprised when you said specifically that suede lined holsters can cause problems.

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

lol Apologies - I was hurting last night so I wasn't my best.

Suedes use chrome-tanning when it gets process. Those chemicals will harm a finish. Many holster makers are aware of this so they make efforts not to use the types of theathers (mainly liners) that will be harmful. I believe there is a new process now for suede that isn't harmful as the chrom-tanning process. I'll see what I can find today. I'm still on meds (for teeth) so I'm a bit loopy :p

My general take on lined holsters is I stay away from them. Juts my personal decision.

PoppaGary

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Personally, I find that normal wear looks good, abnormal does not. I have a great looking Ruger M77. The bluing on the bolt lever is wearing a little, which looks great. The scratch down the stock from where my clumsy ass fell down a mountain, not so much.
Maybe true, FogRider, but those are the things that give a gun personality and something to recollect when unable to take to the field or handing down to your kin.

Gary

FogRider

imported post

PoppaGary wrote:
Maybe true, FogRider, but those are the things that give a gun personality and something to recollect when unable to take to the field or handing down to your kin.

Gary
That's absolutely true, which is why I have made no effort to fix them, or the scratches from when my dad fell down the side of a mountain. I was just saying if I had my druthers, the only wear on my guns would be normal wear, but you can't have everything I guess.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

FogRider wrote:
I really don't know if the leather will wear less, but I have heard of people putting some moleskin inside their Serpas. I have heard it reduces wear on the finish and reduces the little bit of wiggle in the holster.
I did this long ago, and it works great. At first the pistol was a little too snug, but a bunch of practice draws fixed that.

moleskin.jpg

dojpros

imported post

FWIW

When I see somebody with a pristine gun it almost always means that it is not shot very much, it has not be practiced with or carried very much and the carrier is not focused a the essential functionality of carrying a weapon OC or CC.

OTOH, when I see a weapon that has a lot of honest holsterwear ( in a holster that matches the belt and looks like it was made to carry a gun )or a weapon in a holster that has a little drag mark where the oil of the index finger has made a trail because the holster has been used for thousands of presentations( draws) I tend to think that the carrier has a clue. These are stereotypes I know. I am just saying...

thx997303

imported post

That moleskin SGT Jensen? When I get my XD, I am going to get a serpa, and I want it to not wear my finish too much.