• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do we stop the...

Carondalet

imported post

who do we need to talk to to stop the "hit this college poll" and "keep hitting this poll" and "are you doing your part" poll when we refresh the latest topics? It's a little annoying, yes?

imperialism2024

imported post

We've kind of been through this.

I hated them for the longest time, but I eventually gave in. They do help support our cause... my logic is that we're not really distorting the numbers much, as polls on news sites probably disproportionately reflect the views of soccer moms, yuppies, and other anti-gunners who have the time to sit around and read local news sites. As unscientific as they are, many news agencies use these polls as fact in their articles... so we may as well make sure that the polls go in our favor and the article hopefully reflects this, or that the news agency just scraps the idea altogether because they didn't get the poll results they wanted.

I do think there should be a separate forum for polls, though. They're kind of OT in the forums we have now...

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

They are kinda pointless IMHO, but someone may take stock in them so they no need to ban them. You are free not to read them. :p

BillMCyrus

imported post

Thomas Jefferson said you tend to get the government you don't vote against, and in many ways that applies to public opinion as well. Whatever means we have to speak up on our behalf we should do so. Our silence has consequences we all hate.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Gotta agree, Doug.

I have commented within the gun poll threads that I think it is probably pretty much pointless. But, as Imperialism said, there are news programs which report the outcomes on national newscasts. I've heard news shows a number of time say something like, "In our online poll asking "____" you, the viewers voted blah blah blah". So I go ahead and vote. It isn't going to hurt us and it probably won't help us, but the 15 seconds it takes I'll do it. Also, I have found some links to some rather interesting things going to some of the polls.

Flintlock

imported post

Lots of sheeple out there wholeheartedlybelieve in polls, even the online ones.Quite frankly, I think it effects the thought processes of a lot of people, unfortunately.

I have watchedthese pollsmentioned and postedmany times over the news over the course of a good manyyears and the excuse that it is"nota scientific poll" isused often when it doesn't come out in their favor.

Eh, it takes like 10 seconds to participate and it might actually be of some good to us. So, why not...