• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Study of gun shows limited

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080428/METRO/889329770/1004

RICHMOND (AP) — The Virginia State Crime Commission will take a limited look at the private sale of guns at shows, which has been criticized by advocates of gun control.

In Virginia, private sellers at gun shows don't have to run background checks of prospective customers. Critics demanded the so-called "loophole" be closed after the Virginia Tech killings.

Proponents of such sales point out that the Tech gunman did not buy his weapons from a show. Lawmakers in the General Assembly session this year killed legislation designed to address the issue.

Meeting last week, the Crime Commission agreed to study state and federal firearms laws so the Assembly will have a clear understanding in future debates on gun-show law.

However, commission members decided they will not recommend proposed laws because of the political divisiveness of the issue.

Only licensed firearms dealers are now required to conduct criminal-background checks of buyers at gun shows in Virginia.

In September, the Crime Commission may direct staff members to try to obtain statistics on the number of gun-show sales by unlicensed sellers and how many of those firearms wind up being used in crimes.

First, the 13-member commission will hear from the Virginia State Police on whether such data are available. The commission also may decide in September whether to hold a public hearing on the matter.

Col. W. Gerald Massengill, former superintendent of the state police and a member of the Crime Commission, told fellow members: "I feel very strongly about the Second Amendment. ... I also feel strongly about public safety."

Col. Massengill, chairman of the governor's panel that reviewed last year's Virginia Tech killings, said he favors more thorough background checks on gun-show purchases.

Delegate Kenneth R. Melvin, Portsmouth Democrat, said further study is a waste of time and money.

"It might as well be the public policy in Virginia that if you're not a convicted felon, we want you armed to the teeth," he said.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA LEO FOAD

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think Massengill would agree with Melvin, being that Massengill in another article said, "more guns on campus, just the idea of guns, doesn't appear to be a prudent thing." He said he was disappointed that the "gun show loophole bill" didn't pass, and explained that allowing concealed carry on campus may cause problems.

Thundar

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I think Massengill would agree with Melvin, being that Massengill in another article said, "more guns on campus, just the idea of guns, doesn't appear to be a prudent thing." He said he was disappointed that the "gun show loophole bill" didn't pass, and explained that allowing concealed carry on campus may cause problems.

Massengilis a police officer. He should know that from a law enforcement point of view, open carry is not prohibited and concealed carry is permitted with a concealed carry permit at any public college in the Commonwealth.Massengil has no say in allowing anything on campus.

Shame onMassengil for advocating the unilateralabrogation of the property rights of Virginians.

Melvin's suggestion armed to the teeth is a worthy goal. Perhaps he would introduce a bill to provide tax breaks based upon how many functional firearms a person possessed.

:)

Live Free or Die,

Thundar

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman quoted:
SNIP Delegate Kenneth R. Melvin, Portsmouth Democrat, said further study is a waste of time and money.

"It might as well be the public policy in Virginia that if you're not a convicted felon, we want you armed to the teeth," he said.

This is one of those quoteable moments.

I wonder how far we can run with this quote. I can see the bumper stickers now.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
...Delegate Kenneth R. Melvin, Portsmouth Democrat, said further study is a waste of time and money.

"It might as well be the public policy in Virginia that if you're not a convicted felon, we want you armed to the teeth" he said...

Can you guys and VCDL see about proposing just such a law?

Gee - paradise!

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Col. W. Gerald Massengill, former superintendent of the state police and a member of the Crime Commission, told fellow members: "I feel very strongly about the Second Amendment. ... I also feel strongly about public safety."

Tyrant, Doug? ;)