• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Questions

boogybren

imported post

Greetings!

I am always learning and exploring different options with regards to weapons carry. I am interested in OC, however am concerned by the fact that I am "showing my cards" so to speak.

Although I am sure this is rare, I don't want to invite confrontation just because an antagonizer notices my weapon and decides to be a jerk about it. In some aspects, concealing the weapon would lower the odds of this happening, simply because no one knows that I am packing.

I would like to know:

1. What your thoughts are regarding my concerns, do you have any tips/suggestions?
2. If you have been antagonized by someone because they saw your weapon and if so, how did you handle it?
3. Have you had someone try and reach/take your visible weapon?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

GeneticsDave

imported post

boogybren wrote:
1. What your thoughts are regarding my concerns, do you have any tips/suggestions?
2. If you have been antagonized by someone because they saw your weapon and if so, how did you handle it?
You have some legitimate concerns. I will do my best to answer them.

1. Open versus Concealed carry is debated constantly amongst those who carry a firearm for protection. Really there is no cut and dry answer. Proponents of concealed carry argue that concealed gives you a tactical advantage because the bad guy doesn't know you are armed. Open carriers say that by displaying the weapon, bad guys are deterred from committing violent or criminal acts in their presence. CC people then argue that the OC'er will be the first to get shot/attacked by the bad guy. OC'ers say that carrying openly shows the public that good guys (other than law enforcement and military) carry weapons too and that by stimulating discussion they not only educate the public but normalize firearms in the community and thus further the gun owner's cause. Really the choice is yours and depends on what YOU think is most likely to happen and what you feel comfortable with.

2. No one has antagonized me about openly carrying. I have had a couple people ask if it was legal - because they thought it wasn't. This is where education and being an upstanding citizen has its advantages. I have had the opportunity to educate and share my feelings about carrying to many people, hopefully giving them the courage and fortitude to decide that they will not be victims either. This is very rewarding.

3. No! Never have I had someone try to disarm me. I don't put it past anyone though, so I recommend using a holster with a secure retention system if you decide to carry openly. Don't rely on the tension mechanisms that are common in concealed carry holsters. BlackHawk makes SERPA level 2 and 3 retention holsters that are excellent. Trying to disarm someone is a good way to find yourself with a muzzel pointed at you or worse yet, getting shot. Don't let someone disarm you, take appropriate measures - get a good retention holster and stay in condition yellow - that should help prevent the incident in the first place.

Please post if there is anything else you would like opinions on or if clarification is in order.

boogybren

imported post

Thank you for taking time to share your perspective. There will always be someone that is a proponent/opponent either way. I really want to educate myself so that I make a decision that is right for me. That is really my only concern with OC. My intent is to protect myself and others when truly needed and not to invite trouble. I just don't want to become one of those guys that carry a gun just because they can and don't really take into account the responsibility behind doing so. If I do choose to OC, I see that there is huge value in understanding the law(s) behind it so that if ever confronted, you could confidently state the facts and educate the other person.

Is there any gunstores in Utah that carry the holsters you recommend? I would like to see one in person and test drive it. It seems that not many stores (at least the ones I have visited) have hoslters for lefties in stock or if they do, there's not a lot of options. If you can recommend one specifically for an XD40 4", even better!

Thanks again for your time and insight!

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

boogybren wrote:
Is there any gunstores in Utah that carry the holsters you recommend? I would like to see one in person and test drive it. It seems that not many stores (at least the ones I have visited) have hoslters for lefties in stock or if they do, there's not a lot of options. If you can recommend one specifically for an XD40 4", even better!
Many of us use the level 2 Blackhawk! Serpa holster. The part number for the lefty for an XD is 410507BK-L. I bought mine at Sportsman's Warehouse. Skaggs, Gunnies and Cabelas carry them also. Here is what it would look like.

serpa.jpg

b1ack5mith

imported post

open vs concealed is a tough choice for people... however, opencarrying proves a point, and allows the criminal to think before acting. if you were about to rob a liquor store, and you saw a gun on someones hip... what do you do? NOTHING, you dont want to taste lead lol

boogybren

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote
Many of us use the level 2 Blackhawk! Serpa holster. The part number for the lefty for an XD is 410507BK-L. I bought mine at Sportsman's Warehouse. Skaggs, Gunnies and Cabelas carry them also. Here is what it would look like.

serpa.jpg
Excellent! Thanks for the pic. I was at Gunnies today and must have missed this one. I will research it further.

GeneticsDave

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
boogybren wrote:

serpa.jpg
I bought mine online (mainly because I wanted the carbon fiber version and some other accessories). If you want to go up to North Salt Lake/Bountiful area, you could also get these at OPSGEAR http://www.opsgear.com/Blackhawk-CQC-SERPA-Holster-p/bh-cqc-serpa.htm

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

1. read this: http://www.tacticalresponse.com/d/node/169
a. carry your gun, always.
2. say 'no thank you' and walk away. If they follow yell STOP! if they continue, pepper spray them in the face and call 911
3. Once, I slapped his hand away and proceeded to lecture on why that was a very bad idea.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

boogybren wrote:
Greetings!

I am always learning and exploring different options with regards to weapons carry. I am interested in OC, however am concerned by the fact that I am "showing my cards" so to speak.

Although I am sure this is rare, I don't want to invite confrontation just because an antagonizer notices my weapon and decides to be a jerk about it. In some aspects, concealing the weapon would lower the odds of this happening, simply because no one knows that I am packing.

I would like to know:

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
1. With OC you will attract more attention to yourself. If you don't want that, or aren't comfortable with that, then you may want to go with a group of OC'ers and let them do the talking if needed. There are always a few of us here willing to go to dinner on short notice!

a. I think it's time for another OC meet up!

2. I've only had people look at the gun. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it outside of my family and the LA times reporter at our last meet up. (nobody has ever been rude or antagonistic) http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/9777.html

3. Never.

GeneticsDave

imported post

Just another idea on where to get things. I was told about Skaggs. While their staff weren't particularly friendly (they weren't rude, just not very social), they were helpful and the selection was good - they have a huge store.

It's located at:
3828 South Main Street
Salt Lake City, UT(801) 261-4400