• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter I sent to Colville PD

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I have family in Colville (Stevens County) and want to OC when I go out there this summer. So I got a little proactive with my approach... I'll send this to the Stevens County Sheriff's department as well. EDIT: Well they are backwards enough out there, that the SCSD doesn't seem to have an email contact :p I'll write them. Also, I sent this letter (modified slightly of course) to Thurston County Sheriff so see what comes of this.

Hi,
I am writing to ask if the Colville Police Department understands the legalities of openly carried sidearms. As I'm sure you already know, Washington State is an open carry state, which is to say a person may openly wear their sidearm in a manner consistent with state laws. As I am also sure you are aware, mere open display in and of itself is not unlawful, nor is a citizen complaint about the mere presence of a visible sidearm sufficient to warrant alarm. Several very large cities and counties in Washington have already acknowledged this in the form of training bulletins to their officers. King County, Seattle, Bellevue, and Olympia are just a few that come to mind. All currently known police bulletins on this subject may be viewed here. http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;cat=1

I would like to know if Colville PD understands that open carry is legal, and if there are any documents regarding the legalities of open carry that have been made available to your officers.

I appreciate your time and assistance in this manner and look forward to your reply.

Thank you,
Steve Coffman

heresolong

imported post

Might want to change the wording from "currently known training bulletins" which doesn't mean anything, to something like "training bulletins from several Washington cities".

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Already sent it, and currently known bulletins means that they are all the ones I know of. Also indicates there may be more out there that are not known. For instance they might already have one.

surfj9009

imported post

Good job at being proactive about it. Colville isn't to far from Spokane, so it will be interesting to see their response.