• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Political activism and OCing

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:

Thanks Charles, for "kicking" our butts:lol:.

TJ
No. THANKS to the three of you. :celebrate:celebrate

When the kids and I picked up my wife from the convention she reported that Sen. Buttars had won the nomination on the second round of balloting (4 candidates on the first round) with 60.2% of the vote; and that Waddoups had easily won the nomination in his district as well. This means in SLCo the gun grabbers have been all but shut out this cycle. :D:celebrate State wide, they have unseated only one of our good guys so far, Rep. Aaron Tilton, and that was over some development issues down in Mapleton rather than anything the gun haters can claim credit for.

It is helpful beyond my ability to describe here for these candidates to have had VISIBLE assistence from gun owners. Yet another advantage of OC: the candidates KNOW who you are as you are there helping them.

I must warn you all though, one of the few things I've found as much fun and as addicting as shooting, is political involvment. Stick with it and you will be AMAZED at how much impact a very small number of highly dedicated people can have. The world really is run by the tiny number who bother to show up. And there is nothing like a little new blood in the ranks to really get everyone excited.

If at all possible, attend the State GOP convention next week. Again, Sen. Madsen could use an hour of your time Friday evening to dry run things and then a couple of hours Saturday AM.

And, be sure to mark you calendars now to attend the neighborhood caucuses March of 2010.

THANK YOU again. You guys are awesome.

Charles

UTOC-45-44

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:

Thanks Charles, for "kicking" our butts:lol:.

TJ
No. THANKS to the three of you. :celebrate:celebrate

When the kids and I picked up my wife from the convention she reported that Sen. Buttars had won the nomination on the second round of balloting (4 candidates on the first round) with 60.2% of the vote; and that Waddoups had easily won the nomination in his district as well. This means in SLCo the gun grabbers have been all but shut out this cycle. :D:celebrate State wide, they have unseated only one of our good guys so far, Rep. Aaron Tilton, and that was over some development issues down in Mapleton rather than anything the gun haters can claim credit for.

It is helpful beyond my ability to describe here for these candidates to have had VISIBLE assistence from gun owners. Yet another advantage of OC: the candidates KNOW who you are as you are there helping them.

I must warn you all though, one of the few things I've found as much fun and as addicting as shooting, is political involvment. Stick with it and you will be AMAZED at how much impact a very small number of highly dedicated people can have. The world really is run by the tiny number who bother to show up. And there is nothing like a little new blood in the ranks to really get everyone excited.

If at all possible, attend the State GOP convention next week. Again, Sen. Madsen could use an hour of your time Friday evening to dry run things and then a couple of hours Saturday AM.

And, be sure to mark you calendars now to attend the neighborhood caucuses March of 2010.

THANK YOU again. You guys are awesome.

Charles

"If at all possible, attend the State GOP convention next week. Again, Sen. Madsen could use an hour of your time Friday evening to dry run things and then a couple of hours Saturday AM."

???

I/We know about Saturday and will more than likely attend. What is the time and place for friday night, Charles ???

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
I/We know about Saturday and will more than likely attend. What is the time and place for friday night, Charles ???
Not sure of the details. Last time I spoke with Sen. Madsen he mentioned they were hoping to do a quick walk through Friday evening.

He mostly needs "tour guides" to help delegates find their way from the registration booth to whatever back 40 room is used for his Senate District Caucus.

Give his campaign a call or email to get details.

Thanks again.

Charles

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

OK, had some more fun today! UTOC-45-44 and I went to the State Republican convention today at Utah Valley State College. As soon as we parked and began to walk in, we found Rep. Curtis Oda and Mitch Vilos in the parking lot. We walked to the doors of the David O. McKay events center, and just before we went in, we were spotted by UVSC campus police. We entered the building, and they found us about 10 minutes later.

They asked us to show our Concealed Firearm Permits, to which we complied since we needed them to carry in a school. We were then instructed to conceal, or we would be ordered to leave. Mitch Vilos was still with us, so we began a debate with the officers. Two of them were very professional and polite, while their Sergeant was anything but. The officers claimed that two members from the Utah BCI recently "trained" them, stating that open carry was unlawful in a school.

After much debate, we agreed to cover up until the Attorney General was available to let them know we were OK. The two officers we fine with us open carrying, but said they were just doing what they were instructed to do. The two officers walked with us to our cars, where TJ put on his vest, and I untucked my shirt. On the way to the car, we actually received a number of positive comments from others. One guy said "Open Carry! All right!"

About 30 minutes later, the two officers came back to find us. They informed us that they spoke to Mark Shurtleff, and that he said that we were legal to open carry, as long as the weapons were not loaded. :? We were a bit miffed by this information, but could not argue since it came from the A.G. Plus we were just happy to be able to open carry the rest of the day. So we thanked the officers, and told them we would go unload. We went into the mens room, unloaded or firearms, and I tucked my shirt back in.

TJ can chime in with his account of the events, as I am sure that I have left out a lot of details. Since actions speak louder than words, here are some photos of us open carrying at UVSC.

This is myself, Mitch Vilos, UTOC-45-44, and Clark Aposhian.

UVSC.jpg

This is TJ, Officer Smith, Officer A. Smith, and Dell Schanze. Yes, they are both Smiths!

TJLEO.jpg

And one with me and the same people above.

KJLEO.jpg

UTOC-45-44

imported post

It was as Super Dell wouls say -"TOTALLY AWESOME".

The story was pretty much as SGTJensen said and I was glad that I had Clark Aposhian, Mitch Vilos and Attorney General Mark Shurtleff, who is the State Chief Officers, speed dials on my Ph and it was resolved VERY fast.

The thing the was told us wrongfully was that we had to unload and open carry. As "permit holders" we are excempt to carry loaded per 76-10-505. And the AG has to have this corrected even on STATE (Public) School Ground. But at least we were able to OC and Educated the Peopel as they once again asked ALOT of questions.

I feel honored as an immigrat that just became a U.S Citizen in januari to help the People inderstand their RIGHTS.

It was an AWESOME day.

TJ

P.S Mitch will be at the next Meet and share what happended, what was good and what was NOT so good. D.S

UTOC-45-44

imported post

From what I originally understand is that the UVSU Chief of the PD wanted to Arrest us and take our guns away.

Later during the day the Chief and Officer A. Smith came by the AG's booth and I shakedthe Chiefshand, this was AFTER SGTJensen left. He didn't feel too good due to the fact that his "Power" was taken away but the AG. His TOP boss.

I saw him circeling the area I was in for the rest of the day.

TJ

colormered

imported post

As it turns out, I was notified rather late Friday that I was needed to work Saturday, and am just now getting home. Wish I could have been there. When I heard rumors that I might have to work instead of attending the convention, I contacted Mark Madsens campaign to volunteer to make calls so I could at least feel like I had contributed in some way. Still wish I could have been there.

Waiting to hear more details of how things went..............................................

combatcarry

imported post

I just found this thread.

In the first picture with Shurtleff is he open carrying on his right side?

BTW. You guys look great. I didn't recognize B1acksmith without his Border Patrol hat... :p

UTOC-45-44

imported post

combatcarry wrote:
I just found this thread.

In the first picture with Shurtleff is he open carrying on his right side?

BTW. You guys look great. I didn't recognize B1acksmith without his Border Patrol hat... :p

Yup the AG is OCing his Glock 20.

It was great fun. I believe the 3 muskeeters will be there tonight:celebrate

TJ

PavePusher

imported post

Aww, you guys are so cute when you dress up!

Seriously, great job, sorry I missed it. Can't wait til I get up there next month. Hope to see some of you folks again.

P.S. - T.J., congrats on your citizenship, it's a heck of complement for us that someone wants to join our country. I hope we can live up to your expectations.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
Aww, you guys are so cute when you dress up!

Seriously, great job, sorry I missed it. Can't wait til I get up there next month. Hope to see some of you folks again.

P.S. - T.J., congrats on your citizenship, it's a heck of complement for us that someone wants to join our country. I hope we can live up to your expectations.

Thanks, PP :)lol:)

It will be fun now as we are moving in to the summer and we can have some shootin'n'Grub Meets.

See ya next month

TJ

usSiR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When is the next convention thing?

I would love to attend and help out, except for the most likelypossibility of my daughter being with me. But in June she will be at her grandparrents in IL and I have reserves in the 7th and 8th and will be in Vegas/CA the next week.

My mom might watch her since it would be for a political thing.

Pointman

imported post

That's a very nice cardboard cutout of Senator Michael Waddoups. :lol:

Francis Marion

imported post

Hi all, I just stumbled on this forum while planning a weekend road trip; great stuff!

I would first like to let you all know that there is a new A+ RKBA candidate for State Senate in District 5. You can check out his web site at http://www.votefidler.com. Any assistance you can offer would be greatly apprciated since he will have a tough fight against the incumbent.

mazellan819

imported post

Between school, work, and family, I don't have much time to do much of anything else. I have been giving OC presentations in many of my criminal justice classes and educating future local/fed Leos. Many of them had no idea and were under the impression that OC was illegal. I have OCed at each one of my presentations and one of my teachers was even Orem PD. Hopefully when I graduate (Aug 08, 3 more classes) and am only working I can get involved with some of these events.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

mazellan819 wrote:
Between school, work, and family, I don't have much time to do much of anything else. I have been giving OC presentations in many of my criminal justice classes and educating future local/fed Leos. Many of them had no idea and were under the impression that OC was illegal. I have OCed at each one of my presentations and one of my teachers was even Orem PD. Hopefully when I graduate (Aug 08, 3 more classes) and am only working I can get involved with some of these events.

Aug 8th ???

Hey let's meet for a brewster. It's my 10 year anniversary since I came to the States:celebrate

TJ

Outsider

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
This is TJ, Officer Smith, Officer A. Smith, and Dell Schanze. Yes, they are both Smiths!

TJLEO.jpg

And one with me and the same people above.

KJLEO.jpg

Does anyone notice that between these two pictures that Dell's face doesn't change at all?