• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Problems at Best Buy

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

RetLeo99 wrote:
...This left us with a piddly charge of Inducing Panic. But we couldn't even get that because the brain surgeon store clerk, who was the only one in the store at the time, decided to go macho and testified that he wasn't alarmed at all...
You bring up a point much discussed here - that is the threat, or the actual issuance of a ticket (or is it "summons"?) for Inducing Panic or Disorderly Conduct. These possible chargeshave stopped many a potential OCer from doing so - but one must ask "How can I exercise a right without such worry?

In reading the law, it seems like to be guilty of one or the other, the "alarm" must be real - a standard that is in many cases very subjective.

You have come to this site, presumably because you support the exercise of OC (or maybe because you're a SPY! LOL) - so what do you think about the question above?

Bluebead

imported post

I know a lot of younger LEO's that do not know that OC is legal. The act of OCing is not inducing panic. Just because someone gets scared when they see a firearm being carried, is(or should be) their problem. The sheep are just not used to seeing it happen anymore:cry:

ron-357

imported post

RetLeo99 wrote:
Reminds me of the time many years ago when one of our fine upstandings walked into a local Convenience Store wearing an old cowboy type revolver. You know the type; one look and you decide this idiot just HAS to go to jail for something.

Well, he was carrying this old revolver completely open. Had an old cowboy holster that tied around his leg and everything. Had a Stetson on and the whole getup. I guess I don't need to say this guy was well known to us and his elevator stopped short of the top floor.

Well, we placed him under arrest, went through the whole yada yada; even found a crack pipe in his pocket on the pat down.

Next, a trip to the Prosecuting Attorney, where we were shocked to find out that we couldn't charge him with ANYTHING!! The weapon was out and visible. Couldn't use the crack pipe because the Judge ruled the arrest wasn't lawful to begin with.

This left us with a piddly charge of Inducing Panic. But we couldn't even get that because the brain surgeon store clerk, who was the only one in the store at the time, decided to go macho and testified that he wasn't alarmed at all.

But in case you think there's no poetic justice in this world, about 3 AM one morning, 2 perpetrators entered the store and robbed it at gunpoint. Mr. Macho Clerk, who hadn't been alarmed 2 weeks prior, had both "wet and soiled himself" this time.

I couldn't resist making the remark "I guess you were alarmed this time!"

It was worth the reprimand.

Bob

Well Bob, what are you trying to say - That people who open carry should automatically be thrown in jail? Because, it does not matter what kind of gun (as long as it is legal) one carries! Also, that is pathetic, judging someone just by their appearance! Someone might be wearing that type of gun and hat because they were either just coming from or on their way to a Cowboy Action Shooting even. Or, a person might just choose to wear a single action revolver and a cowboy hat - its their right!!!

It sounds like you need to learn the law a little better!!! Open carry is legal!!! And, you had no right to do anything but politely smile and say hello. You are lucky the person did not press charges against you!

Ohio Patriot

imported post

Yea, I guess I was a bit taken back by RetLeo99's comments, too.

You know the type; one look and you decide this idiot just HAS to go to jail for something.

Sounds very JBT-ish, Bob. :X

Well, he was carrying this old revolver completely open. Had an old cowboy holster that tied around his leg and everything. Had a Stetson on and the whole getup. I guess I don't need to say this guy was well known to us and his elevator stopped short of the top floor.

If someone is open carrying and looking a bit shabby, it's O.K. for you to arrest them? :(

Well, we placed him under arrest

For what?!?!?! :cuss:

even found a crack pipe in his pocket on the pat down.

What justification did you have to detain him or do a Terry frisk? Did you have RAS that a crime had been committed, was being committed, or was about to be committed?

Next, a trip to the Prosecuting Attorney, where we were shocked to find out that we couldn't charge him with ANYTHING!!
GOOD. :)

The weapon was out and visible.

GOOD. :)

Couldn't use the crack pipe because the Judge ruled the arrest wasn't lawful to begin with.

GOOD CALL. :)

This left us with a piddly charge of Inducing Panic.

And, um, just who was panicking at the sight of him? You?

But we couldn't even get that because the brain surgeon store clerk, who was the only one in the store at the time, decided to go macho and testified that he wasn't alarmed at all.

Did it, um, ever occur to you that the store clerk was not alarmed?

But in case you think there's no poetic justice in this world, about 3 AM one morning, 2 perpetrators entered the store and robbed it at gunpoint. Mr. Macho Clerk, who hadn't been alarmed 2 weeks prior, had both "wet and soiled himself" this time.

So you're celebrating the fact that his store was robbed? :shock:

PLEASE PLEASEPLEASEtell me you weren't really an LEO, Bob. :X

Flintlock

imported post

RetLeo99 wrote:
Reminds me of the time many years ago when one of our fine upstandings walked into a local Convenience Store wearing an old cowboy type revolver. You know the type; one look and you decide this idiot just HAS to go to jail for something.

Well, we placed him under arrest, went through the whole yada yada; even found a crack pipe in his pocket on the pat down.

Next, a trip to the Prosecuting Attorney, where we were shocked to find out that we couldn't charge him with ANYTHING!! The weapon was out and visible. Couldn't use the crack pipe because the Judge ruled the arrest wasn't lawful to begin with.

This left us with a piddly charge of Inducing Panic. But we couldn't even get that because the brain surgeon store clerk, who was the only one in the store at the time, decided to go macho and testified that he wasn't alarmed at all.

Bob

You arrested him for commiting what crime? After reading over your comments a couple of times to make absolutely sure I didn't misunderstand, I would have to say that you and your partner completely violated his civil rights and are lucky that a full-fledge lawsuit wasn't involved in the aftermath.

And then to boast about it being worth the reprimand... :shock:

This site is dedicated to the lawful and opencarriage of arms and it's members are staunch 2nd amendment supporters, not to mention 4th amendment supportersand all the others as well. To come here as a new posterand display your thoughts in such an insensitive andcallous manner to the objective of this site is startling.. :?

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bob

You couldn't make an arrest becausethe citizenwasn't breaking the law. Then because the store clerk wouldn't back up your bogus actions you think it was poetic justice that he was later robbed at gunpoint. Sorry Bob I don't share your sense of humor or justice. Would it have been poetic justice if something had happened to you after trying to make a bogus arrest? Of course not. What if you were subsequently arrested and convicted of a crime you did not commit, would that be poetic justice? Again of course not. The first incident does not justify the second. Reexamine your thoughts and decide if being robbed at gunpoint is truly as humorous as your post seems to indicate.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

RetLeo99 wrote:
SNIP Next, a trip to the Prosecuting Attorney, where we were shocked to find out that we couldn't charge him with ANYTHING!! The weapon was out and visible. Couldn't use the crack pipe because the Judge ruled the arrest wasn't lawful to begin with.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but, if the Prosecutor said you couldn't charge him with anything, how did the judge come to be in a position to rule on the admissability of the crack pipe?

Sounds a little like the Red Queen in Through the Looking Glass, "Sentence first, verdict afterward."

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

RetLeo99 wrote:
SNIP You know the type; one look and you decide this idiot just HAS to go to jail for something.

The antithesis of a nation of laws.

The man decides he has to go to jail for something.

I guess I was right with the Red Queen analogy, "Sentence first, verdict afterward." You just carried it one step further and decided to carry out the verdict.

Who was your partner that night? The White Rabbit?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

RetLeo99 wrote:

Bob
Bob - OC is not "inducing panic" - it's normal constitutionally protected activity. Good thing the judge and Prosecutor schooled you on the law.

endtimer08

imported post

DAM, are we getting THAT old or are you just that young? lol Look like a better officer than alot i run into tho! Just don't let the badge and gun go to your head and you'll be just fine!:D

Jacksnack

imported post

Albert,

Good work on educating the moron at the door. Just do it politely. We all get pretty mad about these incidents, but by keeping calm and civil, WE come out on top.:)

MetalChris

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
RetLeo99 wrote:
...I'm a JBT...
And then to boast about it being worth the reprimand... :shock:
This loser is probably from O.com...I can't believe you guys even respond to this crap anymore. :) Oh wait, by responding to this I responded to him too... :uhoh: