• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

all type of bullets

mariaandefrem

imported post

anyone have a site for mesuarsing grains for all bullet types im new at reloading and have heard there's books out there but cant find themin any of my local book stores is there a good site for me to look at for this info.:)

all help will be greatful

thanks

dixiehacker

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mariaandefrem wrote:
anyone have a site for mesuarsing grains for all bullet types im new at reloading and have heard there's books out there but cant find themin any of my local book stores is there a good site for me to look at for this info.:)

thanks
I am not sure exactly what you are asking, are you asking for reloading data, ie how much powder goes with a particular bullet type? If so, lyman and speer both make excellent reloading manuals which you can get at local gun stores, or off tonnes of sites on the internet.

I reload 38, 45 ACP, and 45-70, so if you need any specific advice about any of those calibers, I would be happy to help you.

A good reloading manual is absolutely essential, so, I would highly recommend that you get one to learn more about the process, and get some safe recipies.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

dixiehacker wrote:
mariaandefrem wrote:

thanks
I am not sure exactly what you are asking, are you asking for reloading data, ie how much powder goes with a particular bullet type? If so, lyman and speer both make excellent reloading manuals which you can get at local gun stores, or off tonnes of sites on the internet.

I reload 38, 45 ACP, and 45-70, so if you need any specific advice about any of those calibers, I would be happy to help you.

A good reloading manual is absolutely essential, so, I would highly recommend that you get one to learn more about the process, and get some safe recipies.

+1 on the Speer manual.
I reload 38/357,45LC,45ACP,30/30,45/70,30/06,223,44Mag/spl 12 and 20 ga and a few others. Feel free to ask and be careful getting load data off the net.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Every time I read one of these threads I feel the itch to start reloading. Once my fiancee and I get everything settled I may be asking you guys for some advice.

vtme_grad98

imported post

mariaandefrem wrote:

thanks
In the interest of saving you from losing an appendage, I have the following advice. There is a man named Jerry that works the range at Superior Arms in Virginia Beach on Virginia Beach Blvd between Witchduck and Independence. He has been reloading for at least two decades. He also occasionally runs an NRA Reloading Course at the range. If you want to get into reloading, I suggest you call Superior to find out when he is working and then go talk to him some time while he is there.

vtme_grad98

imported post

On a side note, you aren't likely to find anything about reloading at any book stores in Hampton Roads. You might find one at some of the gun stores around here, but Amazon is your best bet for that.

I would also suggest you look at www.dillonprecision.com for supplies and your press. They have some of the best, if not the best, customer service.

hsmith

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Every time I read one of these threads I feel the itch to start reloading. Once my fiancee and I get everything settled I may be asking you guys for some advice.
ARFCOM has some pretty good tutorials on where to go, what books to read and all to get started http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=9

The ABC's of reloading and Speers data guides are must haves.

If you plan to start shooting more, reloading is a must. I would like to start hitting the range at least once a week, so i need to get into it. Consider a case of 223 now, quality is ~$0.40 a round. You start pressing your own and you can get ~$0.18 a round.

You spend $500-600 on a good setup and 3000 round later it is paid for.

FogRider

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Same here, but I am lucky enought to be able to get into it for next to nothing. My dad has enough reloading equipment that he can give me his old (but still functional) equipment, and still have enough to reload for himself. So now I just need a place to put it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

FogRider wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Same here, but I am lucky enought to be able to get into it for next to nothing. My dad has enough reloading equipment that he can give me his old (but still functional) equipment, and still have enough to reload for himself. So now I just need a place to put it.

I started loading in 65 and I think all the original equipment I started with is still functional. It's like everything else though...you keep upgrading and adding to. My favorite presses are still that first RCBS Rockchucker amd a masssive Herters C press.

FogRider

imported post

peter nap wrote:

I started loading in 65 and I think all the original equipment I started with is still functional. It's like everything else though...you keep upgrading and adding to. My favorite presses are still that first RCBS Rockchucker amd a masssive Herters C press.
The stuff I'll be getting is all RCBS equipment older than me. A little slower than the multiple station rig my dad is keeping, but it still works. That's one of the nice things about reloading, and firearms in general: The technology doesn't really change much, it just gets faster.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

FogRider wrote:
peter nap wrote:

The stuff I'll be getting is all RCBS equipment older than me. A little slower than the multiple station rig my dad is keeping, but it still works. That's one of the nice things about reloading, and firearms in general: The technology doesn't really change much, it just gets faster.
RCBS is hard to beat for a mainstay press. They are one of the few that are sturdy enough too swage with without loosening up. I have a Dillon that I use to crank out a lot of ammo in the shortest time but still go the RCBS for swaging, rifle cartridges and some of the hotter handgun loads.

For precision rifle cartridge loads (long range stuff) I still use the Lee hand style loaders in an arbor press.

dixiehacker

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I do my loading on a Dillon 550, I can crank out 38's and 45's almost as fast as I can shoot them. I got the strong mount for the press, and since it has such a large base, I can set it on a table, and use C clamps to keep it attached, then take it down when I am done. For people who have limited space, this works great.

C45P312

imported post

I use this and picked it up @ Bobs in Norfolk (~$25):

Haven't reloaded handgun yet, but use Varget for .308 as well

41ED601FGNL._AA262_.jpg

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ok, that's it. Once we get the remodeling done on the house, I'm building the workbench as is already planned and looking for some used reloading equipment to get started. I still haven't purchased the 3 rifles I want so I'll be starting on .45 ACP and 9mm. I have been collecting my brass for about 6 months, separating it by caliber and bagging it up into 1000 rd bags just for when I started. I only have about 3k .45 and 2.5k 9mm but that is enough to get started.

Heck, I learned how to rebuild car engines by reading books. I can't imagine this is more complicated. There will be a lot of "tricks" and "hints" to learn that won't be in the books, but I have always been good at learning and retaining from a good manual.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Ok, that's it. Once we get the remodeling done on the house, I'm building the workbench as is already planned and looking for some used reloading equipment to get started. I still haven't purchased the 3 rifles I want so I'll be starting on .45 ACP and 9mm. I have been collecting my brass for about 6 months, separating it by caliber and bagging it up into 1000 rd bags just for when I started. I only have about 3k .45 and 2.5k 9mm but that is enough to get started.

Heck, I learned how to rebuild car engines by reading books. I can't imagine this is more complicated. There will be a lot of "tricks" and "hints" to learn that won't be in the books, but I have always been good at learning and retaining from a good manual.

It's not hard at all Deepdiver. Go slow at first, use the published loads in the manual and stay organized. It's very hard to make a mistake if you follow those rules.

C45P312

imported post

peter nap wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

It's not hard at all Deepdiver. Go slow at first, use the published loads in the manual and stay organized. It's very hard to make a mistake if you follow those rules.
I agree. Also, see if someone local of you reloads and just watch the process. I wasn't sold on how easy it was until I saw it first hand.